Thought I'd say hi - 24, looking for first gun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey all, thought I would stop by this section and introduce myself.

I'm a 24 year old guy living in Silver Spring, MD. I work part time as a marketing professional, and attend graduate school part time. I have absolutely no experience with firearms aside from the occasional rifle class at summer camp.

Well, I'm here and I'm looking to find the right gun for me. I've done a fair amount of research, and while I don't know most things, I think I have the generals of what I'm looking for figured out. But, I need help on both the process to get it and what it is I should be getting! That's where you guys are absolutely invited to weigh in and give me your thoughts.

1) .22 LR handgun - pistol or revolver is OK

2) Price range - $150-$400 (firearm only; application/fingerprint fees not included)
    3) Accepting of a fair amount of types of ammo (something that can accept lots of bargain/bulk ammo, but will still fire the good stuff well!)
    4) Use - Probably 99% range time. I really enjoy time alone to just kind of relax from a tough day or week, especially since I have been sick with a chronic, lifelong illness for the past few months and would love to be able to have a new hobby to spend my time on.

I'm looking at the MD requirements for purchasing and I'm very confused as to what order I do things in. HQL class first, then fingerprints? When do I apply? Should I go into a few stores first and choose a gun before I do anything? Help! :)

Currently, the top models I'm considering are a Ruger MKIII, Ruger 22/45, Ruger SR22, Browning Buck Mark, S&W 22A, and (to a lesser extent) Sig Sauer Mosquito. Experiences? Frustrations? Let's hear 'em!

Anyways, glad to meet y'all and hope to be chatting with you guys and gals soon!

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    Welcome. The best way to narrow down the field is to rent them and see which gun likes you best. It probably doesn't help, but I have a 64 year old Ruger Mark I with thousands of rounds through it that I still take to the range every time I go. If Ruger is true to thier reputation, the Mark III might also be a rock solid shooter.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, definitely going to head to a local range that allows rentals and try out a few models. However, there are only select models at each location I find.

Have heard really good things about Rugers, especially as a training gun like this would be for me. Apparently pretty accepting of lots of different ammo, too.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Hey all, thought I would stop by this section and introduce myself.

I'm a 24 year old guy living in Silver Spring, MD. I work part time as a marketing professional, and attend graduate school part time. I have absolutely no experience with firearms aside from the occasional rifle class at summer camp.

Well, I'm here and I'm looking to find the right gun for me. I've done a fair amount of research, and while I don't know most things, I think I have the generals of what I'm looking for figured out. But, I need help on both the process to get it and what it is I should be getting! That's where you guys are absolutely invited to weigh in and give me your thoughts.

1) .22 LR handgun - pistol or revolver is OK

2) Price range - $150-$400 (firearm only; application/fingerprint fees not included)
    3) Accepting of a fair amount of types of ammo (something that can accept lots of bargain/bulk ammo, but will still fire the good stuff well!)
    4) Use - Probably 99% range time. I really enjoy time alone to just kind of relax from a tough day or week, especially since I have been sick with a chronic, lifelong illness for the past few months and would love to be able to have a new hobby to spend my time on.

I'm looking at the MD requirements for purchasing and I'm very confused as to what order I do things in. HQL class first, then fingerprints? When do I apply? Should I go into a few stores first and choose a gun before I do anything? Help! :)

Currently, the top models I'm considering are a Ruger MKIII, Ruger 22/45, Ruger SR22, Browning Buck Mark, S&W 22A, and (to a lesser extent) Sig Sauer Mosquito. Experiences? Frustrations? Let's hear 'em!

Anyways, glad to meet y'all and hope to be chatting with you guys and gals soon!

Take the HQL class, get fingerprinted, submit your HQL application.

As for Pistols, the ones in your price range that I would consider (in no particular order) are the Smith and Wesson M&P 22, Browning Buckmark (stainless camper is a good choice) and the Walther PPQ 22.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Welcome aboard!!!!

If I had more experience with .22lr handguns, I'd make a suggestion.

However, if you have someone with more firearms experience you can go to the range with, I'd highly suggest doing that. If not, there's plenty of classes one can take. Many ranges offer their own classes and some also host NRA safety and marksmanship classes. You'll need to get your HQL first though and that requires training, finger prints, and a $50 fee to the State.

You can find a list of MDShooters Industry Partners, made up of dealers, training, clubs and more here: http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hot damn, look at all the replies! Hey fellas. Thanks for your tips - signed up for an HQL training course on Wed, 1/22 at 6 pm at Maryland Small Arms Range for $20 - also includes live practice!

Then it's fingerprints, apply, and wait (I hear, from most of you, it takes either no time at all or half your adult life :/). Then go choose and pick out my baby!

Don't like having to jump through all these hoops. To be honest, was raised in a Democratic household and never gave gun control much of a thought. But now, as a first time buyer, I'm starting to really see where you all are coming from. This is absolutely crazy how many hoops I've got to jump through just for the STATE to tell me that I'm allowed to buy a gun. Nuts.

Well, I've got the process started!

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Shoot me a PM. I do not have any 22lr handguns, but would be happy to let you shoot a few different 9mm semiautos and 38spl revolvers if you would like.

ETA: I am a 25 year old attorney and enjoy shooting with new people in the area in my age group.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hot damn, look at all the replies! Hey fellas. Thanks for your tips - signed up for an HQL training course on Wed, 1/22 at 6 pm at Maryland Small Arms Range for $20 - also includes live practice!

Then it's fingerprints, apply, and wait (I hear, from most of you, it takes either no time at all or half your adult life :/). Then go choose and pick out my baby!

Don't like having to jump through all these hoops. To be honest, was raised in a Democratic household and never gave gun control much of a thought. But now, as a first time buyer, I'm starting to really see where you all are coming from. This is absolutely crazy how many hoops I've got to jump through just for the STATE to tell me that I'm allowed to buy a gun. Nuts.

Well, I've got the process started!
    Come to the light. haha

Things could have been much harder had thousands of Marylanders done nothing to change the Firearm Safety Act of 2013. The State spurred me to go from one broken .22lr rifle to owning a bunch of things I had planned to get over 5 years -- not 10 months... It also opened my eyes to how our Government functions and how much the average citizen's voice can affect State policy.

There's other members here that will give you the obligatory introductions to joining Maryland Shall Issue, so I won't steal all of it, but you should at least check them out.

http://marylandshallissue.com/

Jan 13, 2014
    Silver Spring, MD
    Come to the light.
    I'll be sure to check out MSI!

So it's going to be $20 for the HQL class, $50 for the application, and how much for fingerprints? (I live in Silver Spring if that helps - I assume that only makes it tougher!). I've heard anywhere from $18-$70, but I think I might feel a bit odd walking into a police station to do it (not that I have a record or anything, just.... ya know.... weird for me)

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Ruger MKIII Target. Difficult to field strip at first but a great shooter.

:thumbsup:

I love mine, watch the video on Ruger's web site before and during cleaning the first couple times.
    It shoots anything I feed it.

I also have an M&P 22, fun to shoot, a little picky about ammo, does't like Remington Thunderbolts or Federal white box, and Winchester bulk hollowpoints.

My brother has a Heritage 22 revolver his whole family loves.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    Ruger MKIII Target. Difficult to field strip at first but a great shooter.

What he said. Once you take it apart maybe half a dozen times, it's not bad at all. Might I also suggest the Sig Mosquito. It's a great little pistol. It's a scaled-down version of a Sig P226, and is a great shooter as well. Just about a tossup for me, as to which one I would buy first, but I would definitely plan on eventually having both.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 446

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    :wave: Greetings!
    I have a Ruger 22/45 Target. Absolutely love it and have no trouble with any LR ammo I've fed it so far. As somebody mentioned, watch the Ruger video MANY times for take down and follow the instructions exactly. I have several thousand rounds through mine and have only taken it down twice. Wipe out, swab out, dry and oil.
    Good luck and enjoy your new, VERY expensive, hobby.
    Bet you can't buy just one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom