• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    Hi,
    I just moved to Maryland and so far not liking all these restrictive gun laws at all! Anyways, can anyone recommend a dealer that can handle an internet order in Harford County? All the shops I have all said it would be 50.00 plus some MSP fee for a handgun 10.00 more I think.

Second, one of the dealers said that I would also have to pay for an "MD Required Intergrated Locking Device = $30.00 + tax" ! I told him it was a brand new in box Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44, and he said it didn't matter. Of course this is the first time I am ever hearing of this law so I contacted RUger and they sent me this link
    http://www.ruger.com/safety/storageLocking.html
    where is specifically states
    "The State of Maryland has mandated that all pistols and revolvers manufactured on or after January 1, 2003 must have an “integrated mechanical safety device” to be legally available for sale in Maryland. As a result, beginning in 2004, newly designed and manufactured Ruger pistols will be equipped with internal locks."

The dealer has not replied so far--so I think he was just trying to rip me off some more?:mad54:

Anyways, I would appreciate any help--thanks

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I just moved to Maryland and so far not liking all these restrictive gun laws at all! Anyways, can anyone recommend a dealer that can handle an internet order in Harford County? All the shops I have all said it would be 50.00 plus some MSP fee for a handgun 10.00 more I think.

Second, one of the dealers said that I would also have to pay for an "MD Required Intergrated Locking Device = $30.00 + tax" ! I told him it was a brand new in box Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44, and he said it didn't matter. Of course this is the first time I am ever hearing of this law so I contacted RUger and they sent me this link
    http://www.ruger.com/safety/storageLocking.html
    where is specifically states
    "The State of Maryland has mandated that all pistols and revolvers manufactured on or after January 1, 2003 must have an “integrated mechanical safety device” to be legally available for sale in Maryland. As a result, beginning in 2004, newly designed and manufactured Ruger pistols will be equipped with internal locks."

The dealer has not replied so far--so I think he was just trying to rip me off some more?:mad54:

Anyways, I would appreciate any help--thanks

Can't help you with a FFL in Harford county.

You will need to buy the safety device unless the pistol has one already. Many do not. I just acquired a Glock and had to buy the $20 version that the shop sold. The device is sized to the caliber of the handgun and can be reused with a future purchase of another handgun of the same caliber.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    As far as the lock goes they are correct. Some guns have an integral lock built in so they don't need the extra bore lock that you must buy. I believe Taurus revolvers have the built in lock, that's why they come with that little key. I didn't think Rugers have the built in lock, that's why you have to buy the bore lock.

As far as transfer price $50 is a little steep. Some places will do it for $20 plus the $10 for MSP bringing your total to $30 which is fair. "The Bank" gun and pawn in Havre de Grace gave me that transfer price recently on a gun purchased from Bud's Gun Shop online. Gun Connection in White Marsh also does $30 total transfers for members, but I don't think he will accept shipments from all online dealers because a lot of them mess stuff up that he doesn't want to get in legal trouble for or have to deal with. You have to make sure the gun is shipping with a fired shell casing also if it is a new gun.

Moving back to a state with reasonable laws might be a better option.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's entirely possible that the gun already has an internal lock. Some of them do and some of them don't, depending on production date.

If it's a new-new gun and not new-old stock gun, it most likely already has it.

A quick search elsewhere suggests that guns made after 2006 have the locking mechanism in place.

Never rely upon any safety mechanism or mechanical device to justify unsafe or careless
    handling of a firearm. When securing your revolver or to prevent unauthorized access,
    you should rely first and foremost on the key-operated locking device supplied with
    your revolver. (See Page 5.) However, for added security, and to comply with certain
    state and local laws, your NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK® revolver also is
    equipped with a manually operated internal lock. When actuated, this internal lock will
    secure the hammer in the uncocked or “full down” position.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It looks like the integral lock is hidden beneath the grip panels. Ask the seller to check.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Here is the list of approved locks, doesn't look like that lock you linked to is on it.

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/safety_devices.pdf

What is so foolish about the law is that once you leave the dealer, there is no requirement to keep the lock.

To the OP, I do think we hashed this out last year that the law does not require you to buy the lock from the dealer. If you can find one used, like on this forum, you can provide it. That is, if the gun doesn't come with an approved lock from the maker.

If the Ruger comes with a a lock, remind the dealer that MD uses Ruger's correct full name, Sturm Ruger on it's various lists, that MD does list the Ruger lock as approved.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    Thanks guys for all your help. After reading Ruger's website, it clearly states that all of their pistols now come with an internal lock after 2004 that meets Maryland's stupid requirement. And since this is a brand new pistol, it should be fine, and I will bring a copy of the webpage to the dealer so they can read it themselves. I do have to check to make sure it still has the fired case in it--the other one I bought out of state NIB had it so it should be there too. I will check out that pawn shop since it is a little closer to me than then Gun Connection. This state is getting as crazy as California!

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    We are in Baltimore County not far from Harford County. Our transfer is $30 plus the $10 to the state. Our locks are $18.95. That is just a little over what we pay for them to cover the shipping. We can do the fired casing if it is needed. That fee is $35 but most Rugers come with the casing. I have not seen the locks built into the the Blackhawks yet so I would lean towards buying one of them.

Our price on a super blackhawk in 7.5 bbl is $531.95. We have pretty good prices. Please compare our price to your internet price with fees added before you order. We may very well be cheaper. The only thing added to our gun price would be the lock, app fee and tax.

We would love to have you as a customer either way you decide to go. Check some of my customer comments under industry partners. We aren't in business to rip off our customers. We value them to much.

Bob Jr.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    This state is getting as crazy as California!

Not as bad. CA did away with all NFA toys, no mags over 10 rounds unless they were owned by you in the state before a certain date. Handgun makers must pay to keep guns on their approved list. You want an AR with a collapsible stock and a cool flash hider, legal in MD, totally illegal in CA. Yep it takes seven days for the paperwork, but once you know the rules, you laugh at them.

MD has the silly 1 regulated forearm in 30 days law, however search the forum and you will see that MD provides a legal way around it. "Designated Collector". Free, except the stamp and the time to get the form notarized.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    Feel free to send me any personal questions you may have including price quotes if you were looking for a different barrel length.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The only thing added to our gun price would be the lock, app fee and tax.

Bob Jr.

Bob, if it already has the Ruger integral lock approved by MSP, why would he need to purchase an additional one?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Looks like I posted a link to a non-approved lock.
    At first glance I thought it was an Omega lock.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    I saw this and read it straight from Ruger's website--it says "The State of Maryland has mandated that all pistols and revolvers manufactured on or after January 1, 2003 must have an “integrated mechanical safety device” to be legally available for sale in Maryland. As a result, beginning in 2004, newly designed and manufactured Ruger pistols will be equipped with internal locks." So this confirms it already meets Maryland's standard. I will just bring a copy to the dealer so they know ahead of time and it doesn't cause a hassle.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    If it has an integrated lock then of course he would not need to purchase one. That statement was meant towards a gun that comes in without one. I didn't mean it to sould like I sold them either way. I've just had more Ruger Revolvers without them with.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If it has an integrated lock then of course he would not need to purchase one. That statement was meant towards a gun that comes in without one. I didn't mean it to sould like I sold them either way. I've just had more Ruger Revolvers without them with.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom