• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Weapon question...(Sorry, can"t help it!!!:lol2:)

As I sit here at home, furloughed during the Federal government SHITDOWN, I am debating whether I should become a Certified NRA Instructor in irder to supplement my income in the future. Since the SB281-mandated HQL training just became effective, and since it is known that MD lacks sufficient instructors for the masses needing this course, I see an opportunity in between all the doom and gloom.

Sooooo....I went to the NRA website and accessed the training link, but I still was not able to obtain a clear answer to my questions:

1. Does one HAS to take the NRA Basic Pistol and/or Basic Rifle AND be recommended by the instructor in order to apply for an NRA Instructor course and certification?

2. Furthermore, does MSP accept the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor certification for the purposes of the HQL minimum training requirements?

3. Finally, does the NRA or MSP have an issue with teaching the material in a language other than English, for, say, the benefit of recent immigrants to this great country?

I will appreciate the input.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    Here are some answers:

1. A person does not have to have taken the NRA Basic Pistol or Basic rifle courses to be able to take the Instructor level courses. But, there is a Pre-Qualification for each in which the Instructor candidate must demonstrate proficiency with firearms. There is a range component to the Pre-Qualification.

2. As far as I am aware at this time (this information from the MSP has changed in the past and may well change in the future), the MSP will accept an Instructor certified by a NRO (Nationally Recognized Organization). The NRA meets that requirement. I believe that the MSP requires the Instructor to have been teaching for at least a year.

3. I am not aware of course materials available from either the NRA or the MSP in any language other than English. I don’t know what their position is on an Instructor interpreting the course materials but I would imagine that they would have some minimum language proficiency requirements, not that someone purchased a Rosetta Stone Spanish course.

I hope this helps. I’m sure that others here will have more specific information.

Matt Guilfoyle

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Instructor couuse

Here are some answers:

1. A person does not have to have taken the NRA Basic Pistol or Basic rifle courses to be able to take the Instructor level courses. But, there is a Pre-Qualification for each in which the Instructor candidate must demonstrate proficiency with firearms. There is a range component to the Pre-Qualification.

2. As far as I am aware at this time (this information from the MSP has changed in the past and may well change in the future), the MSP will accept an Instructor certified by a NRO (Nationally Recognized Organization). The NRA meets that requirement. I believe that the MSP requires the Instructor to have been teaching for at least a year.

3. I am not aware of course materials available from either the NRA or the MSP in any language other than English. I don’t know what their position is on an Instructor interpreting the course materials but I would imagine that they would have some minimum language proficiency requirements, not that someone purchased a Rosetta Stone Spanish course.

I hope this helps. I’m sure that others here will have more specific information.

Matt Guilfoyle

Matt,

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. On Q.3, I will caveat my response by saying that I am not a proponent of translating everything or teaching everything in Spanish or any other language....but sometimes there is a language barrier. I also believe that English should be the official language and that immigrants need to assimilate, while keeping their rich culture and traditions. For the record, I am an American (FIRST!) of Hispanic/Latino origins. Then again, I am also 1/8 Cherokee.

My rationale is that we (the 2A defenders) have both a great opportunity and an untapped market with the thousands of new immigrants flooding our state each year. I am talking legal immigrants, not illegal aliens. Most countries in Latin America have repressive governments that do nothing for the little guy...I would like to be an agent of influence and start "marketing" our civil liberties and rights to this group of people. Once they learn the truth and founding principles of out Republic, I think these immigrants will choose to exercise their rights and stay away from progressive/statist dogma.

I may be wrong, but I know and relate with many immigrant families, and overall, they are very conservative, religious and appreciate their new-found liberties and opportunities in America. And language should not be an impediment to exercising your God-given rights. Equally, I do not see how Maryland will deny 2A rights to people based on their inability to understand English. We have to use every weapon (here I go again!) at our disposal to tear the HQL/SB281 requirements as unconstitutional.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    I certainly don’t have an issue with people exercising their 2nd Amendment rights if they have a language barrier. I’m just not aware of any of the programs that we have referred to having a non-English course available. I know a fluent Spanish speaking NRA Training Counselor and will ask him about it when I get the chance.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Matt,

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. On Q.3, I will caveat my response by saying that I am not a proponent of translating everything or teaching everything in Spanish or any other language....but sometimes there is a language barrier. I also believe that English should be the official language and that immigrants need to assimilate, while keeping their rich culture and traditions. For the record, I am an American (FIRST!) of Hispanic/Latino origins. Then again, I am also 1/8 Cherokee.

My rationale is that we (the 2A defenders) have both a great opportunity and an untapped market with the thousands of new immigrants flooding our state each year. I am talking legal immigrants, not illegal aliens. Most countries in Latin America have repressive governments that do nothing for the little guy...I would like to be an agent of influence and start "marketing" our civil liberties and rights to this group of people. Once they learn the truth and founding principles of out Republic, I think these immigrants will choose to exercise their rights and stay away from progressive/statist dogma.

I may be wrong, but I know and relate with many immigrant families, and overall, they are very conservative, religious and appreciate their new-found liberties and opportunities in America. And language should not be an impediment to exercising your God-given rights. Equally, I do not see how Maryland will deny 2A rights to people based on their inability to understand English. We have to use every weapon (here I go again!) at our disposal to tear the HQL/SB281 requirements as unconstitutional.

marte616,

The NRA the basic course available in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish, but I do see the value in teaching it in someone's native language to make sure that the information is clear. Many NRA Training counselors will not accept you into an instructor course without having prior teaching, or training experiences from other recognized courses and many prefer and/or mandate that an Instructor Applicant attend the basic course they want to teach prior to taking an Instructor Course.

Check out IWLA Frederick for upcoming classes and contact Ben Kelkye. Ben is one of five NRA Chief Instructors. He also teaches the best and least expensive instructor courses in this area. Talk with Ben and provide him with your background and shooting experiences. He'll give you good advice and let you know the best way to get you where you want to be.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    ...Check out IWLA Frederick for upcoming classes and contact Ben Kelkye. Ben is one of five NRA Chief Instructors. He also teaches the best and least expensive instructor courses in this area. Talk with Ben and provide him with your background and shooting experiences. He'll give you good advice and let you know the best way to get you where you want to be.

Training is posted at www.frederickiwla.org. Ben is probably most easily contacted through his website at www.kelkye.com. That's also where you can find his his current training schedule. I believe his 2014 training schedule will be posted by mid-December.

Ben trains more than 500 students a year, at probably the lowest cost of anyone in the area, with all profits going to the youth program that he runs at the Frederick IWLA. In-turn, the youth program is 100% free to all participants.

All that to say that if you see a class you want, move quick because they fill up fast!

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Hey everyone,

I'm signed up to take the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course tomorrow through Saturday with Ben Kelke, has anyone taken any classes from him? Any thoughts or suggestions I should be aware of before heading in?

If you made it to the class, then we were classmates. What did you think?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Training is posted at www.frederickiwla.org. Ben is probably most easily contacted through his website at www.kelkye.com. That's also where you can find his his current training schedule. I believe his 2014 training schedule will be posted by mid-December.

Ben trains more than 500 students a year, at probably the lowest cost of anyone in the area, with all profits going to the youth program that he runs at the Frederick IWLA. In-turn, the youth program is 100% free to all participants.

All that to say that if you see a class you want, move quick because they fill up fast!

Ben is a great instructor and one of the best TCs in the area!

I still learn things from him whenever we get together.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Crap I meant to take this....duh!

I wondered about that. The 2014 training schedule should be out around mid-December, or perhaps another Training Counselor will let you take Basic Pistol Instruction as a stand alone course.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I wondered about that. The 2014 training schedule should be out around mid-December, or perhaps another Training Counselor will let you take Basic Pistol Instruction as a stand alone course.

Yea I just forgot got a lot going on. Ill talk to ben.

Colt Justice

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ben is great. He's to the point, is a stickler for time management, as it should be, and DO NOT SAY the W word! Ever. He WILL catch it! lol I never use it anyway, so I was fine, but a few others in my class are filing for bankruptcy. lol

The BIT class is more about time management and presentation that it is about substance.
    The Basic Pistol class is about time management AND substance. I just took his class in early Sept. He's a great guy.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Ben is very good at what he does. Anyone starting out can learn a lot from him.

As for weapon, I've said it. Can't help it (LE background). Although I understand the reasoning for the NRA not liking the word weapon, I do feel that there is a place for it in defensive firearms training. In our defensive handgun classes, we stress the use of verbal commands in giving an attacker instructions as to what you want him to do and the phrase "drop the weapon" is powerful, not only on the range or in a situation but also in court to a judge and jury.

Colt Justice

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I understand why they discourage the use of the word. And in most of their classes I agree with it. But I think in Personal Protection in the Home and Outside the Home it should be allowed. The fact is, the gun is being used as a weapon in those classes. You're not target shooting or hunting, but protecting your life, or someone else's. And that requires a weapon in that context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom