• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Long story short I am sending my P320 back to Sig because I am unable to field strip the pistol without pulling the trigger. Somethins’ wrong.

Sig had this in the email instructions:

“Please send in your factory magazines that came with the firearm”.

Now here’s the thing, folks. I bought the mags as parts kits and assembled them in my condo in Delaware. I have only the standard 17 rd mags for this thing.

If I send the two 17rd mags that it came with, is Sig legally allowed to send them back to me, and am I legally allowed to receive them back (ie: does this constitute an unlawful transfer?).

And no I do not want to drive to and from Delaware to do this. It’s not beach weather yet.

Thanks for your help. *bangsheadagainstwall*

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    If they are parts kits then they are not "factory magazines that came with the firearm" are they?

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I assume they want the mags you have to verify that whatever your problem is isn't caused by the magazines. They wouldn't want to use their own mags because if YOUR mag was bad their mag wouldn't tell them that.

Now that shouldn't have anything to do with your issue, but I bet it's a standard request they ask of everyone.

I would agree there is a risk in letting a 17 round mag leave your possession then trying to get it back in Maryland.

Did you try calling the company? See if they really need them?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I assume they want the mags you have to verify that whatever your problem is isn't caused by the magazines. They wouldn't want to use their own mags because if YOUR mag was bad their mag wouldn't tell them that.

Now that shouldn't have anything to do with your issue, but I bet it's a standard request they ask of everyone.

I would agree there is a risk in letting a 17 round mag leave your possession then trying to get it back in Maryland.

Did you try calling the company? See if they really need them?

I’ll be calling them in the morning. I am going to decline to send in a magazine and hope they can still provide the fix. It’s on them to fix this so we’ll see what options they give me.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I'd buy two 10 round magazines and send them in with the gun. If they tell you it should have come with 17 round magazines tell them your LGS swapped them for 10 round magazines because they can't transfer 17 round magazines to Maryland residents.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I'd buy two 10 round magazines and send them in with the gun. If they tell you it should have come with 17 round magazines tell them your LGS swapped them for 10 round magazines because they can't transfer 17 round magazines to Maryland residents.

At $49.99 each, this is an option I’d rather not pursue.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Breezed thru a little quick but if I’m not misreading can’t you take them apart and send that way and have them assemble for testing and then disassemble for return to you?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Breezed thru a little quick but if I’m not misreading can’t you take them apart and send that way and have them assemble for testing and then disassemble for return to you?

That would be some pretty good customer service. I don’t think they’re up for all that.

OP, I’d just send them one 10 rd. mag. If they don’t like it, then explain your position.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Looking at it from the other side, have you ran a factory mag through it and duplicated the same malfunction?

If you don't want to drop the $50 or $32 or whatever, do you have a buddy with the same gun? Or a rental range nearby with the same model? Rent their gun and mag and that could possibly rule out your pistol and/or mags...during that test.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I would pick up 1 ten round factory mag and if the problem still occurs then as Pale Ryder already stated send the gun with the 1 ten rounder.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Long story short I am sending my P320 back to Sig because I am unable to field strip the pistol without pulling the trigger. Somethins’ wrong.

Sig had this in the email instructions:

“Please send in your factory magazines that came with the firearm”.

Now here’s the thing, folks. I bought the mags as parts kits and assembled them in my condo in Delaware. I have only the standard 17 rd mags for this thing.

If I send the two 17rd mags that it came with, is Sig legally allowed to send them back to me, and am I legally allowed to receive them back (ie: does this constitute an unlawful transfer?).

And no I do not want to drive to and from Delaware to do this. It’s not beach weather yet.

Thanks for your help. *bangsheadagainstwall*
    I don’t know about legal advice but logical advice follows.

You are having issues with a SIG firearm. You’d like SIG to diagnose and repair.

SIG needs to replicate your stated problems. Among multiple possible causes, the magazines YOU ASSEMBLED might be producing failure.

You can send them and afford SIG A CHANCE to replicate or you can not send them and deny SIG a chance to replicate.

It IS NOT SIGs problem that you live in MD.

I say send the mags in question if you want it fixed.

I say, if you don’t send the Mags in question, that you’re not being a good customer and providing them with all they might need to remedy your problem.

I concur with the suggestion above to try your personally manufactured mags in a same SIG (not yours) before doing any of this.

Good luck.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wouldn’t send them. Magazines have nothing to do with field stripping the pistol.
    I wouldn’t want to end up losing a standard capacity mag. They should be able to fix it just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The malfunction has nothing to do with the magazines. And they re assembled correctly. I have since bought factory mags out of state and use those interchangeably.

The problem is in field stripping the pistol. Magazine must be OUT during this operation. Trigger must be pulled in order to release slide. ALL other functions, including firing the weapon and locking back on an empty chamber have worked fine.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Maybe call and talk to someone in customer service and explain the issue. I'm sure the requirement for the magazine is a standard thing. Some malfunctions can be due to bad magazines so they want to see the magazine you're using.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Call them, tell them exactly what the issue you are having with the firearm is and let them know why you can’t send magazines along with it. It’s possible the email is just a generic list of what to include. Sig has good customer service, but sometimes emails aren’t 100% clear. The benefit of the phone call is you can keep clarifying until they understand.

It definitely shouldn’t require pulling the trigger to disassemble and since the magazine is not in the firearm at that time it’s not causing the issue. Is it a newer P320 or an older one? Bought new or used? Has it gone through their voluntary upgrade program?

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-voluntary-upgrade/us-consumer-p320-voluntary-upgrade-program/

The more information you can give them the less you should need to send in for them to troubleshoot.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Well that was easy.

Response on the phone "Just don't send them in then".

Got to say though, not overly impressed with the guy I spoke with. Essentially hung up after giving me that answer.

I have such a love hate relationship with Sig.

Anyway - thanks everyone for chiming in. I kind of thought this would be the result, but figured it was a worthy discussion on the "what if's" in regard trying to keep it legal in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom