• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I live in Annapolis. I've been shooting on and off for the last 10 years. I hunted when I was younger but not recently, just target shooting. Thought I would start hand loading my 270 win. I have 2 Remington 700 in win 270 and 5.56 AR, a Remington 597 in 22lr and Remington 870. Seeing as how 270 is most expensive to shoot and that I wanted to look at longer range shooting. Thought I would reload my own. So I got hands dies and the other appropriate tools and chronograph. I was an initial member at AA Fish and Game but the times you can shoot center fire are so restrictive just could never get off work to shoot at the 100 yard rifle range.

So for the last two years I've traveled to HAP Baker but it is a long way, you wait forever and while it is controlled you are not setting up chronies to start ladders working up loads, Frustrating to say the least. So seeing as I do not own my own farm what the hell is a man to do? I would really like to do this just so many road blocks

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I live in Annapolis. I've been shooting on and off for the last 10 years. I hunted when I was younger but not recently, just target shooting. Thought I would start hand loading my 270 win. I have 2 Remington 700 in win 270 and 5.56 AR, a Remington 597 in 22lr and Remington 870. Seeing as how 270 is most expensive to shoot and that I wanted to look at longer range shooting. Thought I would reload my own. So I got hands dies and the other appropriate tools and chronograph. I was an initial member at AA Fish and Game but the times you can shoot center fire are so restrictive just could never get off work to shoot at the 100 yard rifle range.

So for the last two years I've traveled to HAP Baker but it is a long way, you wait forever and while it is controlled you are not setting up chronies to start ladders working up loads, Frustrating to say the least. So seeing as I do not own my own farm what the hell is a man to do? I would really like to do this just so many road blocks

Well, the obvious answer is to move to another location. However, if that is not a possibility, you have to compromise.

A slightly closer range to you other than Hap Baker would be Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore or AGC for short. It is off of Marriotsville Road her just over the line in Carroll County. Granted, still not in your back door, but the ability to shoot 100 is there, along with 200 and I don't think there are any time limitations as long as the range is open. I have shot there before and will be joining in late April.

There is a Range Finder app available too. Think I got it from the NSSF website, but not completely sure. It is pretty awesome for finding places to shoot. Just checked it on my phone and it is indeed from the NSSF. Here is the internet version with the app shown on it:

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/

Find friends that shoot. The more friends you have, the more knowledge you can share and the more opportunities you can share to go shooting.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    AGC. You can set a chrono up there as well. It's a great range, you never have to wait at the 100 yard range even on busy days.

They also have a pistol range, 200 yard range, trap and archery.

At $150 per year I figured 10 trips would pay for itself at Hap Baker rates, plus savings of gas since Hap is at least a half hour farther for you then the AGC would be.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    AGC. You can set a chrono up there as well. It's a great range, you never have to wait at the 100 yard range even on busy days.

At $150 per year I figured 10 trips would pay for itself at Hap Baker rates, plus savings of gas since Hap is at least a half hour farther for you then the AGC would be.

Part of the reason I wanted to move to western Howard County is because AGC is located less than 15 minutes up the road from me. The other major reason was the school system. In hindsight, Carroll County might have been a better choice but I am here for the time being until politics in this state push me past the point of no return.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Part of the reason I wanted to move to western Howard County is because AGC is located less than 15 minutes up the road from me. The other major reason was the school system. In hindsight, Carroll County might have been a better choice but I am here for the time being until politics in this state push me past the point of no return.

I hear you. I live in Baltimore and it is starting to drive me nuts. I've been thinking a lot lately about moving, if it was easy to get a new job I probably would have already.

spicedcrab

Feb 10, 2013
    I know what you are saying and dont have any better idea's for you, sorry.

I have been wanting to join AA Fish and Game but don't know how to join. Do I need to know someone, or be recommended by someone?

Thanks, John

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Stop shooting ladders and switch to the OCW method. As for the chronies, I don't bother until OCW tells me I have a good load.

Another fan of OCW.

I shoot my workup over the chrono because I am lazy and don't want to have to chrono later. :)

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

I have been wanting to join AA Fish and Game but don't know how to join. Do I need to know someone, or be recommended by someone?

Thanks, John

John, just start by going to a couple of the days that they allow non-members to shoot. Meet some people and help out wherever needed. From there you should find a sponsor. Check this out for more info.
    http://www.aafg.org/docs/Score/Score_January_2014.pdf

Sorry for the hijack OP. BTW, did you check Berwyn? I don't know much about it, but maybe you will have some luck.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis

Thanks, John
    Yes you need to know someone there. The individual I knew moved to to Virginia. They have open shoot days on their calendar. So you can check it out and see if someone will sponsor you.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis

I've seen it but never really considered it. I work by BWI so it could be worse. We could live in Spain.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Well, the obvious answer is to move to another location. However, if that is not a possibility, you have to compromise.

A slightly closer range to you other than Hap Baker would be Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore or AGC for short. It is off of Marriotsville Road her just over the line in Carroll County. Granted, still not in your back door, but the ability to shoot 100 is there, along with 200 and I don't think there are any time limitations as long as the range is open. I have shot there before and will be joining in late April.

There is a Range Finder app available too. Think I got it from the NSSF website, but not completely sure. It is pretty awesome for finding places to shoot. Just checked it on my phone and it is indeed from the NSSF. Here is the internet version with the app shown on it:

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/

Find friends that shoot. The more friends you have, the more knowledge you can share and the more opportunities you can share to go shooting.
    Thanks!! Looks like ACG is a possibility. My offices are around BWI so some afternoon trips would not be bad.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis

Thanks I will definitely look into joining there.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    good luck with the reloading. .270 is a great load to do. Cost savings and when you shoot them you generally gage accuracy and consistancy of the load. Start towards the lower end of loads and work your way up to works best in you rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom