• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TammyH

Jan 15, 2018
    Hi! I got my first AR-15 (LWRC-DI) in February and have been shooting at 25 yards then moved up to 50 yards. Yesterday I had some good grouping at 50 yards (image attached) so I’m thinking that maybe it’s time to move again to 75 yards. Eventually I would like to shoot 100 yards. When I did a trial run at 75 yards, it was a little hard for me to focus on the target.

This target is what I have been using.

I am using Vortex Spitfire 1x.

I am still learning things when it comes to shooting an AR-15: targets, optics and so on.

Is there a better target for shooting at 75-100 yards? And should I be using an optics with magnification? Thoughts & recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1532C87F-8869-4E0F-AC19-453645E3C16B.jpg
      1532C87F-8869-4E0F-AC19-453645E3C16B.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 699
    • 3AB74736-16F8-458B-8882-D16EAE2C1D19.jpg
      3AB74736-16F8-458B-8882-D16EAE2C1D19.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 702

Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    With my old man eyes , a 5 inch target , 1x optic, 50 yards would be more than max. Just my opinion.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I actually like those targets, however I personally don't like shooting bullseyes at 100+ yards with a 1x red dot.

Lately I've become a huge fan of 1-4 or 1-6 optics since you can shoot them close in or several hundred yards out. My thought would be to look for something like this, but try before you buy if you can

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Good shooting!

Depends on what you mean "better". Even with 6x magnification, at 100yds I have a hard time seeing the holes. Personally I like steel targets at 100yds. :D

Otherwise I like splatter targets. 6, 8, or 12" (whatever you feel you can shoot). I just buy whatever I find on sale cheapest.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Your eye can see red and orange better than black or blue. I'd switch to a red crosshaired target or a high contast red/orange on black.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hi! I got my first AR-15 (LWRC-DI) in February and have been shooting at 25 yards then moved up to 50 yards. Yesterday I had some good grouping at 50 yards (image attached) so I’m thinking that maybe it’s time to move again to 75 yards. Eventually I would like to shoot 100 yards. When I did a trial run at 75 yards, it was a little hard for me to focus on the target.

This target is what I have been using.

I am using Vortex Spitfire 1x.

I am still learning things when it comes to shooting an AR-15: targets, optics and so on.

Is there a better target for shooting at 75-100 yards? And should I be using an optics with magnification? Thoughts & recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

If your red dot is covering the 'bullseye' at a particular range, try putting the bullseye just above your red dot(@100yds) or just under it. The object is to get tiny groups more than shoot bullseyes.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I agree with using higher contrast colors too. My 50+ eyes can’t see black that well on open sights but orange is much better wit or without optics at 100+ yards.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Take a look at the offerings from National Target in Frederick MD:
    http://www.nationaltarget.com/our_products.php

I just bought a bunch of targets from them. If you live in the area, email them and tell them them you are going to pick them up. They will charge your card over the phone and get the order ready for pick up at the warehouse. They are nice people. They are more of a distributor than a store.

Beach Runner

Mar 20, 2018
    Take a look at the offerings from National Target in Frederick MD:
    http://www.nationaltarget.com/our_products.php

I just bought a bunch of targets from them. If you live in the area, email them and tell them them you are going to pick them up. They will charge your card over the phone and get the order ready for pick up at the warehouse. They are nice people. They are more of a distributor than a store.

This company is interesting. I had no idea we had anything like this in the Frederick area. It appears from pilot25's comment is that they do not print at that location but does anyone know any more about them?

Do you know if they offer any discounts as I see they offer free shipping over $50?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Excellent Target Source. Thank you!!
    I was having trouble finding the targets I needed for Boy Scout Merit Badge qualification. Found them on a Google search, one phone call, and by the time I drove to Frederick from Severn, they were waiting for me in the office. Excellent service.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I make my own splatter targets. Take a large sheet of florescent orange poster board and cut it to the size of the target you want. Cover with clear packing tape. Spray paint with flat black paint and place some sticky dots on the finished target as aiming points. A bullet will pop off some paint from the tape revealing the Orange behind the black paint and making the bullet hole easier to see.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I make my own splatter targets. Take a large sheet of florescent orange poster board and cut it to the size of the target you want. Cover with clear packing tape. Spray paint with flat black paint and place some sticky dots on the finished target as aiming points. A bullet will pop off some paint from the tape revealing the Orange behind the black paint and making the bullet hole easier to see.

I have done this too. It works well.:thumbsup:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I should have mentioned, If you want something a little more fun, say with the kids or family, I suggest Baker Targets as well.

https://bakertargets.com/All-Shooting-Targets_c10.htm

Zombie Dog, Martian Militia, Creepy Clown, and the pink Breast Cancer Fight target are highly popular around here. These are full size 18x24 or 23x35 targets and range $0.75 -1.25 per, plus shipping. Slightly more than what you might pay at an indoor range, but loads of fun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At longer distances you run into the phenomenon of a red dot of typical size being too large to be a precision aiming point . Not saying thats good or bad for your needs , just the laws of physics .

To tweek additional precision out of your set up , you need to use somthing smaller than the whole dot to aim with. So try a method used by shooters of iron sights.

Use a round target of such size and color that you can see clearly @ 100 yds , at least the size of the displacement of your Dot . Have your sight picture be the round bullseye sitting on top of your Dot , such that it looks like a Figure 8 . This will give the maximum * precision* in aiming .

At that point you may decide where you wish your POI to be in relation. Personally I would be inclined to have the impact at the top edge of the Dot, as that would fit together with my techniques with Revolvers . But if you are inclined to have POI in the center of your dot, you can do that easily also.

For example , if your Dot is 6moa , adjust you groups to center 3 inches below the junction point of the Figure 8 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom