• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Here's a decent looking place: https://tbd-102081502.remax.com/wv/...-24954/14866020127816881229/M00000669/20-1089

8.5AC on Big Laurel Creek near Marlinton. That puts it within 30 minutes of Snowshoe Mountain Resort and very close to the Cranberry Wilderness, Cranberry River, Williams River, Cherry River, and headwaters of the Elk and Tygart Rivers as well, all excellent trout streams. It's also practically right on top of a WMA (good hunting!). There is a nice looking main house along with a guest house, a large garage for all your toys, and finishable rooms over the garage as well. Marlinton is only a short drive away for groceries, booze, car repairs (and sales if you're a Chevy fan), and most other needs. The closest Walmart is the Super Walmart in Lewisburg, about 30 minutes south, and the closest Tudor's Biscuit World is about 25 minutes south.

That may not be someone's idea of a get-away for weekends, but it'd make a nice retirement home, especially if Gov. Justice gets his way and personal income tax goes away.

If someone would be so kind as to buy this one: https://search.greenbrierrealestate...ing/a272/20-1291/11803-Edray-Rd-Cass-WV-24927 it would save me a bunch of grief. My wife is practically willing to sell her soul to buy it despite the fact that there isn't ANYTHING in Cloverlick other than peace and quiet, and excellent fishing and hunting.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Here's a decent looking place: https://tbd-102081502.remax.com/wv/...-24954/14866020127816881229/M00000669/20-1089

8.5AC on Big Laurel Creek near Marlinton. That puts it within 30 minutes of Snowshoe Mountain Resort and very close to the Cranberry Wilderness, Cranberry River, Williams River, Cherry River, and headwaters of the Elk and Tygart Rivers as well, all excellent trout streams. It's also practically right on top of a WMA (good hunting!). There is a nice looking main house along with a guest house, a large garage for all your toys, and finishable rooms over the garage as well. Marlinton is only a short drive away for groceries, booze, car repairs (and sales if you're a Chevy fan), and most other needs. The closest Walmart is the Super Walmart in Lewisburg, about 30 minutes south, and the closest Tudor's Biscuit World is about 25 minutes south.

That may not be someone's idea of a get-away for weekends, but it'd make a nice retirement home, especially if Gov. Justice gets his way and personal income tax goes away.

If someone would be so kind as to buy this one: https://search.greenbrierrealestate...ing/a272/20-1291/11803-Edray-Rd-Cass-WV-24927 it would save me a bunch of grief. My wife is practically willing to sell her soul to buy it despite the fact that there isn't ANYTHING in Cloverlick other than peace and quiet, and excellent fishing and hunting.

Very cool. I had a lot of family in Pocahontas county back in the day. I found a lot of them when i was doing genealogy research.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    How much property is enough property?
    I was originally thinking 15-20 for isolation and shooting and a cabin. What's the minimum required for that?
    I feel like anything under 10 wouldn't be enough. I never want to see neighbors or traffic at all. But can't afford 100 screws either!

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

Both very lovely places...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I was originally thinking 15-20 for isolation and shooting and a cabin. What's the minimum required for that?
    I feel like anything under 10 wouldn't be enough. I never want to see neighbors or traffic at all. But can't afford 100 screws either!

All depends on the nature of the neighbors themselves, and the shape the lot(s), the access method, the topography, the openness/woodsiness and such.

We're contemplating a 20-ish-acre lot in WV. Can see the neighbors off yonder in two directions (and occasionally smell another neighbor's cow pasture), but things are situated on those long, rolling hills wedge-shaped lots such that there's no problem at all with shooting (physically, or socially). I'm not convinced that zero neighbor visibility is necessarily a goal for its own sake. I don't want to hear their toilets flushing when the windows are open, but I don't mind seeing a little puddle of light at night over the hill where they are - just don't want a mercury vapor barn loft floodlight directly in my line of sight pointing in my kitchen window, even from 1000 yards. Always compromises.

We're finding that social/lifestyle recon is at least as important as the land/resources/access/weather recon.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I have seen 25 acres with a house in the corner only 100 feet from a neighbor. Much depends on the layout of the land and location of the house. I never understood why someone would want a ton of land and have a house right next to the road. I see it all the time.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

Depends on surroundings, I have 7.5 acres and lots on sides cannot be built on. The little flat land there is is in flood plane. They cannot blast granite rock out for higher ground due to close proximity to me. Land in back is 1,000 feet away and in front is riverfront. Well is 450 feet deep so that's not a cheap proposition. So unless neighbors that I have never seen pitch a tent for the weekend I own the immediate world.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I have seen 25 acres with a house in the corner only 100 feet from a neighbor. Much depends on the layout of the land and location of the house. I never understood why someone would want a ton of land and have a house right next to the road. I see it all the time.

Seen that as well but I'm guessing electric hookup.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

If you don't want to see the neighbors, 40ac will do you just fine if you can plunk your house right down in the middle of it. That, of course, depends on how your lot is situated and what the potential building sites look like.

One thing to remember is that if you're outside of a sub-division or other community that has covenants in place, someone can buy 1/8 of their uncle's property right next to your lot and plunk a dilapidated trailer down on it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Again, the minimum required for shooting depends on the county ordinances and state hunting laws. FWIW, a berm or bullet trap of some type is usually sufficient even if you're short on land.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    If you don't want to see the neighbors, 40ac will do you just fine if you can plunk your house right down in the middle of it. That, of course, depends on how your lot is situated and what the potential building sites look like.

One thing to remember is that if you're outside of a sub-division or other community that has covenants in place, someone can buy 1/8 of their uncle's property right next to your lot and plunk a dilapidated trailer down on it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Again, the minimum required for shooting depends on the county ordinances and state hunting laws. FWIW, a berm or bullet trap of some type is usually sufficient even if you're short on land.

There's always something you can do about it. A dilapidated trailer would be easy.

Moving on! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Any idea of the elevation difference between the creek and the house, or where the flood plain is?

I have acreage, no house yet, but there is a creek running through the property. The planned building site is high enough above the creek that if it floods, everyone else will need an Ark.

It's up in the mountains above Marlinton, so my best guess is that while it's out of the average floodplain, it's likely that at least part of the property is within the FEMA 100 year risk zone. That said, there are sites that use GIS mapping data to project the flood plain over a specific address to let you know. WV themselves have one such tool available for public use thanks to the recent historic floods that happened nearly back-to-back. It can be found here: https://www.mapwv.gov/flood/map/ The caveat is, like all things GIS, they're no substitute at this time for a proper on-the-ground survey.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It's up in the mountains above Marlinton, so my best guess is that while it's out of the average floodplain, it's likely that at least part of the property is within the FEMA 100 year risk zone. That said, there are sites that use GIS mapping data to project the flood plain over a specific address to let you know. WV themselves have one such tool available for public use thanks to the recent historic floods that happened nearly back-to-back. It can be found here: https://www.mapwv.gov/flood/map/ The caveat is, like all things GIS, they're no substitute at this time for a proper on-the-ground survey.

Aaaaaaan Marlinton is now flooded as of today March 1 2021. Should give you an idea of the flood prone areas coincidence related to topic?????? mmmmm

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Aaaaaaan Marlinton is now flooded as of today March 1 2021. Should give you an idea of the flood prone areas coincidence related to topic?????? mmmmm

This particular property is well up the hill from Marlinton, it's northwest of Wilson which is NW of Edray. Marlinton, btw, ALWAYS floods. You can set your watch by the floods on the Greenbrier in the spring. Buying in downtown Marlinton is a fool's errand.

I'd never buy on bottomland in:
    • Clay
    • Clendenin
    • Elkview
    • White Sulphur Springs
    • Rainelle
    • Marlinton

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    In WV, if a piece of land is flat, it floods ;-)

The only exceptions are some of the mountaintop orchards, and reclaimed mines, they are kind of flat but don't flood.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    In WV, if a piece of land is flat, it floods ;-)

The only exceptions are some of the mountaintop orchards, and reclaimed mines, they are kind of flat but don't flood.

Just got off the phone with my mom (Charleston, WV) and she mentioned that my dad said the Kanawha is currently the highest he's ever seen it in his 73 years on this planet. No major flooding in the Kanawha Valley yet, but there's been some minor stuff all over thanks to the snow pack melting right when it decided to dump 3" of rain on top of everything.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Just got off the phone with my mom (Charleston, WV) and she mentioned that my dad said the Kanawha is currently the highest he's ever seen it in his 73 years on this planet. No major flooding in the Kanawha Valley yet, but there's been some minor stuff all over thanks to the snow pack melting right when it decided to dump 3" of rain on top of everything.

This concern was just in the SW PA news (KDKA). The snow melt with heavy rains and the already saturated ground, concern for all those near water. Seems to be lining up for the WV neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom