• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Happy New Year folks! In the new year I am looking into getting my first long range (100 yard)/hunting rifle and would like some input on the manufacturers/models I am considering and possible optics. I have decided that I want to go 308 and am looking at 3 rifles. One is the CVA Cascade, Savage 110 Apex Hunter or Savage Axis II XP. From some of the reviews I see that the CVA rifles get really good ratings (if you can find them. lol). Since this will really be my beginning foray into this, I want to stay sub 600 for the rifle if possible. Not necessarily including the optic, BUT the Apex hunter does include the Vortex Crossfire II which seems to be a reasonable scope for 100 yards. I will most likely only ever really be doing 100 yards or less but no opposed to changing optics if the bug gets me later. The only thing i may be hunting is going to be Whitetail and MAYBE hogs at much later time. Please give me your professional opinions on my selections. Thanks in advance.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The savage 110 would be fine for your purposes, and you would not need to upgrade the scope. I've sighted and shot many deer with the same scope.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Axis has a cheap stock, might want to look at one before buying it. I think the 110 is fine; I have a Savage 10 308 in walnut (also came with a Nikon scope) that I am happy with. I think you can get a Weatherby Vanguard in that price range as well. I can also vouch for Thompson Center for having fine accuracy.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The only .308's I've owned are Rem 700 and Savage 10. Both are fine.
    For glass, I'd look at Redfield, Vortex or Nikon.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    TC compass. Mine in 308 shoots everything well, even the cheap stuff.

Buy the compass and dump the rest of your budget into optics. Check out the Vortex Viper HS line. I found a 4-6x44mm with the Vplex reticle for $299 a few weeks back on Midway. It’s a simple reticle but since you’re intentions are to shoot around 100 yards it’s wholly adequate.

And I don’t mean to be rude here at all, but 100 yards is not considered long range. But your decision for the 308 is solid.

Buy the best optics you can afford mated to a rifle that will get the job done.

For me it was the TC Compass in 308 mated to a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 mounted with Warne Maxim rings.

Standard vortex hunter rings are not strong enough for the 308. You need to make sure you get sturdy rings so the scope doesn’t walk forward under recoil.

You can’t go wrong with a Leupold though. 3-9x or 4-12x are the most common applications. For your purposes a 3-9x might be the right fit.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My son has a Savage Axis that came with a cheap scope and rings for $250 after rebate. That gun will shootout the bulls eye at 100 yards every time.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    For me personally, I usually like my factory Savage bolt guns a little bit more than my factory Ruger bolt guns - usually because of the factory trigger and bolt. But, if I were saving 10% or more to get the same job done I probably would buy the cheaper one because they are that close for me. It also depends if you know later you will upgrade.

Also, so far with my Vortex optics they have been great for the price, take a beating, and have not yet had to use warranty service, but hear its good with them.

The Savage 110 with optic seems very nice, have not shot that exact gun/optic combo, but have shot and like the 110.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am dropping deer at close to 200 yards with a 20ga slug gun.
    But my dream 100yd deer gun would be a Marlin 1895 45-70 S.S. guide gun

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Thanks for all the input. So far I am leaning towards the Savage 110. I have noticed that no one mentioned anything about the Mossberg Patriot or MVP. Those are NOT in my considerations but just curious as to opinions. I have a friend who is looking at them.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks for all the input. So far I am leaning towards the Savage 110. I have noticed that no one mentioned anything about the Mossberg Patriot or MVP. Those are NOT in my considerations but just curious as to opinions. I have a friend who is looking at them.

A friend of my son has the Mossberg in 458 Bushmaster and he likes his. Hasn't had it for very long, says it's pretty handy in the thick stuff

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Do you plan to hunt in areas that allow rifles or only shotguns? Under 100 yards, and any 12 gauge with good slugs will do the job, if you can put them where you aim.

Savage is a good choice with lots of aftermarket support. Really all you need to decide is short action 10 or long action 110. If you are only shooting .308, you can stay with a short action. A nice upgrade for the Savage stock is a chassis from XLR https://xlrindustries.com/products/element-chassis

My rule of thumb on price is: rifle costs X, optics cost 2X, and you should budget 3X for ammunition. Nothing really matters if you don't put the time into becoming the best marksman you can be.

Be safe.

Not Sure

Jan 1, 2021
    I am fond of the Savage 110 Apex Hunter. In most cases I get 1MOA groups or better. My best was 1/2moa. Its a good rifle for the price and is more than adequate for your task.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Thomsan Center Compass, I have other rifles I bought this on a whim , wanted an 06 to hunt with that I didn’t mind say getting through the woods with . It’s light , nice trigger , put compensater on it and was pleasantly surprised , accurate is an understatement. Im so freakin happy with it .like to find one in 270. Bought mine at the store we don’t talk about anymore , although the one in Hagerstown still sells firearms, on a after Thanksgiving sell, bought Nikon 4x12 that was on sale , clearance and rebate for around 300. Have Savage rifles happy with them . Watch some the older Remingtons they had some recall issues, assume new ones gtg.But if your staying on budget, get a Compass you won’t be disappointed. Bolt doesn’t have tight tolerances but again I’ve never had an issue and it’s a shooter . Was amazed at when I put the compensator on it in the reduction of felt recoil and muzzle jump. Heck paid damn near cost of rifle , not everything but it wasn’t cheap . Magazine ehhhh not a fan but been working so far, no issues feeding .Hard getting use to plastic ,nylon whatever ya want to call it. Tried a lot of different ammo and at 100 you should be drilling it with no problem. At that point isn’t the arrow it’s the Indian. JMO

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Do you plan to hunt in areas that allow rifles or only shotguns? Under 100 yards, and any 12 gauge with good slugs will do the job, if you can put them where you aim.

Savage is a good choice with lots of aftermarket support. Really all you need to decide is short action 10 or long action 110. If you are only shooting .308, you can stay with a short action. A nice upgrade for the Savage stock is a chassis from XLR https://xlrindustries.com/products/element-chassis

My rule of thumb on price is: rifle costs X, optics cost 2X, and you should budget 3X for ammunition. Nothing really matters if you don't put the time into becoming the best marksman you can be.

Be safe.
    Hi. I plan to use the rifle to hunt in areas that are either rifle only or allow both. Right now this is new and I have not been out as of yet but have some friends who are experienced hunters that are willing/eager to take me out in both scenarios. I already have a Mossberg that I will use in a the shotgun areas, but want to try the rifle side as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom