• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    So I've been looking at the HA AR-7 as a SHTF car/bug out gun. Seems completely suited to these roles due to the light weight and takedown feature. I love how easy it is to make it inconspicuous an that it is small-form and (reasonably) water-tight. Most people also say it's pretty accurate. Seems perfect. The one fly in the ointment is the claims that there are feeding issues. Some attribute them to mag issues, others to inherent design flaws. And it doesn't help that there have been multiple manufacturers over the years. So can the MDS brain trust set me straight? Is it worth my money? Is it dumb to depend on it in crunch time? Tell me if I'm being an idiot.

Bear in mind I realize that 22LR is not the ideal mankiller/large game round. I get that. But a good hyper velocity round (think CCI Stinger) seems like a perfect pairing that would make this a rather potent defense/last-ditch hunting platform. I mean, at the end of the day, any gun is better than no gun, right?

EDIT: I searched and saw a few relevant threads but given how much the QC seems to vary over time, I thought it might be better just ask the question fresh. Apologies if I was wrong in my thinking.

Attachments

• Henry-AR7-US-Survival-Rifle.jpg
      Henry-AR7-US-Survival-Rifle.jpg
      33.2 KB · Views: 737

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Without knowing a great amount about the AR7, have you considered a takedown Ruger 10/22? Sub 300 bucks. Reliable. Inconspicuous. Takes 25rd mags.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Without knowing a great amount about the AR7, have you considered a takedown Ruger 10/22? Sub 300 bucks. Reliable. Inconspicuous. Takes 25rd mags.

Agree. :thumbsup:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...77/ruger-1022-takedown-22lr-with-blue-kryptek

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product....138-22lr-mossy-oak-camo-nib-736676111381-1047

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/10%2F22+takedown

Great after market support, lots of accessories, and lots of variety within the line too. Reliable platform with likely better accuracy than the Henry.

I personally would splurge and go for this one ...

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...3/ruger-1022-takedown-22lr-with-target-barrel

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The AR7 is such a great idea, it's just a damn shame that no one has ever been able to make it work. Run away, just run away.

Get a Ruger 10/22 Takedown or perhaps a Marlin Papoose.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I have one and I have to say I agree with what has been stated above! The sights suck and that just magnifies its poor accuracy. Kind of a neat novelty item that I'm sure might become useful if a SHTF situation but only as a last resort backup kinda thing.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Played with one decades ago. Never ran well. I'd agree the 10/22 is a better option.

Even still, I may buy another AR7 because, well, I don't have one now.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Like threeband said. Neat idea. Shit execution. I've shot several and none worked very reliably. All were ammo sensitive. That whole floating thing is horseshit. I really wanted one until I messed with them.
    Get a 10/22 takedown or Marlin papoose.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SOME can be made reliable, some can not.

10/22 takedown would be my next choice on a budget.

Nothing touches a 15/22. The halves seperate and become compact. The mags are cheap and reliable. It has backup and a rail for optics (again, they can be Q.R.). The stock is adjustable for different shooters. The barrel os floated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Marlin Papose comes closest in weight and compactness. Similar accuracy to M60, aka well within expectations for a sporter grade .22 .older ones had crap iron sights, but current is actually usable.

Claims to float when in factory padded carry case, but I never threw into the water to test.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm really surprised at this. Granted I have only shot one and it was a grand total of 100 rounds I was not only impressed with its accuracy but there wasn't a single hiccup. We shoot cans with iron sights at 50 yards. I'll also toss out that I ONLY shoot CCI mini mags ammo. That bulk federal ammo and stuff is dirty worthless crap and jams/gums things up.

I'm with you guys about loving the idea of the AR7.....to bad it's had such problems....I never knew

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The AR7 is such a great idea, it's just a damn shame that no one has ever been able to make it work. Run away, just run away.

Get a Ruger 10/22 Takedown or perhaps a Marlin Papoose.
    I have an Armalite I bought in the exchange in 67 and it works ok. Aftermarket magazines do not. I say get the ruger takedown.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You guys are making me want a takedown. I own a standard 10/22 and it just sits in the safe when I'm not introducing new shooters to guns.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Never owned or fired the AR7 rifle, but owned the pistol many years ago. Bought it as an adult because I'd wanted one as a kid. Tired of it pretty quickly.

Ruger all day long.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Inherited one of the earlier models that came in a corrugated box. I don't shoot it anymore. It was sent in twice because of FTF issues. Factory said it was fine and it is... as long as you shim out the magazine or hold it in and forward as you shoot. I would NEVER rely on this for SHTF. Maybe others work but mine is not suitable for that task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom