Officers fire 33 shots at suicidal man (Frederick)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

randomjoe

Jan 16, 2009
    Colonel Mustard Here,

As any bit of research will show most shootings involving the average officer (not those that train day in and day out) accuracy drops significantly. Adrenaline, weather, nerves, fear, etc can all cause accuracy to drop. Add to this that maybe they were threat focused and had visual exclusion and had difficulty accessing their sights. It is easy to sit back and say "oh on the range I'd do this" when in fact so much more factors into a real shooting.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Colonel Mustard Here,

As any bit of research will show most shootings involving the average officer (not those that train day in and day out) accuracy drops significantly. Adrenaline, weather, nerves, fear, etc can all cause accuracy to drop. Add to this that maybe they were threat focused and had visual exclusion and had difficulty accessing their sights. It is easy to sit back and say "oh on the range I'd do this" when in fact so much more factors into a real shooting.

I doubt anyone would contest what you said. However, it begs the question: does this present a training gap that needs to be addressed, or should we be content and accept that this is as good as it gets?

randomjoe

Jan 16, 2009
    I would say it indicates a training gap. Qualifying on a one way range is just that, meeting a standard. It is hardly training. There needs to be ongoing training, and training under stress, perhaps on a three month cycle, i.e. January=winter qualification, February=skills day including movement drills, stress fire, etc, March= force on force with simunitions, April starts the cycle again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom