• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I need a new electric mower, does anyone have opinions on the currently available options. I may prefer corded vs battery.

Full disclosure: on any given day you can find me cutting grass/stuff down with one of two Kubota zero turns, three different bush hogs, a John Deere 420, Cub Cadet (today) ... etc, and just rented a track driven mulcher being delivered to the farm today but prefer something light for the lawn at the house/around the pool. I've had two B&D < $200 mowers get me through the last 11 years! Thanks!

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I assume you are looking for a push mower. I bought the EGO from Home Depot, it was a whopping $500, but was worth every penny. Charges fast, 56V lithium battery, and the mower has a ton of power in that brushless motor. I have abused it for about a year and it works as good as the day I bought it.

27-D06419-6-BF6-4784-9-D7-B-68979-EF02325.png

Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    We have a townhome and I tried two electric mowers. One was a red Toro, the other a black and orange one, maybe black and decker from Lowes, can't remember. They were both corded and a pain in the ass. I would never buy a corded mower again. I am trying to remember, but the Toro I think got so overloaded with the load on the motor from the tall grass (mowing once a week too), something in the electric motor fused. Maybe the brushes. Went back to gas mowers. I was looking into a rechargeable mower, but like being able to just pour some gas in and go and not have to remember to recharge a battery pack after letting it cool down.

I want Tesla to make a mower with auto cruise, that mows the lawn by itself.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What Sirex says. I have a chorded mower for a small patch for our 2nd home on the coast and it WAS a pain. IT works, but whipping that darn chord around is a pain and SLOWS things down. At the time the battery ones were glorified weed wackers. Few neighbors out here have electrics and they work great. I now have a guy that mows 3 neighbors yards and is dirt cheap so I dont mow anymore.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just bought a new mower - with how long a mower tends to last me, I couldn't get past the idea that the electric is still relatively new technology for this kind of machine, so I went with another gas Toro. My last Toro mower lasted 18 or 19 years and was still "working" even though it was no longer running well.

I bought essentially the same mower that I already had - 22" Recycler with the Personal Pace feature.

I'm going to keep my eyes on the electric mowers, but I don't know what real advantages they'd have over gas other than noise, and no exhaust.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    We have a townhome and I tried two electric mowers. One was a red Toro, the other a black and orange one, maybe black and decker from Lowes, can't remember. They were both corded and a pain in the ass. I would never buy a corded mower again. I am trying to remember, but the Toro I think got so overloaded with the load on the motor from the tall grass (mowing once a week too), something in the electric motor fused. Maybe the brushes. Went back to gas mowers. I was looking into a rechargeable mower, but like being able to just pour some gas in and go and not have to remember to recharge a battery pack after letting it cool down.

I want Tesla to make a mower with auto cruise, that mows the lawn by itself.

There are autonomous mowers.

Husqvarna makes one. Honda too. Husq is about 1200?

Place I stayed at had one. Seems OK. Like a roomba but for grass cutting.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I'm going to keep my eyes on the electric mowers, but I don't know what real advantages they'd have over gas other than noise, and no exhaust.

They are also lighter. You will notice the difference if you have back or knee issues.

I have an Ego and a Honda. I barely use the Honda.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Our house lot is mostly wooded, but does have a small area of grass. I've definitely bought into the Ryobi 40v cordless technology since getting the mower. In addition to the mower, we now have a string trimmer, leaf blower and chainsaw. With multiple batteries and chargers, there's never any downtime.

JoeR

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use a 21” greenworks mower off Amazon. Works great. I’ve got 4.4 acres, half wooded. I use it for some edge trimming, under my kid’s swing set and in my fenced orchard (about 2500sq-ft). Fairly light, cuts even pretty tall grass if I let it go too long. Battery can probably handle about a quarter acre on the charge of a 40v, 4ah battery based on the couple times I’ve used it to mow my entire immediate backyard (it is steep and it sucks to run my riding mower on).

They have self propelled 80v models as well. I haven’t tried them.

Also like their 15” chainsaw and 17” string trimmer.

Trimmer way better than a gas unless you need to trim woody brush.

Chainsaw great for light work. Limbing, small trees and smaller log cutting. I get out my stihl farm boss for any medium or heavy work though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I just bought a new mower - with how long a mower tends to last me, I couldn't get past the idea that the electric is still relatively new technology for this kind of machine, so I went with another gas Toro. My last Toro mower lasted 18 or 19 years and was still "working" even though it was no longer running well.

I bought essentially the same mower that I already had - 22" Recycler with the Personal Pace feature.

A lot lighter. Better for the environment. No worries on maintenance (no oil or filters to change. No worry about gas going bad).

The quieter and no exhaust are huge IMHO. That’s as much why I am looking at an electric zero turn mower as anything.

Downside is less run time and can be more expensive. Especially if you feel you need several batteries. That said, can be cheaper if looking at the entire ecosystem. I spent maybe $550-600 between mower, string trimmer, chainsaw and leaf blower (forgot about that one), a pair of 4ah and a 2ah battery with some of the tools (some tool only) and an AC battery invert so I can run up to 150w AC devices off the batteries.

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    I recently got the Greenworks 10 Amp 16-inch Corded Mower via Amazon for about $140. I've used it once and I believe it will suit my purposes. I considered the Greenworks 12 Amp 20-Inch 3-in-1Electric Corded Lawn Mower for $200+tax from Amazon. The width of the 16-inch is a little small but I still believe I made the right decision for me.

I have a lawn service do the front and part of the back but I do the back around the pool. If I were to do the entire yard myself I would have went with the 20-inch version.

I used electric corded mowers back when I had a townhouse. I've used a gas mower for the single family home until I recently got the lawn service. I choose the Greenworks entirely by reviews and price.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is what someone in Middletown has for their yard. Actually they have two…one in front and one in back. Almost like a mowing Rumba!

Attachments

• A189583E-FC6D-4CC0-9BF2-3D6AF634303A.jpg
      A189583E-FC6D-4CC0-9BF2-3D6AF634303A.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 331

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is what someone in Middletown has for their yard. Actually they have two…one in front and one in back. Almost like a mowing Rumba!

I think the biggest issue is you’ve gotta bury the perimeter wire. Not the end of the world, but adds an expense, even if you do it yourself. Especially if you’ve got a decent sized yard.

A friend had a set. 3 of them for his 7 acres. Worked, but they mowed constantly to keep it trimmed as each one only mows a few tenths of an acre before needing to charge a few hours and then back at it.

24x7 as it took a few days for them to mow the whole thing. Also something like 5-6k for all the wire and burying it.

But again, that was 7ac. A small property it would probably be fine, but know it’s going to be out there mowing for hours to get the job done for even a fairly small single family home property. Not super noisy.

Also you’ll be the first to go when the machines rise up.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I think the biggest issue is you’ve gotta bury the perimeter wire. Not the end of the world, but adds an expense, even if you do it yourself. Especially if you’ve got a decent sized yard.

A friend had a set. 3 of them for his 7 acres. Worked, but they mowed constantly to keep it trimmed as each one only mows a few tenths of an acre before needing to charge a few hours and then back at it.

24x7 as it took a few days for them to mow the whole thing. Also something like 5-6k for all the wire and burying it.

But again, that was 7ac. A small property it would probably be fine, but know it’s going to be out there mowing for hours to get the job done for even a fairly small single family home property. Not super noisy.

Also you’ll be the first to go when the machines rise up.

Yea but you can be sitting on the porch with a cold one watching them work…

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    My kid bought the giant Ryobi Zero turn rider for his acre + yard---he is very pleased with it -it has plenty of grunt and has battery left when he is done---it was spendy however

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Our house lot is mostly wooded, but does have a small area of grass. I've definitely bought into the Ryobi 40v cordless technology since getting the mower. In addition to the mower, we now have a string trimmer, leaf blower and chainsaw. With multiple batteries and chargers, there's never any downtime.

JoeR

This is the one I'm getting to replace our gas push mower. Ryobi's 18v tools have impressed me. I get why they get some hate, but they hold up really well. Out of all their tools I've bought, I've only had issues with the 18v chainsaw. It sat in an unheated shed the first winter I had it and the bar oil tank cracked.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I assume you are looking for a push mower. I bought the EGO from Home Depot, it was a whopping $500, but was worth every penny. Charges fast, 56V lithium battery, and the mower has a ton of power in that brushless motor. I have abused it for about a year and it works as good as the day I bought it.

27-D06419-6-BF6-4784-9-D7-B-68979-EF02325.png

I got the step down from this one from Ace two yrs ago still going strong and much better then the corded ones the preceded it.:thumbsup:

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I like my Ryobi 40V a lot, but it takes two 5ah batteries fully-charged to finish the 1/3 acre yard, especially if it's hot out and/or the grass is a little tall. I think the EGO is probably better-built but you pay for it too. I'll never go back to gas, and I was a total "only gas" lawn tool guy forever. Got an extra blade and battery and I'm good to go.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks Everyone, I am going to look into the Ryobi and their Battery ecosystem the EGO seems to be difficult to find in stock and $$$$. I have repaired several of my neighbors gas mowers while my corded mower laughs and keeps cutting. There can be days that I ride the mower for 3 to 4 hours (700 yd range :) ) so when I head home early to cut grass at home, getting a break to re-charge a battery sounds like a plus.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 7.26.29 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 7.26.29 AM.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 253

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads