• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Aztecs

Jun 11, 2011
    Any good places to shoot an air rifle near HoCo?

Recently bought my 10 yr old an air rifle, but am having trouble finding a place near Howard county to do some outdoors plinking. I thought Fort Meade might have something, but no-go... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    What You live in Howard County and You dare to buy a child a weapon as dangerous as an Air Rifle , Sounds like you need to be re-educated in how to bring up a CHILD.:sarcasm:

just my .02 great job!!! now have the post office help you call and order(free) some of the flat rate shipping boxes. they come folded flat in a larger box, I tape or staple the target to the outside and shoot away the boxes capture the pellets without any problem. Other than that enjoy it :D

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    My dad built a pellet trap for us when we were that age, the front was about 12" wide and about 20" tall. It sloped back at around a 45 degree angle and the inside back piece was covered in galvanized mending plates to deflect the pellets into the bottom of it that had an inch or two of sand. We would staple gun some cardboard over the opening and put up our targets. If you are interested, I can see if he still has the plans.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My dad built a pellet trap for us when we were that age, the front was about 12" wide and about 20" tall. It sloped back at around a 45 degree angle and the inside back piece was covered in galvanized mending plates to deflect the pellets into the bottom of it that had an inch or two of sand. We would staple gun some cardboard over the opening and put up our targets. If you are interested, I can see if he still has the plans.

Easy to build a pellet trap, and provided this thing isn't one of those 1000 fps .22 air rifles you can get away with 3/4" oak plywood sloped at a 45 degree angle, if you are really paranoid place a layer of sheet metal over it... The pellets will land harmlessly in the dirt below... you can even use a 4'x8' sheet if you want a huge backstop. Add a few 2x4's and you're done. The really paranoid will get a bunch of soil and layer it over the back of the backstop.

To be honest, I don't think that even the 1000 fps .22 air rifles will penetrate 3/4" oak ply at a 45 degree angle... I would be really surprised if that were the case.

Mark

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena

They sell these at WalMart now.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Basement/garage/backyard air rifle/pistol shooting works great. No drive time so no cost for gas and you can be ready to shoot in less than five minutes. I built a silent trap out of some wood scraps and about seven pounds of duct seal and use a clip board with the center cut out to hold the targets. Do a search and You can find lots of info on them.

Great way to practice and have fun.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    When i was a kid my father just fill a box with old sheets and we shot in the basement , in the back yard we had 2 hay bales stacked up.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    We have enough space outside to practice. Much depends on how your neighbors feel when seeing a air rifle being shot near their house.
    Sometimes a little PR work is needed to put them at ease about what your doing.
    I just have a 4'x4' peice of 3/4" plywood as a backstop.
    4-5 cardboard boxs bailed to the front of it. Targets stapled right to the cardboard. Or cans what not as targets set in front.:)

Ben

May 18, 2008
    Garrett County
    I've been looking for legal restrictions on air guns, here in the Nanny State, and haven't found any that would apply. Does that mean the only restrictions would be in municipal or county ordinances?

Jack Aztecs

Jun 11, 2011
    I've been looking for legal restrictions on air guns, here in the Nanny State, and haven't found any that would apply. Does that mean the only restrictions would be in municipal or county ordinances?
    Yes, and the local laws can be very restrictive. In many cases air rifles are treated the same as firearms.

Jack Aztecs

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice. For now I have staked out a spot in the basement that has about 15 meters of range (through the guest bedroom, but hey it works!). Guess I'll join a club that shoots at the range in Marriottsville - looks like there are several good choices...

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Thanks for all the great advice. For now I have staked out a spot in the basement that has about 15 meters of range (through the guest bedroom, but hey it works!). Guess I'll join a club that shoots at the range in Marriottsville - looks like there are several good choices...

15 meters is plenty! Air rifle competitions are normally at 10 meters....

Hay bales are 5 bucks each and 4 stacked in your backyard would give you a huge backdrop... I'd suggest trying to work out something in your yard-- who wants to get in a car and drive 30 minutes to shoot a bb gun??? you'll get more use if you can set it up at home, if land and neighbor proximity allow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom