• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Are you in need of some stainless pins for your brass? I need about 1-2 lbs but would like to take advantage of better pricing for larger quantities. We can get a 5lb. bag for $35.65 including shipping and they offer discounts for multiple bags.
    http://www.bullseye-reloading.com/Pellet-Pins-Tumbling-Media.html

This will probably work best if you can meet me to collect your material but I travel most all of central MD, SOMD and some of the Eastern Shore regularly. If you are on the fringes of that, send me a PM and I will let you know, or I can ship it to you at the actual cost. I am not trying to make money on this, just help everyone out.

Right now, I have buyers for 4 lbs. When I get some idea of the total, I will contact the seller and see what kind of discount we can get.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but why SS pin for media? How dirty is the spent cartridges? Secondly, do you find this type of media is hard on the brass?

Thanks for the schooling.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but why SS pin for media? How dirty is the spent cartridges? Secondly, do you find this type of media is hard on the brass?

I wish I could answer from the perspective of someone experienced with it. Alas, I cannot. I have seen the brass first hand at Traveler's house, and it looked amazing. Everything I have read is that is not hard on the brass at all. I have an ultrasonic now that does a good job. I just want to be able to tumble as well.

Santa picked up a "rock tumbler" for my daughter for Xmas and it would be a shame letting it sit without being used half the time. :innocent0 He was so thoughtful. It has two tubs so that one can run rocks and the other can run brass at the same time.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

1. The media never wears out.

2. The brass ends up very clean, including the primer pockets if you deprime first.

3. There is no dust, it all gets washed down the drain.

4. With a decent rotary tumbler, you can clean a massive batch of brass all at once.

5. There is NO work hardening of the brass. (I was able to clean up nasty caked brass that was sitting outside for few years. Hey, it was free brass.)

One downside, it is best to use a media tumbler to get all the pins out. You do need to let it dry overnight, or put it in a 200 degree oven on a cookie sheet if you are in a hurry. I just roll the brass around in a towel and ignore it overnight.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Great, so we are up to 8 lbs. I am not in a hurry, but I don't know how the rest of you feel. I say we give it until 7/17 and I will order it. We need at least 10 lbs, but more would be great.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I come on here to ask where people get their CCI military primers or small rifle primers locally, and now I am looking at buying a freaking tumbler, figuring out what the heck LemonShine (sp.) is, wondering if Joy will work instead of Dawn, and debating whether 5 pounds or 10 pounds of pellet pins will be enough.

This site is so helpful, and so freaking expensive. Then again, I guess it does save me some money, but it fosters ideas on spending in so many more areas.

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    Anyone planning on building their own tumbling containers? I have most of an 8' or 10' length of 6" PVC pipe sitting in my shed. I had to have Home Depot special order it since I couldn't find it in stock anywhere locally. I am PCS'ing this summer and am clearing stuff out of the shed since we are selling our house.

In case you are wondering what 6" PVC pipe has to do with SS media, I attached a picture. The second picture is one load that tumbled just over an hour I think. Everything comes out very clean and shiny. Looks almost new.

Anyway, if anyone here is interested in the 6" pipe, let me know, it is free to a good home. I live in Abingdon, near Bel Air (Harford County). It only takes a foot or so to make a tumbling vessel depending on the length your tumbler can handle.

Attachments

• DSCN0561-1.JPG
      DSCN0561-1.JPG
      63.8 KB · Views: 224
    • DSCN0578-1.JPG
      DSCN0578-1.JPG
      110.9 KB · Views: 227

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member