• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Email Responses - Lets see them

Just curious if we are all getting the same emails back or are they different.

So far I received one back from Senator Norman Stone, an auto reply from Dutch, and one actually addressed to me from O'Malley.

Anybody else get any?

Stone's
    Hi Nick, I don't think you have to worry about Senator Stone. Thank you for your email on this important issue. I will make sure that Senator Stone receives a copy & rest assured, he reads all his emails. JoAnne, Legislative Assistant

O'Malley
    Dear Mr. (Redneck):

Thank you for writing to Governor O'Malley with your concerns about gun safety following the tragic school shooting in Connecticut. The Governor has asked me to respond to you on his behalf.

Governor O'Malley joins the nation in mourning the loss of the young children in Newtown, Connecticut, and the adults who tried to protect them. He is committed to strengthening school security and to evaluating the need for new legislation to protect our most valuable resource – our children.

The Governor believes there is nothing more important in government than improving public safety. Working together with local, state and federal partners in law enforcement and community and neighborhood leaders across the State, the O'Malley Administration has driven down crime to its lowest levels since 1975. This success is the result of several public safety initiatives, including two firearm task forces that, since 2007, have been focused on reducing illegal gun use and possession in Baltimore and in the National Capital Regions.

Another program, the Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) was enacted in July 2007. VPI is a statewide approach that focuses in violent crime reduction through identifying and holding accountable the small group of adult and juvenile offenders under state supervision who are most likely to engage in violent crime.

Other O'Malley Administration public safety initiatives that have contributed to the statewide drop in violent crime include an enhancement on warrant service to swiftly remove the most violent offenders off the streets; DNA analysis to convict the guilty and exonerate the innocent; and Security Integration, which has significantly expanded information sharing to enable law enforcement to develop law enforcement strategies based on shared databases.

The Governor has made the issue of school safety a priority. In the coming weeks he will be leading efforts during the 2013 Maryland Legislative Session to find solutions to the complex and difficult issues involving school safety, gun control, and the access of unauthorized individuals to regulated firearms.

Sincerely,

Patty Mochel
    Communications Manager

Last edited:

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Stone's seems to be more likely it was hand written (however it's likely being copy/pasted with the amount of volume they are seeing). The O'Malley one surely is a form letter.

I am sending in physical letters registered mail.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have gotten no replies yet . It may have been too long of a read and I may have used too many big words and now they are cunfussed .

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    From Wade Kach

Thanks Wayne!

You're right though--we'll all need to be in peak shape for this Session. Hopefully, though, the passions will simmer as the weeks wear on. So much knee-jerk reaction. Every event has to involve calls that we "do something" without fully considering what that "something" will actually "do." Merry Christmas! Wade

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    From Wade Kach

Thanks Wayne!

You're right though--we'll all need to be in peak shape for this Session. Hopefully, though, the passions will simmer as the weeks wear on. So much knee-jerk reaction. Every event has to involve calls that we "do something" without fully considering what that "something" will actually "do." Merry Christmas! Wade

Looks like it was really him, thats good.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Dear Ms. <snip>

Thank you for your e-mail. Please know that I am a supporter of 2nd Amendment rights. Last year I introduced legislation addressing Marylanders' right to carry in conjunction with the concern over mental health issues and firearms. I am sure there will be many bills introduced during the upcoming session on both sides of the 2nd Amendment issue. Please consider testifying on any bills you feel strongly about.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further comments and questions.

Thank you,

Delegate Cathy Vitale
    Anne Arundel County, District 33A
    Lowe House Office Building
    6 Bladen Street, Room 154
    Annapolis, MD 21401
    O-410- 841-3510
    F -410- 841-3180

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate hearing from you, and I want you to know I received your email. If you have a scheduling request or need immediate assistance, please call my office at 410-841-3800.

As Speaker of the House, I often receive email from around the State encouraging me to support or oppose various proposals. I appreciate everyone who takes time to share their opinion. But I may not have the time to respond to every email since my priority is to my constituents in District 30.

If your email pertains to the status of a particular piece of legislation, I hope you will visit the General Assembly’s website at http://mlis.state.md.us. The site provides a wealth of useful information about the legislature, hearing schedules, briefings from the Department of Legislative Services, and bill information.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I appreciate your input.

Michael E. Busch, Speaker
    Maryland House of Delegates

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    My Dear Constituents,

I invite all of you: Harford County and Cecil County residents, to attend a town hall meeting from 1-2:30 p.m. on January 12th, 2013 at the Abingdon Library 2510 South Tollgate Road, Abingdon, MD 21009. State Delegate Mary Delany-James and State Senator Nancy Jacobs are also invited to be there.

I look forward to listening to all of you: Harford and Cecil County residents, about state issues that you feel need to be addressed.

For more information contact me at 410-841-3280 or 443-360-8607.

Your Delegate and Servant,

Glen Glass

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    One I liked...

<mikemcdermott4@gmail.com> wrote:

I am proposing legislation that would expand gun rights in our school districts. I look forward to enjoying your support for years to come.

Godspeed,
    Mike

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have gotten no replies yet . It may have been too long of a read and I may have used too many big words and now they are cunfussed .

LOL...

On the heels of mine, you may be right!!

I've posted several of the replies I've gotten in a few other threads, but to summarize from the GA...

I didn't bother to read the 5 or 6 autoresponders yet.
    I got one Snark-o-Gram from Turner, in PG
    I've had several very nice and positive exchanges with 4 or 5 other folks (most of them the EOs themselves)

No response from anyone in the Fed-world

No response from newspaper land

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    “Delegate Tiffany Alston is unavailable during a period of suspension from office. If you are emailing regarding a District 24 issue, please contact Delegate Carolyn Howard at carolyn.howard@house.state.md.us or Delegate Michael Vaughn at michael.vaughn@house.state.md.us. For any other issue, please contact the legislative information desk at (301) 970-5400 or libr@mlis.state.md.us. Thank you.”

"The Maryland state legislator ousted over a misconduct in office conviction will not get her seat back, and the former drug dealer nominated to replace her probably won’t get it, either." -Washington Post

Rob Banks

Sep 3, 2011
    Catonsville
    I wrote a brief and sincere email using the NRAs' email your reps page.
    I expected a form letter if I got anything. I did not expect this particular form letter that I received from E.E. Cummings.

"Thank you very much for your correspondence expressing support for stricter gun control laws in the wake of the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your views on this important matter and I join you in praying for the victims of this horrific incident and for their families and friends.

Please know that I support strong gun control legislation, including a renewal of the ban on the manufacture and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons.

Sadly, gun violence has become a constant in American life. Both urban and rural areas have experienced numerous tragedies. While increased education, incarceration of violent criminals, and improvements in public safety must be part of our effort to reduce gun violence, I believe that keeping guns out of the hands of criminals is essential to preventing gun violence. I have consistently supported bills that would provide key safety provisions, such as requiring 3 business days to complete background checks on weapons purchased at gun shows; requiring safety locks on or storage of all handguns; banning the importation of large ammunition clips; and increasing the minimum age for handgun purchases.

Please also know that I am an original co-sponsor of the Stop Gun Trafficking and Strengthen Law Enforcement Act of 2011, H.R. 2554, which would finally create a dedicated statute prohibiting gun trafficking. This critical legislation would give law enforcement a legal tool to prosecute firearms traffickers.

While I recognize the rights of law-abiding citizens, I believe it is my obligation to ensure that our nation's communities are safe from the threat of gun violence. For this reason, I will continue to fight for responsible and appropriate gun control legislation, including reinstatement of the assault weapons ban and provisions to limit those with criminal backgrounds or mental impairment from obtaining weapons.

Thank you again for your correspondence, and please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Elijah E. Cummings
    Member of Congress"

Mr H

Banana'd
    One I liked...

<mikemcdermott4@gmail.com> wrote:

I am proposing legislation that would expand gun rights in our school districts. I look forward to enjoying your support for years to come.

Godspeed,
    Mike

Nice one.

Cathy Vitale is one I've swapped several mails with so far, and she has taken the additional step of reaching out to other 'pro' delegates, and asked them to keep us up to date.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    From my other thread,

Dear metalman3006,

Thank you for contacting me about the recent Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut and your concern about the potential erosion of our 2nd Amendment rights. As an educator and father of five, two of whom are still in school, the horror that took place on the morning of Friday, December 14, 2012 is unfathomable. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the 27 victims and the Newtown community.

We all must work together to prevent these types of tragedies. I believe we have to start by addressing the culture of violence that has consumed our country. Our news media, movies, television shows, and video games display endless violent images that glorify and inspire this behavior. We have to stop sensationalizing these murderers. According to KidsHealth, the average child spends 28 hours a week watching television and it is estimated that by the time this child leaves elementary school, he or she will have witnessed 8,000 murders and over 100,000 other acts of violence (and this does not include violent video games). According to The Parents Television Council, by the time children reach the age of 18, they have seen more than 40,000 murders and 200,000 acts of violence. I believe this is a major contribution to the problem.

As a physician, I also feel mental health care reform needs to be a part of the discussion. It is important to remember that those with mental illnesses rarely commit acts of violence and this low incidence must be put into perspective. However, we need to make sure children and young adults with mental illness are diagnosed and have access to proper therapy in order to help them cope with their condition. Studies show that more than 10% of children in the United States may benefit from some sort of mental health treatment, but most do not receive help. There is a shortage of resources and services available to serve those that need mental health care support. Furthermore, where these resources exist, their implementation could be improved and used more effectively.

Like you, I agree that we must enforce to the fullest extent possible our current gun control laws that protect people from danger, like preventing gun ownership by criminals or those suffering from a severe psychological disorder that could result in a violent act. Currently, over 4,450 crimes related to guns exist on the federal law books, and tens of thousands have been proposed in the Federal Register. According to the Brady Campaign, Connecticut has the 5th toughest gun laws in the country including an assault weapons ban. Norway, a nation with some of the toughest gun laws in the world, not too long ago had to deal with a mass murderer killing over 80 people, most of whom were children. Illegal use of a firearm, as was the case with the Sandy Hook shooter, should always be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

I believe that by addressing our country's increasingly worrisome culture of violence, and implementing strategies to generally improve our mental health system, we can lessen the occurrence of these tragedies by targeting the root causes of mass murders. I am grateful for your comments, and you may rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as legislation on this issue is discussed. I hope that you will feel free to contact me on any issue of importance to you or your family in the future.

Sincerely,

Andy Harris, M.D.
    Member of Congress
    harris.house.gov

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    LOL...

On the heels of mine, you may be right!!

I've posted several of the replies I've gotten in a few other threads, but to summarize from the GA...

I didn't bother to read the 5 or 6 autoresponders yet.
    I got one Snark-o-Gram from Turner, in PG
    I've had several very nice and positive exchanges with 4 or 5 other folks (most of them the EOs themselves)

No response from anyone in the Fed-world

No response from newspaper land

That was the reason I thought one thread about this might work. There are a ton of threads on the subject and its a lot to go through.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I wrote a brief and sincere email using the NRAs' email your reps page.
    I expected a form letter if I got anything. I did not expect this particular form letter that I received from E.E. Cummings.

"Thank you very much for your correspondence expressing support for stricter gun control laws in the wake of the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your views on this important matter and I join you in praying for the victims of this horrific incident and for their families and friends.

Please know that I support strong gun control legislation, including a renewal of the ban on the manufacture and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons.

Sadly, gun violence has become a constant in American life. Both urban and rural areas have experienced numerous tragedies. While increased education, incarceration of violent criminals, and improvements in public safety must be part of our effort to reduce gun violence, I believe that keeping guns out of the hands of criminals is essential to preventing gun violence. I have consistently supported bills that would provide key safety provisions, such as requiring 3 business days to complete background checks on weapons purchased at gun shows; requiring safety locks on or storage of all handguns; banning the importation of large ammunition clips; and increasing the minimum age for handgun purchases.

Please also know that I am an original co-sponsor of the Stop Gun Trafficking and Strengthen Law Enforcement Act of 2011, H.R. 2554, which would finally create a dedicated statute prohibiting gun trafficking. This critical legislation would give law enforcement a legal tool to prosecute firearms traffickers.

While I recognize the rights of law-abiding citizens, I believe it is my obligation to ensure that our nation's communities are safe from the threat of gun violence. For this reason, I will continue to fight for responsible and appropriate gun control legislation, including reinstatement of the assault weapons ban and provisions to limit those with criminal backgrounds or mental impairment from obtaining weapons.

Thank you again for your correspondence, and please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Elijah E. Cummings
    Member of Congress"

I got the same reply, I think any communications he gets are going to be counted as pro gun control, no matter what you actually say to him.:sad20:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    My Dear Constituents,

I invite all of you: Harford County and Cecil County residents, to attend a town hall meeting from 1-2:30 p.m. on January 12th, 2013 at the Abingdon Library 2510 South Tollgate Road, Abingdon, MD 21009. State Delegate Mary Delany-James and State Senator Nancy Jacobs are also invited to be there.

I look forward to listening to all of you: Harford and Cecil County residents, about state issues that you feel need to be addressed.

For more information contact me at 410-841-3280 or 443-360-8607.

Your Delegate and Servant,

Glen Glass

Thanks for posting this. I would like to attend.

Ryan

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Sent the following to all MD legislators, both U.S. Senators, and the Governor:

(Proper title and name)

"The link is to what appears to be a fact based, rather than an emotion
    based, article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...185271857424036.html?mod=djemEditorialPage_hI

I hope you will support the Constitution, many statements in the press seem
    to be based on an understandable, emotional reaction to a terrible tragedy."

(my name)

The above link is to the Wall Street Journal article of 12-17-2012 by David Kopel.

Received the same reply from Congressman Harris. In the context of Sandy Hook --- his mention of the Norway, ... "some of the toughest gun laws in the world," ... " killing [of] over 80 people, most of whom were children," ... brings a much needed perspective to the debate.

The shameless efforts of those using these circumstances, to advance personal agendas, are disgraceful. Facts, although changing no minds, may tend to dampen fervor.

Regards
    Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom