• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    MS,

Yes, I searched around the forums here for an answer, but could not find one...if a MD resident owns a regulated firearm registered with MSP, and decides to sell it OUTSIDE of MD, say a fun show in PA or VA, where a similar firearm is NOT regulated ( talking long guns here, of course), would that person need any paperwork done? Again, FTF/no paperwork PRIVATE sales of long guns ( and frankly, handguns as well, if any of you has ever been to a gun show outside of MD!) are ok in VA and PA. MSP would have no say on that transaction, correct?

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    sales between residents of different states must go through a FFL. Besides that little detail, sale away.

Good Luck

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Since the transfer would occur between residents of different states, a FFL needs to be involved. There would be no problem selling it to a licensed dealer (or c&r if applicable) If you wanted to sell it to a private individual, you'd have to have a FFL transfer it. The dealer would run a background check and the person you are selling it for should be able to take possession of it immediately. The dealer typically would charge for this. You might also have to pay for the background check.

Edit
    "regulated" firearms are a Maryland invention, the other surrounding states do not treat them the same way we do. After the fact I guess you could call the state police firearms section and let them know you legally sold there registered gun out of state. Ask them to update their records to reflect that you no longer own the firearm. I'd be really interested in seeing what the do.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    But, aren't sales of LONG GUNS to residents of adyacent states allowed Cash and carry? A MD resident can purchase an unregulated long gun in PA or VA from a dealer or a private sale cash and carry legally, correct? Why should it be diferent for me to sell my regulated LONG gun ( not handgun, which HAVE to go through a FFL to sell out of state) where it is perfectly legal to do so?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    But, aren't sales of LONG GUNS to residents of adyacent states allowed Cash and carry? A MD resident can purchase an unregulated long gun in PA or VA from a dealer or a private sale cash and carry legally, correct? Why should it be diferent for me to sell my regulated LONG gun ( not handgun, which HAVE to go through a FFL to sell out of state) where it is perfectly legal to do so?

You are legal because you bought from a FFL in another state.

If purchased FTF between 2 people who are not a resident of the same state would be a violation of federal law.

In order to sale to a resident of another state besides the state of your residence, the transaction must go though a FFL.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You are legal because you bought from a FFL in another state.

If purchased FTF between 2 people who are not a resident of the same state would be a violation of federal law.

In order to sale to a resident of another state besides the state of your residence, the transaction must go though a FFL.

what he said...

does the girl on the avatar comes with the gun? :innocent0

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    But, aren't sales of LONG GUNS to residents of adyacent states allowed Cash and carry?

NO!

A MD resident can purchase an unregulated long gun in PA or VA from a dealer or a private sale cash and carry legally, correct?
    From a dealer, Yes. From a person, No.

Why should it be diferent for me to sell my regulated LONG gun ( not handgun, which HAVE to go through a FFL to sell out of state) where it is perfectly legal to do so?

You'll have to go through a FFl

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It is a federal felony to sell any type of firearm face to face across state lines.

You MUST use an licensed dealer in the buyer's home state or you will be committing a felony.

A licensed dealer may sell non-regulated firearms to MD residents, but a private citizen must go through a dealer or it is a federal felony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom