• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgatz

Sep 11, 2013
    So Santa (my wife) did a wonderful job this year and got me this:
    https://www.wolfpackarmoryusa.com/product-page/cerakoted-ar9-upper-forged-80-lower-set

So... I would like to build it into a pistol. I have built an 80% AR-15 that runs wonderfully and between my brother and I we have the tools to finish it (I hope :))
    Several things about me and then several questions.
    I live in Maryland (for now).
    I currently own multiple unregistered long guns.
    I do not own any handguns.
    I have not taken a MD "Firearms safety course" but regularly train with handguns with my brother in the free state of WV.
    I therefore do not have a MD HQL.
    I know that the MD HQL is required if "A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status."
    But I am BUILDING mine and would like to keep the "Free State" of Maryland :sarcasm: out of my personal business.
    I am a law abiding citizen with no criminal record and would like to keep it that way.
    I know MD is trying to pass some laws about "ghost guns"

So now to the questions.

EDIT - I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS 1, 2, and 4

What in the way of keeping it legal, do I HAVE to do?
    1. Am I required to take the MD handgun safety course?
    2. Do I have to apply for a HQL?
    3. I have seen some the restrictions on pistol builds (no vertical forward grip) but would like to refresh the exact restrictions.
    4. Am I required to put a SN# on it? If so, what are the requirements?
    5. Anything I'm not thinking of?

Now onto the fun part... the build.
    6. Sig brace? or no Sig brace?
    7. Barrel length? I would like to be able to use it for home protection, but have a bit more range than the Glock 19 I don't have here in MD (yet).
    8. Bolt?
    9. Buffer/tube? I remember reading that an adjustable buffer might be helpful in getting it to cycle reliably.
    10. Things I'm not thinking of?

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    I'm in the process of building a similar pistol. I am going with the SBPDW brace by SB Tactical ( https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...able-pistol-stabilizing-brace-prod104305.aspx ). I plan on running an 8" 9mm barrel. I'm curious what the more informed users on here are running for bolts. From my research, some of them can be very finicky to get running well. You're not required to put a serial number on it. I'm 99% sure you don't need to take a handgun safety course or apply for an HQL. Obviously vertical grips are a no go. Get yourself a nice angled grip or thumb stop. There are some grips that look very similar to a vertical grip but are not classified as such and thus are perfectly okay to use. I wouldn't risk it though.

Do you also have the 80% lower jig? I'm looking to borrow/rent one.

sgatz

Sep 11, 2013
    I'm in the process of building a similar pistol. I am going with the SBPDW brace by SB Tactical ( https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...able-pistol-stabilizing-brace-prod104305.aspx ). I plan on running an 8" 9mm barrel. I'm curious what the more informed users on here are running for bolts. From my research, some of them can be very finicky to get running well. You're not required to put a serial number on it. I'm 99% sure you don't need to take a handgun safety course or apply for an HQL. Obviously vertical grips are a no go. Get yourself a nice angled grip or thumb stop. There are some grips that look very similar to a vertical grip but are not classified as such and thus are perfectly okay to use. I wouldn't risk it though.

Do you also have the 80% lower jig? I'm looking to borrow/rent one.

No, I do not have a jig, but my brother will most likely do a similar build, so we will be looking also.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So Santa (my wife) did a wonderful job this year and got me this:
    https://www.wolfpackarmoryusa.com/product-page/cerakoted-ar9-upper-forged-80-lower-set

So... I would like to build it into a pistol. I have built an 80% AR-15 that runs wonderfully and between my brother and I we have the tools to finish it (I hope :))
    Several things about me and then several questions.
    I live in Maryland (for now).
    I currently own multiple unregistered long guns.
    I do not own any handguns.
    I have not taken a MD "Firearms safety course" but regularly train with handguns with my brother in the free state of WV.
    I therefore do not have a MD HQL.
    I know that the MD HQL is required if "A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status."
    But I am BUILDING mine and would like to keep the "Free State" of Maryland :sarcasm: out of my personal business.
    I am a law abiding citizen with no criminal record and would like to keep it that way.
    I know MD is trying to pass some laws about "ghost guns"

So now to the questions.

EDIT - I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS 1, 2, and 4

What in the way of keeping it legal, do I HAVE to do?
    1. Am I required to take the MD handgun safety course?No
    2. Do I have to apply for a HQL?No
    3. I have seen some the restrictions on pistol builds (no vertical forward grip) but would like to refresh the exact restrictions.Unless it will be an AOW, no VFG
    4. Am I required to put a SN# on it? If so, what are the requirements?No
    5. Anything I'm not thinking of?I don't know. what are you thinking of...?

Now onto the fun part... the build.
    6. Sig brace? or no Sig brace?Some kind of brace would be better than none
    7. Barrel length? I would like to be able to use it for home protection, but have a bit more range than the Glock 19 I don't have here in MD (yet).My 9mm shoots 10" groups at 100 yds with a 5" barrel, off hand. What more could one ask for?
    8. Bolt? Faxon
    9. Buffer/tube? I remember reading that an adjustable buffer might be helpful in getting it to cycle reliably.Buffer tube is not that important. It depends on what type brace you choose. Put a Tubb AR10 flat wire buffer spring in it along with at least a 7oz buffer.
    10. Things I'm not thinking of? I don't know what you are thinking...

Make sure your handguard does not extend beyond the muzzle. If you aren't going to suppress it, get a linear comp for it.

For these kinds of guns(personal opinion here...), I like MP5 type slings and since we're talking HD, make sure the handguard has the ability to mount a light on it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No HQL needed. Build and go. I really like my CMMG Guard bolt/barrel. Delayed blowback so much nicer to shoot. Less reciprocating mass than my Colt pattern 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom