• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    Morgantown area is very nice. Graffton, Cheat Lake, Coopers Rock, etc. Last time I was there I got a haircut for $3.00, can't beat that!

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    I've seen quite a few out-of-state people from New England and md that have moved there because it sounds good, but they don't often stay too long. Last family I know of started building a house then left before it was even completed.

The problem is that they like the postcard look. Unless folks can change THEIR mindsets, they will NEVER be able to become accustomed to the way of life in WV. It is dramatically different than most perceive, even when they come to visit one of the many tourist attractions here.

What they get is not just culture shock, but the shock of a culture that doesn't embrace change with open arms; especially from those with gilded tongues who think themselves better than the local folk. ;)

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Ive been looking too and 25443 seems to be some oddball zipcode where the median income is high and the graduation rate is high. Proximity to Martinsburg, MARC station and a college town?

Based on my calculations, living in WV vs. Montgomery County, I would save about $8k/year in taxes on the same "type" of house.

Income tax rate is 6.5%. Which is 1% more, BEFORE you include MD County Income tax, which for me in Mont. is 3.2%.

Property Tax rate is roughly half. Homeowners insurance is a tad more ($200), Car insurance is less ($500), State Sales Tax is 6% in both. One huge difference is the amount you can deduct in 529 plans. But I havent researched how good WV's plans are vs. MD. I know MD has a really good 529, but you can only deduct $2500. WV lets you deduct $25k.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    Wife and I are looking at moving out that way at some point within the next 3-5 years. Need to take care of a few things first and do some more research, but she has family out there, used to live there, and has more able-bodied friends and relatives in the Frederick area, which is good for familial support when you have three kids.

Just tired of feeling like I'm living in a nanny state, and as far as the whole gun thing goes, with SB-281, it just doesn't seem like it's going to get any better any time soon.

In the meantime, I'm finally graduating college next month, and immediately starting an MBA program. I'm hoping an advanced degree and what will be two decades of experience will help me in finding a job in any one of a number of nearby locations (Martinsburg, Charles Town, Frederick, Harper's Ferry, perhaps Leesburg/Herndon/Reston). I'm banking on the economy hopefully starting to turn around, or at least level out some, by that time.

Here's to taking the blue pill.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    But do they have a dentist there to take care of my tooth? :D

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Born and raised in West-by-God Virginia and it is still paradise to me. My farm sits on nearly 100 acres with my nearest neighbor a bit over 1/2 mile away. There are no other lights visible from my place at night.
    The road getting to it is single lane for nearly 5 miles and doesn't get plowed when it snows (which is often during the winter). Power goes off regularly, but we are prepared for that and really don't even notice. An artesian well feeds the property and house, so that is not a problem.

Some of the neighbors are colorful, but extremely friendly (al least to me and my family being born and bred there). I can shoot out to 300 yards from my back porch and 500 yards up on the ridge.

Nearest grocery store is a country store about 10 miles away and a large store is about 40 miles away. Which works fine for us.

I encourage all conservatives and gun owners to move to WV with open arms. There are a lot of Democrat/Union types in the state unfortunately.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Democrat/Union types in the state unfortunately.

It seems the Dems in that state are of a different breed though. Old school Dems like my parents. Folks that wouldn't be welcomed in Montgomery County!

I love WV. If my job were in Frederick I'd probably be moving there. Good hiking, gun rights, Snowshoe mountain and badass bars. And the nicest folks I've ever met.

Would love to have a big piece of land out there with a herd of children and dogs running around. Dirtbike track and shooting range in the back. And a barn with a car lift.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    It seems the Dems in that state are of a different breed though. Old school Dems like my parents. Folks that wouldn't be welcomed in Montgomery County!

I love WV. If my job were in Frederick I'd probably be moving there. Good hiking, gun rights, Snowshoe mountain and badass bars. And the nicest folks I've ever met.

Would love to have a big piece of land out there with a herd of children and dogs running around. Dirtbike track and shooting range in the back. And a barn with a car lift.

Many are, but there are still a lot of people living on the government dole. SSD and the such that will vote for more handouts if that is an option.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Born and raised in West-by-God Virginia and it is still paradise to me.

There are a lot of Democrat/Union types in the state unfortunately.

Whereabouts? Elkins myself, living in Wood Co after retreating from MD...

They are old school, not the liberal variety. I'm a Snowshoe Mtn Brat, born and raised. :party29:

Many are, but there are still a lot of people living on the government dole. SSD and the such that will vote for more handouts if that is an option.

There are, but thankfully they'll vote for their beliefs prior to voting for a paycheck funnily enough. Unlike say, Baltimore City... ;)

wvuguy88

Sep 11, 2013
    garrett
    I grew up in Canaan Valley, and loved it. I lived there for 21 years. My family still lives there and also in elkins, we have alot of land outside elkins that we hunt on. I will be moving back once we get everything in order. The worst part about it will be a 1-1.5 hr commute to work.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Whereabouts? Elkins myself, living in Wood Co after retreating from MD...

They are old school, not the liberal variety. I'm a Snowshoe Mtn Brat, born and raised. :party29:

There are, but thankfully they'll vote for their beliefs prior to voting for a paycheck funnily enough. Unlike say, Baltimore City... ;)

Braxton County, EAST of the Elk river. Pretty sparsely populated area, although I can get to I-79 in short order (20 minutes).

Elkins is a beautiful town IMO. We were there this past Thursday eating at CJ Maggies, one of our favorite restaurants.

Last edited:

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Braxton County, west of the Elk river. Pretty sparsely populated area, although I can get to I-79 in short order (20 minutes).

Elkins is a beautiful town IMO. We were there this past Thursday eating at CJ Maggies, one of our favorite restaurants.

Cool! Elkins is an interesting beast as far as its history is concerned. I love visiting, but many of the things that used to be there as recently as 20 years ago are all but gone or are massively diminished. There were considerably more culture and arts in the area, but a core group of "liberal 'elite'" (In their own minds) intertwined themselves into all of it and pushed everyone out whom they didn't deem "fitting".

As a result, people just stopped bothering to avoid dealing with those folks and many things imploded upon themselves. Cafes, festivals, community theater, etc etc.

An excellent small-town example of just what liberal elitism can and will do, regardless of scale.

That said, I'm still angry with Maggies... they got rid of the Gepeto from their menu, which has been my favorite sandwich there for over 20 years :mad54:

d2mnem

Aug 18, 2012
    Moved from Maryland to WV this year. Great experience so far. It cost <400.00 to register 3 autos and 2 trailers. Drivers license was cheap to get. But had to have good documentation on my wife's name change! State income tax withholding seems to have gone down about 7%. Downside is the job is still in Maryland; drive to decent stores is 30-45 minutes (winchester or Hagerstown). Gas is more expensive. But I have 150 acres to play on! Taxes on house and the property is about the same as house and 4 acres in Maryland. I think there may be some college expense benefits when the kids are older - haven't researched that in detail yet. So for our situation, it has worked well so far.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Moved from Maryland to WV this year. Great experience so far. It cost <400.00 to register 3 autos and 2 trailers. Drivers license was cheap to get. But had to have good documentation on my wife's name change! State income tax withholding seems to have gone down about 7%. Downside is the job is still in Maryland; drive to decent stores is 30-45 minutes (winchester or Hagerstown). Gas is more expensive. But I have 150 acres to play on! Taxes on house and the property is about the same as house and 4 acres in Maryland. I think there may be some college expense benefits when the kids are older - haven't researched that in detail yet. So for our situation, it has worked well so far.

I like what you are talking about! It is some time before retirement, but I'd like to buy up some acreage in the woods for a future cabin for hunting and just relaxing. With younger kids and work responsibilities, it will be some time before I can decamp from the "free state" anytime soon.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Cool! Elkins is an interesting beast as far as its history is concerned. I love visiting, but many of the things that used to be there as recently as 20 years ago are all but gone or are massively diminished. There were considerably more culture and arts in the area, but a core group of "liberal 'elite'" (In their own minds) intertwined themselves into all of it and pushed everyone out whom they didn't deem "fitting".

As a result, people just stopped bothering to avoid dealing with those folks and many things imploded upon themselves. Cafes, festivals, community theater, etc etc.

An excellent small-town example of just what liberal elitism can and will do, regardless of scale.

That said, I'm still angry with Maggies... they got rid of the Gepeto from their menu, which has been my favorite sandwich there for over 20 years :mad54:

That is true. They are trying to bring some of it back with the Scenic Railroad and Mountain Theater. Forest Festival time is still a hoot. And there is always the Ramp Feed in the park...

If you want scared, I'll take you another hour up in the hills from there to where my Dad's family is from. We'll go up Dry Fork and stop in Whitmer on the way to Spruce Knob and the Sinks of Gandy :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom