• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tylerdurdan

May 3, 2014
    Hi,

Just recently tried to purchase a hand gun and was denied due to an assault that happened over 11 years ago when I was still a juvenile. I had no idea that this was still on my record and thought that this was sealed after I turned 21. I'm now a 26 year old Veteran with 6 years Active Duty and an Honorable Discharge. During my time in the Army I've never had this issue come up.

When I spoke with MSP about this issue they told me that Maryland holds juvenile offenses against you until your 30 if they are classified as a disqualifying crime (in my case assault). Do I even have any options at this point? Will this follow me even if I move to another state? I'm planning on enrolling in a university in VA and I'll be living down there this coming fall. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

[/FONT]

tylerdurdan

May 3, 2014
    I forgot to mention that during my conversation with MSP they said that nothing came back from the NICS background check but when they ran a state background on me my Juvenile record came up.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Get a lawyer!

Also, it sounds like a good news story. You get into a fight when you're 15. Go off to war for 6 years (you served, didn't you?), you are honorably discharged, and now you are denied purchasing a handgun to use for sport shooting.

Where's the "Thank you for service to your country" in that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Yes there are some things you can try, but they are time consuming (ie expensive) and success is not guaranteed.
    This is a Maryland requirement so if you were a resident of another state you could buy whatever you wanted their as long as you were in line with their laws.

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'am also a victim of Maryland's judicial system. As a Iraq war veteran myself, I had the privliage of the MSP showing up at my place of residencey at the time, to confiscate my firearms, for a misdimenor of aggrivated menacing, that I was charged with at 14 years old in another state (Delaware). My only reason for compliance was due to the fact that the home I was living in, wasn't that of my own and I didn't want the home owner to have to contend with a midnight tactical raid of probably no less then 25 over zeaouls and heavily armed police officers, storming a space no bigger then 1300 square feet, only to gun me down as I stumble out of bed, with a pistol drawn in anticaption of an inturder. So, I opted to just comply....for now. My guns are safe and in close proximity, should I ever need them. However, This has been happening to quite a few of us and I'm sure we aren't the end of the cycle.

A lawyer may be able to help you, But it will not be cheap and can take some time, years even.

At this point you really have two choice's. You can stay in Maryland, wait until you turn 30 while helping us rally, protest and fight back this corrupt and evil mafia style, political regime, by voting and encuraging others who love thier freedom and liberties, to vote.

Or, you can pack your things and move back to America (I.E Pennsylvania, Virginia, W. Virginia) and resume your status as a law abiding gun owner, while taking your tax money with you. Many others before you have chosen this option it seems.

This next election will seal Marylands fate with me.

USMC 0311

Military Veteran
    May 1, 2014
    Clarksburg, MD
    Q - Can a juvenile record affect obtaining a firearm I.D. card or a firearm license?

A - Yes, a juvenile may not possess a regulated firearm if the person is under the age of thirty years old at the time of possession, has been adjudicated delinquent by a juvenile court for an act that would be a disqualifying crime if committed by an adult.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-133&ext=html&session=2013RS&tab=subject5

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Your still young enough " Get Out Of MD. While You Still Can" . Good luck and Thank You for your service.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Make the move to Va not just for better guns laws or slightly lower taxes but move to Va so you can qualify for In-State tuition at UVA. I think you need 2 years unless they qualify you on HD if it was recent.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Make the move to Va not just for better guns laws or slightly lower taxes but move to Va so you can qualify for In-State tuition at UVA. I think you need 2 years unless they qualify you on HD if it was recent.
    :thumbsup: My daughter will be going off to college next year and that was a motivating factor, in addition to the lower taxes, and much more respectful gun laws. I now CCW every day and can buy a handgun like I would a shotgun. F Maryland!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom