• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    He needs to post more things like this more often, but at the same time it's up to people like us to spread his videos to surpass what media wants us 'believe'. Words are more damaging then firearms. Yes, firearms can take a life in an instant, but where shaming of any form is done by media it takes out more in a more rapid succession. Regulate media, not our second amendment rights.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Odd headline ... but considering the source

WaPo seems to think that this has caused a 'rift' ...

The NRA’s internal split over Philando Castile

This time, however, the NRA faces criticism from its members who argue that the group did not do enough to defend gun owners’ rights by speaking out on behalf of Castile.

And they came to that conclusion based on comments on NRA's Facebook page ... Last time I checked, you didn't need to be an NRA member to 'Like' and 'Comment' on their Facebook page, but you could pose as one to make erroneous ones.

I'm sticking with Colion Noir's statement and the NRA's position until the facts are known.

As the nation’s largest and oldest civil rights organization, the NRA proudly supports the right of law-abiding Americans to carry firearms for defense of themselves and others regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.

The reports from Minnesota are troubling and must be thoroughly investigated. In the meantime, it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing.

Rest assured, the NRA will have more to say once all the facts are known.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    It's too bad we have so many knuckleheads in power that can't handle the truth. We need to continue getting the truth out to our families, friends, co-workers, etc. Over the weekend, I educated 2 women who were new to shooting about the assault weapon lie. I should've taken a picture of when the light came on in their eyes upon realizing how misinformed they'd been.

Seeing videos like this one should remind us to keep up the good fight.

GAL700

Jun 8, 2016
    AA County
    I think this deserves a current events bump. He dropped the hammer with his initial response. My personal feeling is that this was a bad shooting, unfortunately they do happen. What strikes me is the non reaction of his partner while Castile was supposed to be reaching. Officer still had at least one hand up on the collar of his vest up until at least 4-5 shots are heard. What are your thoughts ?

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/...oting-philando-castile-should-be-alive-today/

From Noir:

Personally, I feel because Yanez pulled Philando over under the suspicion that he was a robbery suspect coupled with the presence of a gun, it put Yanez in a heightened state. I feel he lost control of his wits and overreacted. This now brings me to the question of race. Do I think Yanez felt threatened by the fact that Philando was black? It’s very possible Yanez was indifferent about Philando’s race. However, because of the negative stereotype reinforced in the media about black men and guns, it wouldn’t completely surprise me if Yanez felt more threatened by Philando because he was black. This is the same negative stereotype that I’ve been trying to combat for years now.

Legally, I’m left asking myself: Was Yanez failing to conduct a proper felony stop reckless or negligent enough to warrant a second degree manslaughter conviction? As a lawyer, I’m hard pressed to think so. But the young black male in me says hell yes. Admittedly, I don’t have all the facts the jury had; I didn’t hear the testimony the jury heard. Maybe after hearing his testimony they believe Yanez honestly felt his life was in danger and justifiably so. However, I have to be honest and say, he shouldn’t be able to just walk away freely without legal consequence I just don’t know what that consequence should be.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is def a tough one, because of one simple fact.

The fastest way to get CCW is to get minority groups on board, and the fastest way to lose it is for it to be seen as something only "white guys" can do safely.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is also a good summary of suggestions IMO:

http://www.pagunblog.com/2017/06/21/how-not-to-get-shot-in-a-traffic-stop/

The fact that the jury acquitted does not make the shooting justified. "reasonable doubt" is an extremely high hurdle. Lots of "guilty" people go free.

Have been following the case too, seems most agree the officer F-ed up by improperly conducting a felony stop, could have gotten him killed if he was actually pulling over an armed robbery suspect. In this case it contributed to getting Castile killed. Impairment from smoking pot, poor communication, poor information, and poor lighting may have played a role too. The evidence that has been released to the public so far seems to point to the fact the officer asked for ID, Castile was retriving it and mentioned he was carrying, in the dark the office mistook the ID for the firearm, and fired. Castille's pistol was still holstered in his pocket as he was loaded onto the ambulance. Seems to be a case where both screwed up, and both should have known better, but in the end it could not be proven that the officer met the charge of 2nd degree manslaughter and was aquitted.

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    I think this deserves a current events bump. He dropped the hammer with his initial response. My personal feeling is that this was a bad shooting, unfortunately they do happen. What strikes me is the non reaction of his partner while Castile was supposed to be reaching. Officer still had at least one hand up on the collar of his vest up until at least 4-5 shots are heard. What are your thoughts ?

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/...oting-philando-castile-should-be-alive-today/

From Noir:

Personally, I feel because Yanez pulled Philando over under the suspicion that he was a robbery suspect coupled with the presence of a gun, it put Yanez in a heightened state. I feel he lost control of his wits and overreacted. This now brings me to the question of race. Do I think Yanez felt threatened by the fact that Philando was black? It’s very possible Yanez was indifferent about Philando’s race. However, because of the negative stereotype reinforced in the media about black men and guns, it wouldn’t completely surprise me if Yanez felt more threatened by Philando because he was black. This is the same negative stereotype that I’ve been trying to combat for years now.

Legally, I’m left asking myself: Was Yanez failing to conduct a proper felony stop reckless or negligent enough to warrant a second degree manslaughter conviction? As a lawyer, I’m hard pressed to think so. But the young black male in me says hell yes. Admittedly, I don’t have all the facts the jury had; I didn’t hear the testimony the jury heard. Maybe after hearing his testimony they believe Yanez honestly felt his life was in danger and justifiably so. However, I have to be honest and say, he shouldn’t be able to just walk away freely without legal consequence I just don’t know what that consequence should be.

That whole thing just went from 0 to 100 way to fast. You have people on both sides saying what could have been done differently. Honestly, sure after being told not to "grab it" you should stop moving, but was he still trying to grab "whatever" or was he trying to stop. That we do not know. Sounds like he said I am not grabbing or reaching for it. Training, Training, and more Training is needed. Some type of restraint. Another few seconds. And yes that could mean life or death in another type of situation, just a fine line all around and unless you are in it, its hard to say what "you" would do.

I been in some pretty hairy situations. And I think about all the time what I "could" have done differently, but in the moment its just what it is that moment.

The more training you have I feel the less chances of overreaction occurring.

Was this about race, I do not think so other than "maybe" the stereotype of a black person having a weapon is somehow more dangerous and if Yanez even thought that or was just jumpy from the go.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Hindsight is indeed 20/20. I have seen posters on this forum with other police incident threads state they place their hands on the top of the steering wheel in a non combative manner. Now, do you have to state you are carrying a weapon if you are CCW or is that proper courtesy to the officer- in a sense showing you are not a threat? Or do you state you have your CCW and are carrying? All I saw was that as soon as the driver stated he was carrying, the office pulled is service weapon.

As a side note. It was weird how the girlfriend seemed calm like she was narrating a dance recital or something.

I do feel it was a bad shoot. I think the officer had probably never been in this type of situation before and panicked.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Someone who is going to shoot a cop is not first going to announce he has a permit and then pull the gun to shoot. To announce is not that great of an idea, to a poorly trained cop. Now every single move, as innocent as it is, will be a furtive movement for a weapon. Congrats, you've already amped up the cop(in his mind) possibly having the need to shoot you. I don't want to know on a stop if you have a gun. I'll find out soon enough when you go to pull it on me and won't stop.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    gotcha

Someone who is going to shoot a cop is not first going to announce he has a permit and then pull the gun to shoot. To announce is not that great of an idea, to a poorly trained cop. Now every single move, as innocent as it is, will be a furtive movement for a weapon. Congrats, you've already amped up the cop(in his mind) possibly having the need to shoot you. I don't want to know on a stop if you have a gun. I'll find out soon enough when you go to pull it on me and won't stop.

So less is more. Being serious. If I were carrying in my car, and then state that I was carrying, that just opens up another can of worms for the cop and more for him to think about.....Cops are already on edge more and more it seems due to bad people...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So less is more. Being serious. If I were carrying in my car, and then state that I was carrying, that just opens up another can of worms for the cop and more for him to think about.....Cops are already on edge more and more it seems due to bad people...

That's the way I preferred it anyway. I was always on the lookout for a gun.

For example. Couple weeks ago I called 911 because of a woman passed out in a vehicle. A cop was the first to arrive. So here is a guy arriving at an official call (read a "stop") that put him officially contacting me. I didn't tell him I was carrying. This is almost the same thing. No need to, he was none the wiser and left 100% alive and undistracted attending to the business at hand.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My favorite comment to this video:

"I am a middle aged lesbian & it's funny because my partner & I can go to a gun show, the NRA convention or just a simple local gun shop & nobody hassles us. We share a hobby & a sport with the people there & that's what they care about. No doubt, some religious people don't like us but they don't hassle us either. Now, when liberals find out we believe in gun rights & are generally conservative they turn on us. We are traitors to our own kind, we are "misguided" etc. Seems to me the love everyone liberals only love those that buy into their narrative. Funny how that works."

The fight is not against LGBT+, moms or whatever group. The fight against gun control is against those that want to control--That's all the Democrats want, is to control their voters.

Attachments

• comment-1.png
      comment-1.png
      15.9 KB · Views: 214

GAL700

Jun 8, 2016
    AA County
    Hindsight is indeed 20/20. I have seen posters on this forum with other police incident threads state they place their hands on the top of the steering wheel in a non combative manner. Now, do you have to state you are carrying a weapon if you are CCW or is that proper courtesy to the officer- in a sense showing you are not a threat? Or do you state you have your CCW and are carrying? All I saw was that as soon as the driver stated he was carrying, the office pulled is service weapon.

As a side note. It was weird how the girlfriend seemed calm like she was narrating a dance recital or something.

I do feel it was a bad shoot. I think the officer had probably never been in this type of situation before and panicked.

Officer was very calm up until Castile disclosed that he had a weapon and what appears to be movement. I wonder if things would be different if he would have presented both his DL and CCW permit. The inherent danger of so many different gun laws imposed by states make situations like this more probable. In states where CCW is more common like VA/WV/DE one would be more relaxed say MD. So many variables when put in this situation, it can turn bad real quick if there is any misunderstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom