• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The possession of “high capacity” magazines became a fourth degree felony in New Jersey beginning this morning. Gov. Phil Murphy (D) signed the ban on magazines holding over 10 rounds in June, and it takes effect December 11. The ban is noteworthy in that it not only bans future sales of hi-cap magazines, but bans the sale and possession of magazines legally purchased or which came with handguns and rifles.

The ban was challenged in court, but the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit upheld the ban. Breitbart News reported that a three-judge panel from the Third Circuit voted 2-1 to uphold the ban.

Judge Stephanos Bibas, a Trump appointee, was the sole judge who opposed the ban. The ruling treats the Second Amendment as protecting second-class rights, unequal with other rights, he argued. He wrote, “The Second Amendment is an equal part of the Bill of Rights. We must treat the right to keep and bear arms like other enumerated rights, as the Supreme Court insisted in Heller [the decision which struck down D.C.'s repressive laws]. We may not water it down and balance it away based on our own sense of wise policy.”

The magazine ban, if ultimately upheld, may be a model for other repressive states to emulate. The state does not compensate citizens for magazines that violate the law. According to the law, the ban includes “a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.” Under the new law, the definition no longer includes an attached tubular device which is capable of holding only .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

If convicted, a person stands not only to lose their freedom, but their right to own or possess a firearm. We may see this come to Maryland if it's withheld, but I'm hoping it will be tossed out.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Can a person driving through or visiting NJ have a standard magazine in their possession?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This is getting insane and obviously a good time for SCTOUS to step in. You can be traveling through 5 states, hit 10 minutes of road in NJ, and be a convicted felon.

And this clearly associates the "smoking" laws to the gun laws. When there was a smoking and non smoking section no one complained. When it was smoking at the bar only it was fine. That wasn't good enough. When it was smoking outside okay that sucks but they have to stop some here right?

The same is said for firearms. They just won't stop their garbage laws that are truly meaningless. Is anyone more safe with a crazy person who had 10 10 round magazines compared to 10 13 round magazines? Insane.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Makes me want to move to New Jersey, just so I can violate that so-called "law" a thousand times over! With the stroke of a worthless politician's pen countless citizens can become a felon overnight without even doing anything. Fact is such a politician is the one who's the real felon. It's long past time to support and defend our constitution against such domestic enemies!

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Makes me want to move to New Jersey, just so I can violate that so-called "law" a thousand times over! With the stroke of a worthless politician's pen countless citizens can become a felon overnight without even doing anything. Fact is such a politician is the one who's the real felon. It's long past time to support and defend our constitution against such domestic enemies!

100% agree

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Group buy for several boxes of 20 and 30 round magazines
    sent to the governor's mansion.:lol2:

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED

Don't worry about having to move to New Jersey to test the waters because it will happen here soon enough.

bradg

May 12, 2017
    So if you're visiting a friend up in NJ and he wants to go to a range (they still have those there, yes?), DON'T take you hi cap mags with you.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Can a person driving through or visiting NJ have a standard magazine in their possession?

Driving through I imagine is okay as long as you follow the guidelines for transporting firearms through the state. Visiting though, I would not recommend it.

When I go home for Christmas this year, I will probably only bring revolvers back with me. I sold my only NJ compliant AR so I will bring ammo and use my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom