• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe you should withhold judgement until all of his appointments are confirmed and sine die has been called? Until those happen, he's not going to do anything drastic because the legislature can still ruin his day.
    The current legislature can always ruin his day - they just might have to wait a bit longer to do so if he acts as you posit. But, sure, we'll see what happens after April 13.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    If the status quo remains on the 2A front, I'll stay until it is time to retire. I will not be happy, but I will stay for the sake of my parents and my kids. Once I retire, then I am leaving. Problem is, I really do not see myself retiring. Slowing down the work pace, maybe. Retiring, probably not. Not because we will need the money, because our goal is to have the ability to retire at 62, but because I like what I do and I have no idea what the heck I would do all day long without doing some sort of work.

Now, if I have to register any more firearms or turn in any firearms, then we will be moving immediately. We have already discussed this. Heck, I had so much anxiety over FSA2013 when it was SB281, that we were looking at homes in Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Texas and even talked about taking a drive down to Richmond to look at an awesome house on 20 acres and flying out to visit my cousins in Dallas. Then, SB281 got watered down, I breathed deeply, and said screw it, I'm going to fight this.

We all have our tipping point and you defined yours above. That's great, for you. For others of us, maybe our tipping point is different; maybe we want some small show of support, some indication that our efforts to restore a protected right are being noticed and considered. I think everyone here recognizes that SB281 is not going away and we are no longer asking for that. What we are asking for is a hand of friendship to be extended and for someone in the administration to indicate to us that we matter...for more than a vote.

And, I am not making excuses for Hogan just yet. However, the man has not been in office long enough to be able to twist arms and get into the flow of back room dealing quite yet. If, after 4 years G&S is where it is today, then I will be disappointed. Have to wonder if the requirement of immediate results for G&S is coming from the younger generation that is used to immediate gratification.

I guess that depends on your definition of young. I'm over 50 and I not only want results, but I expect them. Immediate, no, but PDQ.

Personally, I'm still pissed that he dodged the CCW question in the radio interview. Be a man, tell the truth, no matter what your position is. He answered the question and related it to ownership, not the ability to get a permit. If he did not want to tip his hand, at the very least he could have said that the issue is being studied but that no immediate changes were anticipated. THAT would have indicated that he's on the same sheet of music and we probably could have taken that as a "hint" to remain patient. Complete deflection to the ownership issue is a cop out and sends the message that he does not give a rats ass.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Hogan will, IMO, be a one-term Governor no matter what he does. Play nice, play dirty, be a Michael Busch/Mike Miller corn eater, it doesn't matter

It's killing the Dems that there is an 'R' Governor and they'll do whatever it takes next election to ensure Hogan is out.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    This is such a strawman argument. Yes, we understand (or should understand) he has no ability to just rewrite the law at his whim. But there are two or three very annoying interpretation issues for us that he could fix by simply ordering the MSP to play nicer. No one's asking for a press release or a big speech - just a quiet change to G&S and applying the copycat criteria to NFA weapons.

It absolutely calls his commitment to us and the 2A in question when he is apparently scared of moving on tiny minor issues for fear of some imagined political reprisal. "Just wait" has gotten us boiled alive in the pot in this state. I'm done waiting, and want to see some action.

Well said.

Attachments

• slow-clap.gif
      slow-clap.gif
      195.6 KB · Views: 329

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Hogan will, IMO, be a one-term Governor no matter what he does. Play nice, play dirty, be a Michael Busch/Mike Miller corn eater, it doesn't matter

It's killing the Dems that there is an 'R' Governor and they'll do whatever it takes next election to ensure Hogan is out.

First people predicted he would not win at all. Now people are predicting he wont be reelected. And, he has not even confirmed his cabinet or signed legislation yet. :sad20:

In the mid Atlantic and New England, it is actually a normal state of affairs to have balance between the Executive and Legislature (e.g. GOP gov & Dem legislature). Maryland has been the abberation.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    First people predicted he would not win at all. Now people are predicting he wont be reelected. And, he has not even confirmed his cabinet or signed legislation yet. :sad20:

In the mid Atlantic and New England, it is actually a normal state of affairs to have balance between the Executive and Legislature (e.g. GOP gov & Dem legislature). Maryland has been the abberation.
    I voted for him and got quite a few of my neighbors to vote for him, convincing them there WAS a fair chance Hogan could win.

Of course he was running against a very poor candidate and, like with Ehrlich, the time was ripe for a change.

I'd LOVE to be wrong in four years, but I've seen this movie time and again, and I doubt Hogan will have a second term.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009

It is an easy prediction to make. Folks on both sides of the fence voted for him because they recognize Marylander's are taxed way too much and the state government spends far too much.....unfortunately without a friendly general assembly there is no way he can make the sort of cuts needed and still have a balanced budget as required by law.....the reality of the situation is that Hogan is in he same boat as Ehrlich....the unions and the low life's in the general assembly are never going to standby and Hogan do what needs to be done.....

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    the only way hogan gets a second term is to make as many of the people of md happy as possible to gather votes. he needs the 2a community and EVERYONE else also. of coarse the GA is gonna try and screw him at every turn. his only chance is to do right by the people and make sure they know it. f the dems in the GA. if Hogan was shitting gold bricks and paying down the debt with them the dems in the GA would still bitch.

just my 2 cents

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Personally, I'm still pissed that he dodged the CCW question in the radio interview. Be a man, tell the truth, no matter what your position is. He answered the question and related it to ownership, not the ability to get a permit. If he did not want to tip his hand, at the very least he could have said that the issue is being studied but that no immediate changes were anticipated. THAT would have indicated that he's on the same sheet of music and we probably could have taken that as a "hint" to remain patient. Complete deflection to the ownership issue is a cop out and sends the message that he does not give a rats ass.

I agree with this

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    While it would be nice if he said he wanted a ccl in every wallet and a FA in every closet, but come on people be realistic. Saying stuff like that in this state is political suicide. The GA is doing their part so far by introducing a lot of good 2a bills and no bad ones (that I've seen). If any of them pass he is going to sign them. If he trys to go around the GA now, none of the bills will have a chance. If nothing passes, at least give him till the end of summer to shake up what he can. If the GA tanks all the bills, I think there is a good chance he will at least define G&S and switch us over to NICS. Give the people a chance to do their jobs.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Its already been said in this thread that MD gov. has a lot of power, especially the budget. If he wants, he can cut to the bone and the GA can't increase anything.

We should remind the liberals in the GA that its THEIR "fault" Hogan was elected. Had they been more fiscally responsible under O'Malhead, they wouldn't be in this position to start.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Its already been said in this thread that MD gov. has a lot of power, especially the budget. If he wants, he can cut to the bone and the GA can't increase anything.

We should remind the liberals in the GA that its THEIR "fault" Hogan was elected. Had they been more fiscally responsible under O'Malhead, they wouldn't be in this position to start.

The GA can't increase it but they still need to approve it......unfortunately Hogan didn't cut it to the bone....I wish he had.......

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    the only way hogan gets a second term is to make as many of the people of md happy as possible to gather votes. he needs the 2a community and EVERYONE else also. of coarse the GA is gonna try and screw him at every turn. his only chance is to do right by the people and make sure they know it. f the dems in the GA. if Hogan was shitting gold bricks and paying down the debt with them the dems in the GA would still bitch.

just my 2 cents

He has the bully pulpit and may have to go directly to the people...you know the dems favorite tactic - the fireside chat.

Give the man some time. The new super hasn't even been confirmed yet.

The licensing division needs to be restructured and streamlined. With the current onerous policies, it would probably take 10 years to process all of the applications they will receive if self defense is accepted for g&s

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I wrote Mikulski a note regarding an IRS question. Nada. If not getting an answer will make her a one termed, I'm going to write another. :innocent0

She (or her computer/automatic replying machine) usually takes from six weeks to fourmonths to spew pablum back to you. I got "WTF is this about" replies from her more than once.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD

Isn't this the same thing that the Republican Congress did to Obama?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom