• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HTTR

Apr 1, 2018
    Calvert County, MD
    The Ruger 556 8511 has a cold-hammer forged barrel and is lighter at 6.7 lbs. The Stag Arms 15 M4 (Model 1) is around 7 lbs, but has a 1/7 twist, a chrome lined barrel, a removable carry handle, and is supposedly mil-spec. I have seen both going for around the same price, so that really isn't an issue. For a first-time AR owner, which would be the better buy?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    The Ruger 556 8511 has a cold-hammer forged barrel and is lighter at 6.7 lbs. The Stag Arms 15 M4 (Model 1) is around 7 lbs, but has a 1/7 twist, a chrome lined barrel, a removable carry handle, and is supposedly mil-spec. I have seen both going for around the same price, so that really isn't an issue. For a first-time AR owner, which would be the better buy?

I don't honestly believe you can go wrong with either.

The one thing you get with the Stag is a classic front sight. The Ruger sight is milled. Not really an issue, and to some degree may provide some relief from glare off the front. Also the front hand guard holder screws off on the Ruger. Still can use any furniture, just works slightly different.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I own the ruger, it seems nice, but ive only put 20 rounds through it. It is definitely not a mil spec rifle. The bolt carrier is cut differently, ill have to take some pictures with it next to a colt as the differences are subtle and I cant paint pictures well with my words. I have 0 experience with the stag.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Of the 2 I would choose Ruger. Ruger was shipping some AR's with unshrouded Carriers for a time. Not sure if they are still doing that, but if the are, I urge people to install a fully shrouded Carrier.

See lots of problems with Stags QC as of late. Headspace issues, overtorqued barrel nuts are the most common.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I don't own the M4 version by Stag. But I do own a Model 4 Stag. Which is like a full length service rifle. I have never ever had a problem with it and it is a pleasure to shoot, even with a 20" barrel. I have often asked their customer service folks question and always got a prompted answer. I believe that Stag warranties their barrels for life, I would suggest that before you buy one from them you double check to see if they still do. I never had a Ruger so I can't offer any comment.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't own the M4 version by Stag. But I do own a Model 4 Stag. Which is like a full length service rifle. I have never ever had a problem with it and it is a pleasure to shoot, even with a 20" barrel. I have often asked their customer service folks question and always got a prompted answer. I believe that Stag warranties their barrels for life, I would suggest that before you by one from them you double check to see if they still do. I never has a Ruger so I can't offer any comment.

Does Stag install aftermarket handguard as part of their warranty? I'll answer that, it's a no.

I have installed hundreds or more for me and when companies don't use Grease and add 150FT# or more torque on the barrel nut, it causes things to break (index pins )when trying to do a simple handguard swap.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Does Stag install aftermarket handguard as part of their warranty? I'll answer that, it's a no.

I have installed hundreds or more for me and when companies don't use Grease and add 150FT# or more torque on the barrel nut, it causes things to break (index pins )when trying to do a simple handguard swap.

Sorry, I was talking to the OP not to you. I never had a problem with my Model 4 Handguards. Didn't know we had to run our opinions on firearm products past you. I have never had a problem with my Model 4, or its handguards or any part on it. I bought it a couple of years ago. Maybe their QC had a bad run, maybe it's better or maybe it worse. Maybe Ruger QC is going bad a well. You really need to take a chill pill.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sorry, I was talking to the OP not to you. I never had a problem with my Model 4 Handguards. Didn't know we had to run our opinions on firearm products past you. I have never had a problem with my Model 4, or its handguards or any part on it. I bought it a couple of years ago. Maybe their QC had a bad run, maybe it's better or maybe it worse. Maybe Ruger QC is going bad a well. You really need to take a chill pill.

You made a comment about Stags and I responded with experience working on both subject guns.

If you have a problem with me commenting about AR Technical posts, then too bad.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I didn't like the Ruger because it had a few non-standard parts. Front sight base is not forged, and the delta ring was plastic. I don't have an opinion on Stag, but if Chad doesn't like it, there's a reason.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have had the Stag Model 4 (HBAR). It was a nicely built rifle and I did not have any issues with it. Having said that.... it barely had any rounds through it and I certainly wouldn’t put it on par with my Colts. Between the two I would go Ruger. Pretty much EVERYTHING they are putting out lately is great and you don’t really hear of issues.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I didn't like the Ruger because it had a few non-standard parts. Front sight base is not forged, and the delta ring was plastic. I don't have an opinion on Stag, but if Chad doesn't like it, there's a reason.

Those are important points about the Ruger. Good points.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Frankly I think Chad should be freer with his opinions. Especially now that he's super far away from me.

HTTR

Apr 1, 2018
    Calvert County, MD
    Those are important points about the Ruger. Good points.

Is there any particular reason or reasons you would choose the Ruger over the Stag, other than quality control issues? I've heard of quality control issues on the Ruger as well (gas block pins falling out while shooting, improperly staked gas keys, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom