• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Not everyone eats what they kill, and thats ok. I am not a huge fan of venison myself but will eat it in jerky, chili, bbq, etc form.
    I like to trophy hunt. The deer I don't eat get donated to the state to provide meat to homeless shelters. There are a ton of butchers that are drop off processing stations. All the hunters have to do is pay an extra $1 with their license and drop off the fresh kill at the participating butcher.
    Deer are way over populated in MD and need to be thinned out. :)

:thumbsup: Couldnt agree more about donating the meat and dear needing to be thinned out.

slayr15

Avtomat Klashnikov Member
    it took me 3 seasons before i ever got to see a deer let alone shoot one. i am at the point in my life now where i have more fun hunting with friends and family and the harvesting dosen't matter as much . good luck and have fun and enjoy some tasty venison!

Attachments

• DCFC0135.JPG
      DCFC0135.JPG
      112.4 KB · Views: 283

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    it took me 3 seasons before i ever got to see a deer let alone shoot one. i am at the point in my life now where i have more fun hunting with friends and family and the harvesting dosen't matter as much . good luck and have fun and enjoy some tasty venison!

I have to consider my self extremely lucky. We have 50 acres outside of Aberdeen that is chocked full of deer. I can't remember the last time I went out and didn't at least see a deer. I shoot 2 each year, but could easily take 10. Also, as I hunt for meat, I rarely take bucks. Yet there is never a shortage of fawns each year. The only mount I have is an 8 pointer that my grandfather shot up in Nova Scotia back in the 1950's.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I have to consider my self extremely lucky. We have 50 acres outside of Aberdeen that is chocked full of deer. I can't remember the last time I went out and didn't at least see a deer. I shoot 2 each year, but could easily take 10. Also, as I hunt for meat, I rarely take bucks. Yet there is never a shortage of fawns each year. The only mount I have is an 8 pointer that my grandfather shot up in Nova Scotia back in the 1950's.

Ummm, if you need any "help" clearing out some of those deer please let me know :) :gun7:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    But it's very easy to pull the trigger, the hard part is gutting the animal afterwords. Make sure you either a)know what your going to do or b)have someone with you who does. No since ruining your first kill because you opened his guts all over the carcass.

This is probably the main reason I don't deer hunt. Geese and ducks are easy: just take them to the processing stand. $5 and an hour later, you have a plucked, gutted and packaged fowl. It looks like it came from the supermarket.

If deer where that easy, I'd be all over it.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Hunting is great! I find it more relaxing than anything. Nothing like walking out to my backyard woods (80 yards from my deck) and sit in my 15' tree stand and watch the woods come alive! I do mostly squirrel hunting than anything. Squirrel opens up on sept. 6th. Ive already got my mineral block out and putting out some feed nightly for my friendly deer and squirrels. We also havnt chopped our thorn bushes and other weeds along the driveway in over 2 years. We have atleast a dozen cottontails running around.

Picked up a nice .50 remington m700ml from a co worker for under a 100$ back in the spring. Cant wait for the early Black powder season either. Only hunting i dont really get into anymore is bow. Use to do a lot of it as a kid but just not my bowl of grits!

Ive seen a lots deer in the area this year. I guess do to a somewhat warm winter last year.

Travism30

Mar 31, 2007
    Its not so much saving money on meat but if we are in a situation were money cant buy meat. Hunting is awesome. one the challenege between the deer and i. you have to do so much to get the oppurtunity for a clean shot. scouting in the off-season, wind, moon, rut, scent, cover, noise shooting lane. all of these factors have to line up to get your clean shot.the other like mentioned before is being in the stand watching the wild life away from the troubles of every day life.

FloydofOz

Dec 29, 2007
    Rockville/DC
    SO I DID IT! I took that class (which felt like it would never end...) and just got my license and stamps! Thanks for all of your comments. I'm going to go for squirrel and (pending availability) a goose this weekend.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me towards a good area to hunt near me. I live in Rockville and am probably willing to drive about an hour. I've asked a few people over the phone at DNR. They've been helpful somewhat, but have basically just told me to go figure it out myself.

Also, if you're interested in having a novice along on a hunt, I think I could really benefit from going out with someone with experience. I know my way around the woods (Eagle Scout), have a .12 gauge and am in good physical condition. Please message me if you might be interested in doing that. Thanks!

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    SO I DID IT! I took that class (which felt like it would never end...) and just got my license and stamps! Thanks for all of your comments. I'm going to go for squirrel and (pending availability) a goose this weekend.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me towards a good area to hunt near me. I live in Rockville and am probably willing to drive about an hour. I've asked a few people over the phone at DNR. They've been helpful somewhat, but have basically just told me to go figure it out myself.

Also, if you're interested in having a novice along on a hunt, I think I could really benefit from going out with someone with experience. I know my way around the woods (Eagle Scout), have a .12 gauge and am in good physical condition. Please message me if you might be interested in doing that. Thanks!

I have a ****ing colony of squirrels in my back yard.. bring a .22 canned and you can hang out all day

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I went out hunting Monday morning, and I must agree with the original poster....hunting is awesome :) . My first official hunt ever. Saw 6 deer, including two nice 4-6 pointers, one in velvet. First one was just a few feet from a clean shot. I'll be back later this week for more action :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom