• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DucksRFlyin

Jul 31, 2016
    I have been researching this topic and was initially homed onto the Utah permit as the best option, but now I heard that VA does not currently honor a Utah NR permit.. So since I live near VA , should I apply to VA for a NR permit? Their list of reciprocal states honoring their NR permit looks decent - but not as good as the resident - of course. Anyone have lessons-learned on this front?
    Thanks

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have been researching this topic and was initially homed onto the Utah permit as the best option, but now I heard that VA does not currently honor a Utah NR permit.. So since I live near VA , should I apply to VA for a NR permit? Their list of reciprocal states honoring their NR permit looks decent - but not as good as the resident - of course. Anyone have lessons-learned on this front?
    Thanks
    You heard wrong. VA now honors all other states permits.

A VA permit can be helpful avoiding prosecution under the gun free school zones federal law. If that is not a concern to you, you can skip the VA permit.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    It is fairly easy to get a VA NR permit. You just have to fill out a form, get your fingerprints taken at an local LEO office, and send it in with a check. I think that they say you will get the permit back in 2 months or so, but I got it much sooner than that. Enjoy!

Cal68

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• va ccw.jpg
      va ccw.jpg
      132.4 KB · Views: 244

DucksRFlyin

Jul 31, 2016
    Oh yeah! and Florida or Utah NR is accepted in Delaware - but a VA NR is NOT accepted in DE?? Huh !?? I travel mostly in VA, DE, NC and of course Marylandstan. SC is a real turd in the punchbowl.. Too bad cause I like going there and its generally a gun-friendly state.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Oh yeah! and Florida or Utah NR is accepted in Delaware - but a VA NR is NOT accepted in DE?? Huh !?? I travel mostly in VA, DE, NC and of course Marylandstan. SC is a real turd in the punchbowl.. Too bad cause I like going there and its generally a gun-friendly state.

In SC you just leave it in the glove box, legal. If you go to PA there is one NR (New Hampshire) permit they honor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A little while back, Virginia had a Rogue Attorney General problem . Their State Legislature fixed the problem, and Va now accepts All Permits . But there are still situations where specific states retaliated against Virginia during the bad period of time .

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    I went with NH non-resident. I have VA before, but chose NH this time because it's much simpler. No fingerprint, no photo, just a check and the form. Doesn't even need to be notarized.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    A little while back, Virginia had a Rogue Attorney General problem.

OP, this is why many of us has more than one NR carry permit, just in case one particular lib AG pushes changes their reciprocity. I have FL and VA, and am planning on adding NH soon. Utah would be good to have, too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OP, this is why many of us has more than one NR carry permit, just in case one particular lib AG pushes changes their reciprocity. I have FL and VA, and am planning on adding NH soon. Utah would be good to have, too.

This ^^^^^^^

UT for the most states.
    VA for GFSZ
    NH for PA
    FL for FL

I think about adding NV to get MN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member