• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some comments in the You are getting Old(er) thread, and watching the new War of the Worlds got me thinking.

One might consider getting a vehicle from an older/simpler time.

A vehicle without any electronics will survive and run after an EMP strike.

So back to Points and a coil, carburetor, no anti lock brakes.

Just a discussion point.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Some comments in the You are getting Old(er) thread, and watching the new War of the Worlds got me thinking.

Just a discussion point.

My son and I picked up a cool project car last summer. We drove it around all day Saturday, she ran great.
    It’s a 63 Corvair. I was never into Corvairs before this purchase, but I love the car. Definitely a fun driving experience.

Attachments

• 5F020BB2-68BA-4E4C-B322-465A09F690C1.jpg
      5F020BB2-68BA-4E4C-B322-465A09F690C1.jpg
      113 KB · Views: 1,121

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    My son and I picked up a cool project car last summer. We drove it around all day Saturday, she ran great.
    It’s a 63 Corvair. I was never into Corvairs before this purchase, but I love the car. Definitely a fun driving experience.

Ralph Nader weeps.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That's a beauty!!! Congrats...

Thanks. We did some work to her over the winter. Mainly, New carburetors and dual exhaust.
    She’s definitely and 20 footer. She’s got some rust issues, we’ll have to fix later.

So far we have kept it all original: points and drum breaks all around. Air cooled engine, so maintenance, is pretty easy. She’s no speed demo for sure, but she’s fun to drive. What’s that old saying? “It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow”
    Lol.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Just a discussion point.

That has been suggested many times on this forum and others. Removing the sensitive electronics would certainly make it less vulnerable, but depending upon how powerful or how close it was, I wonder if perhaps that might not be enough.

In 1859 a massive solar flare erupted, what is now known as the Carrington event. The only widespread technology at the time was the telegraph system, and it was hit pretty hard. The magnetic fields produced by the flare induced strong currents in the long wires, causing fires, and in some cases melting the wires.

I wonder if something similar like a nearby EMP or repeat of the Carrington event could cause a similar problem with the coil and wiring in an older vehicle, producing a very high current and possibly a great deal of heat, enough to damage or destroy the coil or start a fire.

If you're thinking of going to that much trouble you should probably invest in a couple of spare coils and replacement wiring harnesses and keep them buried in a metal box. :)

https://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

https://www.universetoday.com/132890/what-was-the-carrington-event/

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    A friend of mine had a Corvair back in the day. What I remember most about it was, because of its design, how well it performed in snow compared to most other vehicles of the time.

Haven’t drove it in the snow, but I can imagine they did good. I know the VW bug did good in the snow. Same concept, the weight is over the drive tires. Much like the front wheel drive cars today.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

My dad had as 1961 Corvair in the early 70's. He would pull up to the pumps at the gas station and say, fill it up with oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom