• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave X

Oct 14, 2016
    Southern Maryland
    Hi all, this is my first post on MD Shooters.

I'm a Maryland resident and I'm looking to buy a CMMG MK9T. It has a dedicated 9mm lower and 16" barrel, and it ships with a 32 round magazine.

It is an unregulated firearm as far as Maryland is concerned, cash and carry, except for the magazine that ships with it. Several online retailers I tried will not ship to a Maryland FFL because of the "high capacity" magazine.

My question is could I have the rifle sent to a Virginia FFL, and pick it up there? The retailers will ship it to Virginia, and I wanted to know if I would be skirting Maryland law by doing so.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Hi all, this is my first post on MD Shooters.

I'm a Maryland resident and I'm looking to buy a CMMG MK9T. It has a dedicated 9mm lower and 16" barrel, and it ships with a 32 round magazine.

It is an unregulated firearm as far as Maryland is concerned, cash and carry, except for the magazine that ships with it. Several online retailers I tried will not ship to a Maryland FFL because of the "high capacity" magazine.

My question is could I have the rifle sent to a Virginia FFL, and pick it up there? The retailers will ship it to Virginia, and I wanted to know if I would be skirting Maryland law by doing so.

Perfectly legal.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I'd advise you to call the FFL ahead of time to make sure it's alright with them. Perfectly legal for a long gun, but some don't like to deal with MD residents.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Cantact Hog Sniper he is good people.I bought a VZ2008 from him

Dealer Info - High Rock Outfitters Inc.
    Company Name: High Rock Outfitters Inc.

Storefront: No
    Address: 604 Frederick Street, STE 3, Hanover, PA 17331
    NOTE: It is a corner building and my door is on the Westminster Road side.

Phone Number: (717)-479-6494
    Email: highrockguns@gmail.com or gruby62@hotmail.com

Hours of Operation: By Appointment

Forum Username: Hog Sniper

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    You do not need to be a VA resident to buy a rifle from an FFL in VA if the gun is legal in MD.

I underlined the word "from" above. As I understand it, you are absolutely correct. However in this case, OP is not buying the rifle FROM the FFL. He is buying it FROM the internet vendor and the local FFL is only TRANSFERRING the rifle.

Is there a distinction? Does it matter?

shooter682

Jun 2, 2013
    Lexington Park MD
    shouldn't matter if the rifle is legal in MD. I would recommend Big Dogs Outfitters in King George VA give them a call to see if you could use them. If I was to buy a new FNX I would buy it there and have it shipped to my FFL without the Magazines.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is no distinction.

As far as ATF and the respective states are concerned, you are buying the ( firearm) from the FFL where you are physically standing, and physically do the paperwork.

Who pays the wholesaler ( or other source) is irrelevant.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have to second on big dogs in king George. They are great people and know md laws and welcome md customers.
    I have bought several rifles from them with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom