• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG365

Jul 22, 2018
    I am trying to find out if I a legally permitted to set up a pistol target range on my 3.5ac in eldersburg. Everyone seems to have a different answer on what the laws are for this. I ran across this article that states I only need to be 30yards away from the closest dwelling when target shooting. Also looking at Carroll county sound ordinance, target shooting is exempt from the regulations. I can't figure out any reason I would not be permitted to set this up. Just crossing my t's and dotting my i's before I spend all this money!!!

https://www-carrollcountytimes-com....-stray-bullet-westminster-20151214-story.html

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Both range limitations, 150 yards for hunting and 30 for target shooting, are superseded by local regulations in some jurisdictions: All of the eight Carroll County municipalities, with the exception of Union Bridge, ban the discharge of firearms within their limits for instance.

Seems that unless you live in Union Bridge you are banned from discharging a firearm anywhere else. Not sure how that would impact you as Eldersburg is non-incorporated.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    There are also the state regs for having a range and being inspected, etc.

I would not give a poorly researched "news" article any value in an instance like this.

Bottom line, I think it will be very tough for you to do what you have planned. I'm on twice as much land and wouldn't even consider it in md unless you are sticking to air guns and even then, one annoyed/scared neighbor and you have issues.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The sheriffs department told my neighbor that the distance required is 150 yds from any occupied dwelling or structure, unless you have permission from the occupant of said dwelling or structure to be closer and you must have a safe backstop. He has had a range behind his house for as long as I can remember and never had an issue. That is until one of the neighbors went away and a relative from out of state who was staying there called about him shooting. Fortunately, he had enough room to move his range a couple of feet. He talked to the neighbor about it when they returned and the neighbor was pissed that the relative had called about it. He assured him that it wouldn't happen again and he could shoot as much as he wants. Several of my neighbors have their own range. Eldersburg comes under the jurisdiction of the sheriffs dept. so, I would recommend that you contact them for a definitive answer.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I am also on three acres in eldersburg. The way I see it is it only takes one neighbor to raise a fuss. If everyone in your area is also three-ish acres that is a lot of people. A few years ago I was shooting with my family on a large property near eldersburg. Then suddenly people starting walking right into the line of fire. Some recent columbia transplants decided it was a good idea to walk/trespass towards gun fire to see what was happening, WITH THEIR KIDS! Never underestimate the columbia transplants, which you are bound to have a few of within earshot.

All that being said, if you have a semi private area, you can get your fix in with a 22lr suppressor and subsonics without anyone knowing.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    People from outside the area need to be educated. Back before they developed Water's Edge, I used to hunt there and shoot an occasional groundhog from the picnic table with my .22 rifle. The neighbor had recently sold his house and not giving it a thought, one morning, I shot a groundhog out in the field. Suddenly, I heard a woman's voice, " Quick kids, get in the house! Someone's shooting at us!"! Stunned, I went over and introduced myself and explained that no one was shooting at them. This is Carroll County and it is normal for farmers to shoot varmints. If a horse were to step in that hole and break it's leg, the horse would most likely have to be destroyed. I invited them over to shoot. Never heard a single complaint after that. I could only imagine if Mr. Flohr had been there as he would have been using his trusty old pre '64 model 70 in .30-06!
    When I bought this place, one of the reasons was that the neighbors like to shoot and several have range setups on their property. The old guy at the end of our private lane was always shooting something, that is how we could tell he was OK. If we didn't hear him shooting in the evening, or on weekends, we would go check on him.

Mule789

Dec 23, 2016
    Contact your local police barracks and ask them prior to setting anything up.

We have 40 acres in Woodstock and after a serious run in with a lovely irrational MD neighbor we called up the Woodlawn police barracks and explained the situation. They reiterated the 150 yard distance requirement. They also confirmed that your own dwelling can be within 150 yards of shooting. Never said anything about 30 yard requirement though.

They mentioned they get a ton of calls about gunshots where we live, depending on the time of day and the number of shots they will come out and investigate, but for the most part there is nothing that they can do as long as you are being responsible and have an appropriate backstop.

Every Sunday afternoon, it’s like music to our ears hearing everyone around us pop off!

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    Both range limitations, 150 yards for hunting and 30 for target shooting, are superseded by local regulations in some jurisdictions: All of the eight Carroll County municipalities, with the exception of Union Bridge, ban the discharge of firearms within their limits for instance.

Seems that unless you live in Union Bridge you are banned from discharging a firearm anywhere else. Not sure how that would impact you as Eldersburg is non-incorporated.

I am asking about the law governing target shooting with a pellet rifle in my backyard. Is that treated differently than a firearm in Carroll Co?
    All pellets would be contained on my property as i use a pellet trap

Can anyone link to the actual regulation that states the 30 yd for target shooting?.
    This site seems to say that Maryland does not have any Air Gun Laws (other that some local jurisdictions)
    https://pelletgunzone.com/air-gun-laws/
    I searched DNR, but cannot find it
    thanks
    dan

Last edited:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Westminster city bans discharge of a pellet gun within the incorporated area. Other incorporated areas may have similar restrictions. Carroll county ordinances are silent on the matter.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    I shoot .22 on my 5 acre property in Carroll County. My house sits on top of a hill and I shoot down in to a river bed at a few steel targets I have set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom