• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I'm looking for an accurate AK-74.

My next gun is going to be an AK-74. I have a couple of 7.62 X 39mm Romanian WASRs, and one of them is very inaccurate. Inaccurate as in I'm not even guaranteed to hit a man sized target at 100 meters from prone supported by sandbags. (I always shoot sharpshooter or expert with M16 or M4 in the Army so I'm not the problem and yes I've adjusted the sights). I also had a side mounted scope on it and that didn't improve the accuracy so the limiting factor must be the barrel.

I am infatuated with the "M10" AK-74 that has Picatinny rails all over it. However, that's also a Romanian AK so is it going to be any more accurate than the 7.62 AKM I already have?

Do the 5.45mm AKs tend to be any more accurate than the 7.62 X 39 ones?

Here's Atlantic Firearms AK-74 page. Any ones I should stay away from? I'd like to keep this below $1000 if possible.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ind...ategory&virtuemart_category_id=105&Itemid=763

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    5.45 is more accurate. The m10 with rails all over it might be OK, the rails are airsoft shit, and the optic rail may or may not be in the correct position from what other people have posted in reviews so I would look into that more if I were you. If you watch the ads on ar15.com you can find some nice deals on used 5.45 guns. I would go with a SGL31/SLR105 and check it for canted sights before you buy it if possible. On a side note now is not a good time to buy, prices are very inflated for what these guns are.

Hornady makes some accurate 5.45

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, in my experience 5.45 tends to group better than 7.62 out of most rifles. However all I've shot out of mine is cheap, corrosive 7N6 so I'm not sure how much of it is due to that particular ammo vs 5.45 being inherently more accurate. Ballistics are definitely better though (less bullet drop).

The M10 will suffer from a short sight radius, so if you shoot with irons I'd pass it over for one with full-length sights.

A Russian or Bulgarian made rifle would be my recommendation. Wait for a couple months and they will be widely available again.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    5.45 is more accurate. The m10 with rails all over it might be OK, the rails are airsoft shit, and the optic rail may or may not be in the correct position from what other people have posted in reviews so I would look into that more if I were you. If you watch the ads on ar15.com you can find some nice deals on used 5.45 guns. I would go with a SGL31/SLR105 and check it for canted sights before you buy it if possible. On a side note now is not a good time to buy, prices are very inflated for what these guns are.

Hornady makes some accurate 5.45
    Thanks! You're right about it not being a good time to buy. I bet everyone is in a post-election feeding frenzy.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Yes, in my experience 5.45 tends to group better than 7.62 out of most rifles. However all I've shot out of mine is cheap, corrosive 7N6 so I'm not sure how much of it is due to that particular ammo vs 5.45 being inherently more accurate. Ballistics are definitely better though (less bullet drop).

The M10 will suffer from a short sight radius, so if you shoot with irons I'd pass it over for one with full-length sights.

A Russian or Bulgarian made rifle would be my recommendation. Wait for a couple months and they will be widely available again.
    Does the 7N6 have a penetrator or is it just lead?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have one of the Interarms Tantals at the bottom of the page. Very nice gun, very well built for its price range. The left side thumb safety is nice (though it is easier to click to safe than to fire) The only problem I had with the gun was that the front sight had to be drifted almost all the way to the right to get it zeroed. I'm not the greatest bench shooter, but it seems at least as accurate as my SGL-21, and better than my M70 underfolder.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I have one of the Interarms Tantals at the bottom of the page. Very nice gun, very well built for its price range. The left side thumb safety is nice (though it is easier to click to safe than to fire) The only problem I had with the gun was that the front sight had to be drifted almost all the way to the right to get it zeroed. I'm not the greatest bench shooter, but it seems at least as accurate as my SGL-21, and better than my M70 underfolder.
    Is the Tantal the one where the bolt stays open after the last round in a magazine? That would be worth a lot.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    define "accurate". it means something different to everyone, really. are you looking for MOA out to 400 yards? cause you definitely aren't going to get it. 4 MOA is more like the average. possibly a bit better. possibly a bit...not. ;)

Is the Tantal the one where the bolt stays open after the last round in a magazine? That would be worth a lot.

no ak rifle has a bolt-hold-open feature. the saiga-12 shotgun has one on the gun; the only one related to rifles is found on *SOME* yugoslav magazines...and as soon as you pull the magazine out, guess what. bolt goes forward. M92 rifles have a notch in the selector to hold the bolt back, but it's *HIGHLY* unreliable. a slight jarring can cause it to release the bolt.

besides, if anything, the lack of a hold-open on the last round only helps you realize how badly you're anticipating recoil. not having one is a marksmanship improvement feature. :D

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    define "accurate". it means something different to everyone, really. are you looking for MOA out to 400 yards? cause you definitely aren't going to get it. 4 MOA is more like the average. possibly a bit better. possibly a bit...not. ;)

no ak rifle has a bolt-hold-open feature. the saiga-12 shotgun has one on the gun; the only one related to rifles is found on *SOME* yugoslav magazines...and as soon as you pull the magazine out, guess what. bolt goes forward. M92 rifles have a notch in the selector to hold the bolt back, but it's *HIGHLY* unreliable. a slight jarring can cause it to release the bolt.

besides, if anything, the lack of a hold-open on the last round only helps you realize how badly you're anticipating recoil. not having one is a marksmanship improvement feature. :D
    Accurate to me means that I can get a head shot at 100 meters, and hit a man at 250 meters.
    Both are easy to do with an M4 but only possible with my WASR-10 with a lot of luck. A three-shot group from my WASR-10 on a man-sized target at 100 meters looks like one in each shoulder and one in the belly button. I've tried different kinds of ammo and no improvement.

The "bolt hold open" AK I was thinking of is the Polish Beryl in 5.56mm NATO. It succeeded the Tantal 5.45mm when Poland joined NATO and does in fact have a bolt hold open device. Never say never. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84499

Last edited:

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    My Arsenal SGL31 is plenty accurate at 100yds. If you can find one,
    I'd suggest going with an Arsenal/FIME instead of an M10

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    To Ferret's point, I am guilty of using the term accurate when I mean precise. A tight shot group is precise, even if it doesn't hit the target. My WASR-10's 2 foot in diameter shot group at 100 meters is is accurate because it's center of mass coincides with the center of mass of the target. What I really want is a precise and accurate AK-74, not just accurate.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    My Arsenal SGL31 is plenty accurate at 100yds. If you can find one,
    I'd suggest going with an Arsenal/FIME instead of an M10
    Thanks, it sounds like the Arsenal SGL31 is the way to go! Plus it's just cool to have an AK made in the Izhmash factory where Mikhail Kalashnikov first made them.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Wait..... they are all overpriced now, no saiga, Vepr stright cuts are coming soon, IWI galil and more save your pennies and buy something when they come dont pay the crazy prices. I am waiting for CC bills to be due and going HAM lol

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Thanks, it sounds like the Arsenal SGL31 is the way to go! Plus it's just cool to have an AK made in the Izhmash factory where Mikhail Kalashnikov first made them.

I think you'll be happiest with this rifle. Much better build quality and more consistent amount rifles (not to say that you can't run into a bad batch of Arsenals, just never personally seen any).

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Wait..... they are all overpriced now, no saiga, Vepr stright cuts are coming soon, IWI galil and more save your pennies and buy something when they come dont pay the crazy prices. I am waiting for CC bills to be due and going HAM lol
    I hear that. When and why do you think the price will go down?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The M10 question is academic; there haven't been any 5.45x39 M10s available in months and months. It was an excellent option when it was around, given how much cheaper it was than an Arsenal. If you can find one, buy it and throw a TWS dog leg w/ peep sight on it.

As for the "great gun sell off", didn't see it in 2009, I don't expect to see it in 2013.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I feel the best value in a 74 is the Romanian CUR2 and Romak 2 rifles. Search for one of those on the secondary market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom