• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    I keep seeing all these complete parts kits for AKs w/o the receiver. Can some one educate me on where I buy them? how much they are? How does one go about getting them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You talk to a friendly dealer, aka FFL, and explain that you are looking for an AK receiver. You are 21 or older, right? The receiver will be transferred on the same regulated firearm paperwork as a handgun would be.

Nodak is the place to get a top notch receiver. You would have to check and see if the dealer you want to use for the transfer has a valid copy of their FFL on file with Nodak.

Some shops may have a receiver or two in stock.

You can also talk to Mike at Midcounty, an Industry Partner here, and see if he has any AK's for sale. http://mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120 He is a licensed manufacturer.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    http://www.nodakspud.com/

All questions can be answered here :)

This is actually a good answer because Nodak makes good stuff.

If you wanted something more accurate than nodak when it comes to country of origin you can also check out 2 rivers arms.

It's not a hard process though, buy your reicever, transfer, find a builder, build, done.

Or even easier buy your reicever, ship it to builder, have it built, do transfer, wait 7 days, enjoy your new gun.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Do a search on what it takes to build an AK in terms of equipment and knowledge before you get too excited about it. If you haven't already built an AR, start there first. Everything about it is much easier, especially the headspacing. Even an 80% AR receiver is way easier than an 80% AK receiver.

Unless you really want to invest in the knowledge and tools needed to build you own, it's worth paying someone else who already has both to build your kit up for you.

AK-Builder or the various AK forums are one of the last places to find headspaced barrel kits, it you are set on riveting your own. Romanian G kits can still be had for $250 or so. Start there, plus a built receiver, and you'll need a minimum of equipment and skill.

Maryland_DKB

Nov 9, 2011
    MoCo
    Thanks for all the advise. I have built a an AR in the past with out incident. So if I get a 100% receiver with a full parts kit...in most cases I should be ok? or is there something i should be watching out for?

Or is this all very complicated and I should just have some one else build it? How much does it cost to have some one build it...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Building an AR-15 requires way less in terms of skills and tooling than an AK. I would really recommend you do some more research, because I don't think you understand what you're getting into. The only time that the monetary aspect of AK building works out is if you're planning on building half a dozen or more rifles yourself.

You can get an AK built by a reputable builder for $300-$450 in labor. Personal opinion: unless you have a very unique/authentic build in mind, you are going to spend less by just buying an M+M M10, an FIME SGL, or possibly even an Arsenal SLR.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's not particularly complicated, just requires an investment in tooling and the time to understand how to do it right. The real catch is with each one you build you get a little better, by the time you've done two you will already want to demill your first and build start over. Smashing rivets is deceptively easy looking but it's very difficult to do right.

The hardest part is headspacing without drilling the barrel pin oversize. Which is why I highly recommend a headspaced kit with barrel vs a virgin barrel.

You'll need probably $300-350 in jigs and a shop press to build on a finished receiver and headspaced barrel. The price and time spent continues to go up the more unfinished the kit/receiver is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom