• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, talk revolvers to me. I've got a Colt Official Police, NJ State Police, 1929 manufacture. I love it. It was out of time from a worn hand. Got a repro, which was short. Welded it up, ground it to shape and now it runs fantastic. But I am looking to get in to the .357 game. I think I've got the lever gun down (looking at a Marlin 1894 CST threaded or Dark. Probably the 1894 CST. Kind of just waiting for some reviews of them under Ruger's ownership first).

But I am trying to figure out what Revolver I want in 357. I've narrowed it down to a GP100, 6" barrel. Or a Chiappa Rhino 60DS 6".

I see pluses and minus to both. The GP100 has more parts and people who know how to work on it. The more traditional design probably makes it more accessible for me to work on it. It has 1 more shot than the Rhino. Its got a traditional look. It is quite a bit less running about $400-500 less new and of course plenty out there to track down a used one maybe $100 or so less.

The Rhino has good optics options for hunting. Low bore axis, so in theory easier to fire and faster. it weighs about 10oz less than the GP100, but still plenty heavy that a hot .357 isn't going to suck shooting it. Futuristic look.

I've played with a GP100 once briefly and liked the trigger (it was a factory trigger). I've picked up a Rhino once at a show, no chance to play with the trigger.

Anyone shoot or own both? Any thoughts on them? Ignoring price for a moment, would one stand out as a better option for 95% shooting at the range, 4% deer hunting some day, maybe. 1% woods/camping carry if SCOTUS steps in an smacks may issue states down some day. Or if I get a bigger property it might be my go to carrying around the property gun. I've got some Glocks that might just be an OC woods/property gun. But I don't know. I like the idea of a pretty weather resistant revolver as a carry around gun. I feel like it seems a little less intimidating for some folks to see someone carrying a revolver. And it is just as likely it would be used to pop a Varmint at some point. And a 125gr .357 XTP out of a 6" barreled revolver seems like a better and more accurate way to do that than a Glock 17 or 21 (either of them I can put 9 out of 10 rounds on a torso target at 50yds if I am being even mildly careful. MY G34, which I wouldn't carry, is more like 9 out of 10 on a half sized target at 50yds).

The lever gun is a bit of the same. I just want one to shoot cheap reloads at the range, with a can. But also to shoot really hot loads for deer hunting in straight wall counties. And lastly if I end up with that big property, it might be an ATV or occasional walk around gun.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You're seeing cheaper prices on GP-100s than I am...

I can't see any reason to get the Rhino. Literally none. It doesn't do anything objectively better than the Ruger that would justify the increased cost.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    All I can offer is that I have the Ruger GP100 Match Champion .357 Magnum and it's a great firearm. I took a friend up to Heritage last weekend and he shot it, he's in the process of buying one now. I find it pretty easy to shoot accurately in SA and pretty frustrating to shoot in DA, probably due to lack of practice on my side.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Between the two mentioned...Ruger without question. If you want to consider others...think about a Ruger Security-Six. They're a bit difficult to find comparatively but that's because their owners don't want to give them up. Also...a Dan Wesson Model 15...very well made and versatile with interchangeable barrels.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    All I can offer is that I have the Ruger GP100 Match Champion .357 Magnum and it's a great firearm. I took a friend up to Heritage last weekend and he shot it, he's in the process of buying one now. I find it pretty easy to shoot accurately in SA and pretty frustrating to shoot in DA, probably due to lack of practice on my side.

Yes, you need to practice trigger control in DA. I shoot my GP100 rather well in DA but I take my time Eventually it will become muscle memory

I also installed a 1 oz. lighter hammer spring.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I have the "TANK" (4" GP100). Extremely well built and a little easier to work on than my Model 14 S&W.
    And the stock Hogue grip is A-MAZE-ING....for me (Arthritis in hands ) I also installed adjustable Tritium night sights
    that are extremely bright at night. It's also a looker in my opinion

I did install a 1 oz. lighter hammer spring.

Attachments

• GP 100.jpg
      GP 100.jpg
      95 KB · Views: 478

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Between the two , one is a very proven , very rugged Revolver , one is an extremely ugly curiosity .

If you already have narrowed to GP-100 , we won't talk you out of it , but there are a plethora of other excellent choices . One avenue I will point out for your stated goals is SA Revolver , 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk in particular .

You can go now with .357/ 9mm Convertable to share ammo/ components with your G17 now , or get GP- 100 now , and for your Next addition to check off the Big Bore checklist with Blackhawk .45 LC/ .45 acp Convertable .

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I start with how it feels in your hand,, however never handled a Rhino but,,,, its ugggly
    get a Ruger,,,, I love Python and enjoy Taurus revolvers
    hope I did not upset you sir

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Soooo many good .357 revolvers to choose from!

Just me perhaps. But for somebody who would be really hard pressed to genuinely dislike any revolver, that Rhino might come closest.

I have and like the Ruger GP100 ok. But I like the predecessor Ruger Six Series revolvers better.

Look around. Lots of good stuff out there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sounds convincing to me. I’d maybe consider a security six. But I like the option of an extra round.

As for others, I am not a flat out no on them. S&Ws are nice, but just don’t tickle anything for me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    FWIW, there used to be reloading recipies that specified that they should only be used in Ruger revolvers or Marlin carbines. If you're going to try to share heavy ammo between the revolver and the lever gun than I would absolutely stick with a Ruger.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Of all the Italian gunmakers, IMHO Chiappa is on the lower end of the quality scale compared to Beretta, Uberti, San Marco and Tanfoglio et al.

Ruger is just Ruger.

Design, Function, Quality, Warranty and Great Customer Service.

You can hate Bill Ruger Sr and Jr but you can't hate their guns.

SRC is the Chick-fil-A of Firearms.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Armi San Marco is defunct ( but I do have some of their revolvers , and they were certainly quite satisfactory .

The * Ruger Only * loads are generally in the context of .45 Colt . Yes , .357 Blackhawk is hella strong & rugged , but most full size .357 revolvers aren't lacking either . Where the New Model Blackhawk stood out was in having a Long cylinder that will accept longer than SAAMI COL . ( think be able to use Authentic Keith 173 SWC crimped in crimp groove in .357 cases .)

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Pretty sure my 6" GP100 is my favorite handgun. Never shot a Chiappa and don't know anything about them, aside from the fact that I think they look ridiculous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Chiappa Rhino is the AMC Pacer of the gun world . Makes Hi Point pistols look normal by comparison .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Ruger GP100= tough, reliable, bulky, the trigger has a linear somewhat vague feel, decently smooth about an average 5# sa / 10# da

Rhino = unproven, really low bore axis reduces muzzle flip, lightweight, pic rail for optics, decent trigger similar in feel to the GP100. Fired one at it was cool, seemed well enough made and reliable, but only traded a few rounds with it's ower to shoot my competition 686

S&W 686 = sleeker, smoother, better trigger than either, comfortable grip, have to confess I'm a fan and love mine, the leaf spring has a different trigger feel that makes it feel more predictable and more controlled. A decent trigger job can give you near perfection in a trigger, a fast, glass smooth and predictable 7# DA and super light < 3# SA that takes pretty much no movement to fire. The 327 or R8 are a little larger, but 8 shot and offer more than the others

Colt- gorgeous, best triggers out of the box, classic style, but expensive.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ruger all day every day, given your choices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom