• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJD

Sep 17, 2016
    Hello all. Does anybody know a landowner in western Maryland (Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick) who has frequent black bear activity (or even better, a nuisance bear) and who wouldn't mind a couple of friendly gents with permits to hunt on his or her property for a few days? Any suggestions or connections would be much appreciated!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hello all. Does anybody know a landowner in western Maryland (Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick) who has frequent black bear activity (or even better, a nuisance bear) and who wouldn't mind a couple of friendly gents with permits to hunt on his or her property for a few days? Any suggestions or connections would be much appreciated!

Plenty of state land in Garrett county that you should have no problem finding bears on.

AJD

Sep 17, 2016
    Thanks for the response. According to DNR, there are a bunch of State parks that we can hunt in. I'm planning on doing some hiking soon to scout around, but there's an enormous amount of territory. Being that our opportunity is extremely limited, we're trying to hedge our bets somewhat by looking for someone who knows they have a bear in their area.

Last edited:

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Thanks for the response. According to DNR, there are a bunch of State parks that we can hunt in. I'm planning on doing some hiking soon to scout around, but there's an enormous amount of territory. Being that our opportunity is extremely limited, we're trying to hedge our bets somewhat by looking for someone who knows they have a bear in their area.

I would not say there is a bunch of state parks. In fact, most parks do not allow hunting. But there is a whole lot of acreage of state forest and wildlife management areas to hunt in.

Potomac Garrett State Forest, Mt Nebo WMA, Savage River State Forest, Green Ridge State Forest, Dan's Mt WMA, Warrior Mt WMA, Billmyerer WMA....that's probably near 1/4 million acres...

AJD

Sep 17, 2016
    Thanks for the recommendations. By "parks" I meant "state/public forests and wildlife areas." Sorry for the misnomer. I have a list of public areas that permit bear hunting (including 5 that the State calls "parks" incidentally), however, you are exactly right about the 1/4 million acres, which is why we're trying to narrow that down. It's not so much that we need to hunt on private land, but rather, that we're looking for someone who knows where the bears are.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Keep a close eye on your pic a nic basket!

Attachments

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      11.4 KB · Views: 326

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Thanks for the recommendations. By "parks" I meant "state/public forests and wildlife areas." Sorry for the misnomer. I have a list of public areas that permit bear hunting (including 5 that the State calls "parks" incidentally), however, you are exactly right about the 1/4 million acres, which is why we're trying to narrow that down. It's not so much that we need to hunt on private land, but rather, that we're looking for someone who knows where the bears are.

I've seen 18 bears this year, all on public land. I believe meadow mountain has the highest bear population in the state per square mile. Atleast that was the stat a few years ago.

I'd say if I got a permit, I'd hunt Garret state forest, or Savage River if that helps any.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I live on top of Savage Mountain. Bears are pretty common. However, you are probably going to have a hard time finding a landowner willing to let you and a few others hunt his land ( for free no less). There is quite the liability issue.

We rent our cabin occasionally to hunters and before we did so we had to load up on the proper insurance. After our meeting with our lawyer there is no way I would EVER let someone hunt my land if I wasn't insured.

As far as actually hunting bears in Garrett County, The DNR handcuffs hunters so bad it is almost simply sheer luck to kill a bear if you do not have some private property and advance knowledge of bear activity in that specific area. You can't bait them and you cant use dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom