• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mindbender

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm going camping with some buddies and decided to research what guns I can bring from Ohio. Now I'm confused.

My understanding is:
    1. You still have an AWB. Which means no ARs for me essentially or mags with more than 10 rounds.
    2. My 10/22 with 10 round mag is ok
    3. Bolt action 22 is ok.
    4. Shotguns of all kinds are ok. Including my fn-slp that holds 9 rounds.
    5. 22 Ar is not ok since all my mags hold more than 10.
    6. Suppressors are ok.:party29:

Is that right?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Generally speaking, "Possession or use of weapons is prohibited in State Forests outside of regular open hunting seasons." see here: http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/public-hunting-lands/

I am not sure if this applies to the campground (I think it does). I would call them and ask about the weapons and alcohol policy (I think state parks are dry now too see here http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/alcoholfaq.aspx).

I'm not sure if the range is open and what accommodations they make for campers from out of state that want to bring weapons and shoot at the range.

Also, I would venture: No handguns either.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm going camping with some buddies and decided to research what guns I can bring from Ohio. Now I'm confused.

From "useless nut" to another, see answers below.

My understanding is:
    1. You still have an AWB. Which means no ARs for me essentially or mags with more than 10 rounds.

Bring your AR and your standard capacity magazines, they are fine.

2. My 10/22 with 10 round mag is ok

Bring your 25 round magazines as well.

3. Bolt action 22 is ok.

Absolutely

4. Shotguns of all kinds are ok. Including my fn-slp that holds 9 rounds.

Yep.

5. 22 Ar is not ok since all my mags hold more than 10.

Yep.

6. Suppressors are ok.:party29:

Yep

Is that right?

You got it mostly right, not bad for a Buckeye.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that when you're at the campsite your firearms have to be cased and in a vehicle. One night while camping there I had two rangers come into my site at 10 pm and they snooped around a bit so just be mindful of the rules.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    I disagree with the bring your ARs. If they are HBARS bring them if not. I would leave them at home.

What's that based on? I camp up there a lot with the fellas, some of whom are from other states, and we've always taken our non-hbar AR's along with various handguns and rifles.

Never had a problem at the range but they do require all firearms to be unloaded and cased in the campsites.

We've also had a few ranger squads drop in on the campsite late at night. First time we had about 6 rifles in cases and several ammo cans in the bed of my truck (had been to the range and hadn't moved them to the cab yet). One eyeballed them while the other chatted with us. They asked if we were up there to hunt. We said nope, just gettin away.

"Be safe and have a good night" and off they went.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To expand on what Dblaas implied ; you MAY posses and use 10+ rd magazines, but may NOT buy, sell, give away , offer for sale etc while here.

If your r AR-15 is HBAR configuration , you are unquestionably good to go. If it is non-HBAR , and you have owned it before 10/01/13 , it is grandfathered. Use your judgement as to potentially explaining that should occasion arise.

Good question about camping with firearms for purpose of using the range in the very same State Forest. IF you are a hunter , be aware tht coyote is in season year round. The $ of a nonresident hunting lic is a bigger thing than for us residents.

Initially both State Parks and State Forests went no alcohol ( except with special permit for specific event). The next year the policy was modified to allow alcohol in State Forest campsites. But disorderly carrying on is still a no-no.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I disagree with the bring your ARs. If they are HBARS or if you have proof that you owned them prior to Oct 1st 2013, bring them if not. I would leave them at home.

(my edit in red)

That matches my understanding. The magazine ban only applies to sale transfer etc., the ban on 'assault weapons' is one on possession.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Wouldn't the burden of proof fall on the state? As in innocent until PROVEN guilty?

I agree with this. Besides, they aren't combing the mountains examining every firearm brought in. They don't care, nor do they have the staff.

In my last 10-15 visits I've seen NRP exactly twice. Both times were between 10-11pm at our campsite. I don't recall ever seeing them at the range.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Wouldn't the burden of proof fall on the state? As in innocent until PROVEN guilty?

Sure, he can come back from Ohio, go to the NRP headquarters, show them his receipts and retrieve his property. Or he can get a court order to return the guns to him. That would be a win, right ?

It's all great until some ninny at the campground gets a panic attack because she sees someone with a 'assault rifle'. Now the NRP officers are forced to 'do something'. I would take the receipt for the rifle with me if I entered marylandistan from out of state with a pre-october evil rifle.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm pretty sure that when you're at the campsite your firearms have to be cased and in a vehicle. One night while camping there I had two rangers come into my site at 10 pm and they snooped around a bit so just be mindful of the rules.

I believe someone here once got cited for having his loaded rifle leaning up against a tree? Something like that.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I believe someone here once got cited for having his loaded rifle leaning up against a tree? Something like that.

I'm not sure, but I know that NRP will bust into your camp late at night for no reason other than to find a violation. I kind of pisses me off because no one likes having strangers walk into your camp at night. Especially in remote sites like out in Greenridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom