• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I am considering another progressive press.Primarily for pistol (.45ACP. 38 Sp., and 9mm). Choice based on budget appear to be the Lee Pro 1000, the Lee Load Master, or maybe the Hornaday Lock-n-Load. I realize the Dillion presses are good, but a little pricey. Any comments would be appreciated, especially about what accessories would be needed.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Besides the dies, the quick detach die holder and brass holder plates. It only takes few minutes to switch to different caliber.

Punch_master

Dec 27, 2010
    Frederick
    You are free to buy anything you want but I advise you re-think your position on the Dillion. They are well worth the extra money they cost up front. I'll put my 550 up against any Progressive made by another company.

Did you know you can pull the die bodies on a dillon by just pulling a single pin so you can clean the inside of the die without losing it's adjustment? There are so many little extra features like that on a Dillon that nobody else offers.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The initial cost of a Dillon 550 will quickly fade away given their user friendly operation and performance and ability to load pistol and rifle cartridges.

Dillon's Customer Service, Technical Support and No BS Warranty.

If you want to save money on a Dillon, find a used one. Even if it is missing parts, paint or has the solid tool head like their earlier 450 press; buy it and send it back to Dillon and they will refurbish it for the usually the price of shipping and parts. They will also modify a 450 for the quick change toolheads for No Charge under their warranty. Sometimes, if you tell them a good story about how you rescued your Dillon, they might not even charge you for the parts or return shipping.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I have a Dillon XL650 and I can produce nearly 800 rounds per hour with it. The best thing about the DIllon presses is that their customer support is 10 stars on a scale of 5. EVERYONE who answers their phones SPEAKS ENGLISH and they all know their stuff. A few years ago I went to buy something that I did not need and the guy on the phone stopped me from wasting my money.

Their machines are top notch and easy to maintain and use. You can't go wrong with Dillon and remember this, NOBODY WAS EVER SORRY THEY BOUGHT THE BEST THERE IS.

dj_in_md

Aug 28, 2008
    Almost WV
    I have the lock n load and like it. With the bushings you can set your dies and never have to change them. Change over between calibers is quick. Their warranty is good.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I went the cheap route with the lee 1000. Works just fine for me and my sons. If I loaded multiple calibers in volume I would just pick up another 1000, they are that cheap. I load about 5k of 9mm a year so I'm not a high volume loader. I'm going on 4 years with no issues.

If I needed to load 1000's of rounds a month I would get the Dillion.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I appreciate the comments on the Dillon. I just call for parts on my SD Dillon and they were very responsive, no charge. The SD was about 20 years old and I was not a customer since 1994. It made me reconsider, despite the price. I may bite the bullet (LOL) and spring for the 550 Dillon. However, I do want to take a look at the Hornaday, as thier products have always been first rate.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    have the hornardy lnl. i like it (dont have others to compare).

+1

I've loaded thousands of rounds on mine (9mm & 45acp) and don't have a single complaint. Switching calibers is very quick and easy. It's a well made machine with an equal warranty to Dillon. I never hesitate to recommend them.

demmo

Apr 26, 2009
    +1 for the hornady lnl. I love mine. I load everything from 380 to 223 on mine.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Doug2255

Oct 20, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    I am another noob - only loaded on a Dillon 550 since December - about 7000+ rounds so far - all have been 9mm so far. Am switching to 45 this weekend.

Nothing good or bad to say about the others, but all good about the Dillon.

I too am close to you - you are more than welcome to check my 550 out in action! Just PM me if interested.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I have a Dillon 550B for rifle and a Super 1050 for pistol. I HIGHLY recommend Dillon due to the quality of the press and their killer customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom