• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    The river levels up here have dropped back down substantially. So much so that I am going to go trout fishing on my lunch break today.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    The OP provided a great overview. We just bought 20 AC in a development to build a vacation home. In researching and searching for properties, I found that nearly everywhere allowed hunting and use of ATVs on your own land. The covenants and restrictions typically involved:

(1) No structures or improvements prior to construction of a dwelling (but you can put in septic and electric for trailer hookup);

(2) Restricting dwellings to those over ~700 sq ft on permanent foundations;

(3) Restriction on the amount of livestock and farm animals; and

(4) Less frequently, restrictions on “recreational shooting,” which I think boils down to not doing anything your neighbors complain about.

As mentioned by other posters, there are pluses and minuses to restricted/unrestricted land.

On the plus side: resale value; protection from neighbors doing truly crazy stuff that would change the character of the land you purchased; and often, maintained roads and utility access/easements.

On the minus side: it may not line up with what you want to do on the land.

The big takeaway, as mentioned by others, is to pull the deeds from the county clerk’s website, request copies of the covenants and restrictions from your/their realtor before you sign a contract, read them carefully, and consult an attorney if you have questions. Do NOT rely on the sellers or realtors to give you honest, accurate answers. Get paperwork.

Also, if you’re considering building a house or want trailer hookups, ask for a recent perc test or make your purchase contract contingent on getting a perc (on your dime) at whatever level the county will need for the amount of BRs you plan to have. Again, don’t trust the sellers or realtors. If they can’t get you previous test documentation, sometime the county health department can provide them (I got one from the county where we bought; 5 minute phone call and they emailed it to me).

Power access is also potentially VERY expensive, even if there are transmission lines at the property line. Differs from area to area, but where we bought, the power company will install 1000’ of line and transformers on their dime; you just pay for trenching or clearing right of way for poles). Beyond that 1000’, it becomes your cost and it is stratospherically expensive. Worth considering this when you’re looking at potential build sites.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Gentlemen, I seriously don't think you can beat this one: http://www.lostriverrealestate.com/idx-default.html#PropertyID=1089080822

11.3ac just 3.5hrs from the DC metro area with easy access to Harrisonburg for any needs (groceries, Walmart, etc). Electric, well, and septic are already in place. There's an existing outbuilding with a bathroom, hot water heater, and "kitchen sink" setup as well as enough space to easily be converted into a hunting cabin or just a safe spot to get out of the weather. Previous owners obviously used a camper/RV with the property from prior satellite photos. Wall tent or similar would probably even be fine. A native trout stream runs through the property and the vast majority of it is outside both the 100 and 500-year floodplain including the potential cabin/house sites.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Gentlemen, I seriously don't think you can beat this one: http://www.lostriverrealestate.com/idx-default.html#PropertyID=1089080822

11.3ac just 3.5hrs from the DC metro area with easy access to Harrisonburg for any needs (groceries, Walmart, etc). Electric, well, and septic are already in place. There's an existing outbuilding with a bathroom, hot water heater, and "kitchen sink" setup as well as enough space to easily be converted into a hunting cabin or just a safe spot to get out of the weather. Previous owners obviously used a camper/RV with the property from prior satellite photos. Wall tent or similar would probably even be fine. A native trout stream runs through the property and the vast majority of it is outside both the 100 and 500-year floodplain including the potential cabin/house sites.

Before I clicked I said, 200k.

Damn! Screw a new truck. Buy this.

Seems in a hoa type area, something estates?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I wonder what the elevation is between the crik and the RV site.

Checked the WV flood maps, it's out of the 100 and 500-year planes. Camper is the white speck to the NW of the crosshairs. "Bath house" is the building on up from that. Edit: Looks to be about 100 vertical feet from the creek according to Google's topo.

It may go fast because I just got off the phone with my father and he's VERY interested himself after I sent the listing to him.

I saw this property listed about 4-5 years ago and fell in love with it then. Got pulled from the market for a few years and now it's back.

1.5 hours from Harrisonburg, 2 hours from Snowshoe, 1.5 from Greenbank/Cass, 20 minutes to Franklin (nice town with stores, shops, B&Bs, etc.) 1.5 from the top of Spruce Knob.

Attachments

• floodplain.jpg
      floodplain.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 348
    • Gradient.jpg
      Gradient.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 347

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Checked the WV flood maps, it's out of the 100 and 500-year planes. Camper is the white speck to the NW of the crosshairs. "Bath house" is the building on up from that. Edit: Looks to be about 100 vertical feet from the creek according to Google's topo.

It may go fast because I just got off the phone with my father and he's VERY interested himself after I sent the listing to him.

I saw this property listed about 4-5 years ago and fell in love with it then. Got pulled from the market for a few years and now it's back.

1.5 hours from Harrisonburg, 2 hours from Snowshoe, 1.5 from Greenbank/Cass, 20 minutes to Franklin (nice town with stores, shops, B&Bs, etc.) 1.5 from the top of Spruce Knob.

64k for the dirt with the utilities and road already in place. You can't beat that. There may be a covenant against modular, but you could probably put a nice log cabin or craftsman on there for not much money.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

Lol, I've been looking at that listing. Thinking about taking a look on Saturday. Wondering about C&Rs if any. Also looks like it could be flood prone, despite what FEMA says.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Lol, I've been looking at that listing. Thinking about taking a look on Saturday. Wondering about C&Rs if any. Also looks like it could be flood prone, despite what FEMA says.

Nah, 100' of elevation between the bathhouse and the creek.

FWIW, my dad was already looking at cabin plans when I got off the phone with him tonight about this property. :D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is anyone familiar with "sediment credits?" They're a thing here in VA (not that I really understand them), but not sure if they exist WV.

My understanding is that it solely a VA thing created in an attempt to prevent phosphorus, nitrogen, and other algae-bloom causing elements from entering the Chesapeake Bay watershed at un-natural levels. WV doesn't have anything like that to my knowledge. They see the Chesapeake as the domain of the DMV area and given the distance between where the tributaries of the Potomac leave the state and where that water would enter the bay, I doubt there's much reason to hold WV accountable for any of the bay polution.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Here's a nice one for someone looking for a lot of land. 56.5ac +/- in the eastern highlands of WV. Northwest of Marlinton up in the mountains on Williams River Rd. It's actually right across the road from another property I listed earlier. $149,900 with multiple springs (put in a cistern, no well needed!) ponds, tons of pasture land, and woods. Hunter's/Shooter's/Angler's paradise.

https://www.remax.com/wv/marlinton/...v-24954/11646238844514764330/M00000669/20-891

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This one's not bad at all for the price. Truly, it's a 1BR 1BA since the loft that is being counted as the 2nd bedroom doesn't have windows or a closet. It'd make a nice getaway for sure. Close to Cass, Greenbank, Snowshoe, Spruce Knob and Seneca Rocks. Great for fishing, skiing, hunting, or just relaxing. 3+ AC with an undeveloped mountain at your back. Neighbors are close-ish, but it doesn't look like anyone would be behind you or on either side given the terrain. $65k ain't bad at all. Spring-fed water system plus septic for the sewer.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/599-Curry-Rd-Dunmore-WV-24934/2070835349_zpid/?

Last edited:

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    mom passed in November. estate split between my sister and I. 132 acres in Maysville, WV 1980 sq foot brick rancher stick built by parents friends/builders in 1993. Need to fix the well and septic and Ac. I was willed 65 acres pf mountain land and 1/2 the house. Sister got 60 acres and 1/2 the house.. she lives in AZ. I bought her out.. It will be the fanciest hunting cabin you have seen. Time and $$ but will have the water and heat fixed by fall... Septic can limp along since not much use...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    mom passed in November. estate split between my sister and I. 132 acres in Maysville, WV 1980 sq foot brick rancher stick built by parents friends/builders in 1993. Need to fix the well and septic and Ac. I was willed 65 acres pf mountain land and 1/2 the house. Sister got 60 acres and 1/2 the house.. she lives in AZ. I bought her out.. It will be the fanciest hunting cabin you have seen. Time and $$ but will have the water and heat fixed by fall... Septic can limp along since not much use...

Sweet. That is a nice area.

When they complete corridor-H to connect to 66, the value of your mountain land will go up considerably.

(I mean of course not 'sweet' that your mom passed, but getting a nice family property dispenses with many of the other uncertainties of buying a place)

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Sweet. That is a nice area.

When they complete corridor-H to connect to 66, the value of your mountain land will go up considerably.

(I mean of course not 'sweet' that your mom passed, but getting a nice family property dispenses with many of the other uncertainties of buying a place)

I hope that never happens, the area is already being impacted by overcrowding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom