• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matty123

Jan 21, 2020
    im looking into getting a mosin , first time buying an older rifle , anyone in here currently own or have owned one and know anything to look out for when purchasing one, hoping to get one for a good deal at this upcoming gun show (was told i could find them dirt cheap while browsing a local gunshop)

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    They were a dime a dozen back in the day. I bought two of each models in the early 2000's when I got my C&R. I was like a teenager sampling booze for the first time when buying rifles via C&R :D

Probably will let half of them go at some time. They kick like a mule but are a pleasure to operate that bolt (if you get all of the cosmoline cleaned out).

Russians have a fetish with cosmoline. They sure love that stuff..... :innocent0

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Can try 7.62x54r.net. I had 10 at one point when they were $65 a piece and that was a low number around here. Lol. I have a 44 and 2 91/30 left. They definitely aren’t dirt cheap right now though.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Look for an M44. The fireball is awesome!

Shoot... the fireball out of any Mosin is awesome. ;)

i gotta get the WW2 rifles back out on the range. It's been quite awhile.

So many AR's out there and such. You start operating the bolt on a Mosin or a K98 and it barks... people look.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    If you want something collectible, a US made New England Westinghouse are very sought after. Finnish ones are of high quality too.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    Those rifles are great. You’ll enjoy it. My 1942 91/30 can pickoff a fly’s wing @ 200 yards. Be sure to clean the barrel after each use if using the surplus can corrosive ammo. Also, be sure to check the firing pin initially for proper setting.

I bought one several years ago for $129. The place I bought it from had a couple dozen and I picked up what I thought was the best one. It certainly had the best stock and all the numbers matched but when I got it home I noticed that the extractor was broken off. Probably why the stock looks so good. I imagine it didn't function properly so they didn't use it much. Anyway I bought an extractor on eBay for $6 and put it in and now the thing works fine. Mine is a 1943 Russian

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I got an M44 for $287 a several years ago and found out I got ripped off at the time; they were more like $250. Not so much now. Nice looking rifle with a laminate stock though. I would recommend one. Caliber is on par with a 308. The accuracy is a crap shoot; but with some TLC can be corrected.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have enjoyed my sniper repro. Have made hits out to 763 yards with it. :D

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    I will be putting up a few in the Classifieds in the next week or so when I finally decide which ones to let go :( I need to thin the herd and pay down some debt

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Yup they're fun guns to collect and shoot. My PU sniper is one of my favorite rifles I own. They can still be had for good prices and are still around at gun shows

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    It was the low cost surplus ammo that got me to buy my first Mosin rifle.
    Sadly the cheap ammo prices are gone along with the cheap rifle prices. :sad20:
    Good thing I stocked up on the cheap ammo :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    $300-$350 is "about" the going price right now.
    years ago, you could order them for X price and locally they were x price + say $25-$50
    Supplies being dried up, the online places have raised the price as the incoming stock has depleted. AIMSURPLUS.com has them at $339 and $359
    Hex receiver being more expensive.

You will likely see a few at the frederick show, either at dealers or slung on somone's shoulder with a flag sticking out of muzzle and for sale sign.
    7.62x54r.net will have a table with the rarity of said years/versions.

oh yea, while we are bragging on what we paid, I got 4 at $89 on a black friday sale back in 2013 or 2014. PU Sniper for $595 back in 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom