• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    All,

Been a MD Shooters member for a while but been quiet but coming up for air with events over the past two weeks. Especially supposed proposals upcoming that would truly ban AR-15s, AK pattern rifles and anything else black and scary, limit magazines downward to half of the current limit and ban possession of said rifles within the state.

I will be in Annapolis to protest and testify against such overreach since I am local down the road in Edgewater.

What I can't figure out is the rationale except for two possible reasons:

1) To be seen "doing something".
    2) To finally get back in a purely punitive fashion against pesky gun owners in Maryland.

The problem is, how would a possession ban be legal? Doesn't that fall under "ex post facto"?

On #2, I make that argument on the following basis:

1) "Assault weapons" are already highly regulated in Maryland.

2) There is a mandatory registration for all "assault weapons" already in this state. Owners are registered with the Maryland State Police as part of that process.

3) There is already an 8 day waiting period for purchase of any "assault weapon" in this state performed by the State Police.

4) There is mandatory safety training required before the transfer of any "assault weapon" to any Maryland resident.

5) There is already a "high capacity magazine" ban in place that is limited to 20 rounds or less, passed in part due to the "dangers" of greater capacity.

6) There is already an "assault pistol" ban in place in Maryland.

7) A mental health background check is performed as part of the background check as part of the process to be "not disapproved" for the ownership of an "assault weapon".

8) The Judiciary Committee cannot demonstrate in the state of Maryland in the past years where these firearms have been used predominantly in any Maryland mass shootings or crimes. Even the Maryland State Police has testified this hasn't been the case.

Adding guns to regulated list is one thing. Shrinking magazine capacity to 10 and grandfathering in the existing possession under a rework of the existing law by changing "20" to "10" would be seen as worthless, punitive, frustrating but ultimately status quo. We'll just buy 20 rounders in Virginia like we do 30s and life goes on.

But a possession ban? How many felons in Maryland would that create? And to what end? Because they could. Do these politicians in Annapolis have no respect at all for the rights of peaceful citizens in this state and feel perfectly justified in running roughshod over them, their individual rights and their property rights because they engage in an activity they find distasteful but perfectly legal? Where does it stop? What more do they want?!?

I'm angry. At the utter lack of respect these people have for those who elect them. They are supposed to represent. Not enact their preferred policy choices and biases. And we've seen in hearing after hearing where those who don't like gun owners just get up and walk out.

For the first time, I truly fear for what lies at the other end of this process should they succeed this time. I think they may push to pass such things in the House "just because" and to hell with the thousands of us that would show up. We're just residents and constituents, nobody important and it doesn't appear to matter anyway. They just keep getting re-elected.

If it does happen, what do we do then? Do we meekly turn our guns in to the state or move them out of state? Continue to be grateful they might let us keep a Garand and a 8 round enbloc? Or become potential criminals or forced to make a choice on keeping our valuable property, which represents hours of our lives we don't get back? All at the say-so of a bunch of suits in Annapolis who have no respect at all for anyone who lives here.

I need to get this out here. I need to know there are others like me. I am trying to channel my anger, my rage, at how a monster in a senseless event is being used for a naked power grab the likes of which I think none of us has ever seen.

Matt
    Edgewater, MD

DSC729

Aug 18, 2012
    Mo County
    Im as angry at this situation as much as you are my friend, common sense is a thing of the past it seems.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Not ex post facto. It wouldn't be illegal to have a scary black gun today. But it would be illegal post ban (absent some grandfathering scheme). Or they may have some pittance tossed in your direction so that they can claim eminent domain.

You have already been deemed to be insane by a MD attorney, so any claims otherwise must be false:

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    why does it always come back to "assault weapons"?

Every time I write to my reps about concealed carry in MD, they tell me it's ridiculous to want to "carry around assault weapons"

Dear Mr. Ost, thank you for your email regarding the right to carry a gun. I respect your second Amendment rights and will do all I can to protect them while upholding my duty to protect public safety with careful oversight of who can walk around with assault weapons. I appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with me.

Regards,

Jim Robey

James N. Robey
    Senator, District 13

Assistant Deputy Majority Leader

The Senate of Maryland

11 Bladen Street, Room 120

Annapolis MD 21401

Phone: 410-841-3572
    Fax: 410-841-3455
    E-mail: James.Robey@senate.state.md.us

Web: mlis.state.md.us

Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 8:53 PM
    To: Robey, James Senator
    Subject: no new gun control

Frankly, I just want to be heard on this subject. MD is already one of the most repressive states in the union when it comes to private firearms ownership, but that has not stopped the great majority of us from exercising our right to keep and bear arms. Let me just say that I am a democrat by vote and ideology, but I think that the second amendment should not be infringed. I speak for a great great many of my friends, relatives, acquaintances, and others that it is not the wish of the people at large for more and restrictive gun laws to be put into place. In the past people have misread public opinion because those with an axe to grind generally have the loudest voices, but when it comes down to votes, we, just like they, only get one apiece, and we outnumber them by a large margin. Supporters of the last assault weapons ban were almost all voted out of office in short order for making the mistake of pandering to the loud voices without really looking at how the land lays. Don't make that mistake. We're democrats here, and we're tired of being pigeonholed into a certain group for not wanting to give up our guns. You can continue to have our support, if you will just avoid new and stringent laws limiting our ability as lawful citizens to buy and keep arms.

I'm not a dem, BTW, I just thought they'd take me more serious if I said that

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    To the anti-gun domestic enemies all modern guns are "assault weapons".
    They have no respect for me and my rights so I will have no respect for them and their possible new gun grabs
    If they want to make me into a new felon simply for not cooperating so be it.
    It's not my fault homicidal nutcases like to kill people in gun-free zones.
    I will not be blamed, I will not be punished, and I will not cooperate with any illegal new gun bans or gun control laws.
    It's really that simple.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Jim Robey is in the top three most liberal members of the Maryland Senate. I am betting that most of the people subordinate to him during his LEO days don't agree with his gun grabber point of view.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Good thing VA is just a little south, was thinking of moving there, now I'm going to actively look for a new home. Voting at the booth has failed, so I'll just vote with my damn feet.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The only thing I would be wary about is a "yearly tax" own. They know how many regulated firearms we have bought and transferred in state. they can make it cost prohibitive to own many. As for the mags it will be business as usually they will lower the capacity but make it illegal to transfer, buy, manufacture and maybe throw in bring into the state. But we will continue to get them because unless they plan to go door to door and count they don't know. Whatever they pass will have to pass Constitutional muster, so they could pass a law tomorrow but it will get challenged.

777en

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2012
    Not ex post facto. It wouldn't be illegal to have a scary black gun today. But it would be illegal post ban (absent some grandfathering scheme). Or they may have some pittance tossed in your direction so that they can claim eminent domain.

You have already been deemed to be insane by a MD attorney, so any claims otherwise must be false:

Is the lady in the Frosh video Dr. Susan Gratia? A survivor of the Luby' Massacre in Texas. If so, we need her outspoken support.

777en

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2012
    I think the best point made by the OP is that new felons would be instantly created by the swipe of a pen from a constitutionally protected activity. How wrong is that picture?

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    If what we did was (cool, something that Hollywood could get behind) we would never need to worry. But this is now the cool cause so we better rally the troops because if we don't, I believe that with who is in office and where we live we could be in a world of hurt like we have never known.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    All,

Been a MD Shooters member for a while but been quiet but coming up for air with events over the past two weeks. Especially supposed proposals upcoming that would truly ban AR-15s, AK pattern rifles and anything else black and scary, limit magazines downward to half of the current limit and ban possession of said rifles within the state.

I will be in Annapolis to protest and testify against such overreach since I am local down the road in Edgewater.

2) To finally get back in a purely punitive fashion against pesky gun owners in Maryland.

The problem is, how would a possession ban be legal? Doesn't that fall under "ex post facto"?

2) There is a mandatory registration for all "assault weapons" already in this state. Owners are registered with the Maryland State Police as part of that process.

3) There is already an 8 day waiting period for purchase of any "assault weapon" in this state performed by the State Police.

4) There is mandatory safety training required before the transfer of any "assault weapon" to any Maryland resident.

5) There is already a "high capacity magazine" ban in place that is limited to 20 rounds or less, passed in part due to the "dangers" of greater capacity.

7) A mental health background check is performed as part of the background check as part of the process to be "not disapproved" for the ownership of an "assault weapon".

8) The Judiciary Committee cannot demonstrate in the state of Maryland in the past years where these firearms have been used predominantly in any Maryland mass shootings or crimes. Even the Maryland State Police has testified this hasn't been the case.

Adding guns to regulated list is one thing. Shrinking magazine capacity to 10 and grandfathering in the existing possession under a rework of the existing law by changing "20" to "10" would be seen as worthless, punitive, frustrating but ultimately status quo. We'll just buy 20 rounders in Virginia like we do 30s and life goes on.

But a possession ban? How many felons in Maryland would that create? And to what end? Because they could. Do these politicians in Annapolis have no respect at all for the rights of peaceful citizens in this state and feel perfectly justified in running roughshod over them, their individual rights and their property rights because they engage in an activity they find distasteful but perfectly legal? Where does it stop? What more do they want?!?

I'm angry. At the utter lack of respect these people have for those who elect them. They are supposed to represent. Not enact their preferred policy choices and biases. And we've seen in hearing after hearing where those who don't like gun owners just get up and walk out.

For the first time, I truly fear for what lies at the other end of this process should they succeed this time. I think they may push to pass such things in the House "just because" and to hell with the thousands of us that would show up. We're just residents and constituents, nobody important and it doesn't appear to matter anyway. They just keep getting re-elected.

If it does happen, what do we do then? Do we meekly turn our guns in to the state or move them out of state? Continue to be grateful they might let us keep a Garand and a 8 round enbloc? Or become potential criminals or forced to make a choice on keeping our valuable property, which represents hours of our lives we don't get back? All at the say-so of a bunch of suits in Annapolis who have no respect at all for anyone who lives here.

I need to get this out here. I need to know there are others like me. I am trying to channel my anger, my rage, at how a monster in a senseless event is being used for a naked power grab the likes of which I think none of us has ever seen.

Matt
    Edgewater, MD

What language is being proposed? That would be an immediate goal to acquire. Your arguments are legally solid. Yet restrictive gun laws like the Sullivan Act, which do require an annual tax on firearms in Manhattan, will probably pass Constitutional scrutiny as a reasonable restriction. So this is all very complex and Md is not Texas or even Va. It is a largely urban state, Solid Democrat and a tad left...

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    All,

Matt
    Edgewater, MD

... and that my friend is the framework for the "How to disarm" for Dummies book, slow and steady ...

I'm with you, and will also be in Annapolis, this is going to be a very hard battle with the odds WAY in "their" favor.. I guess it's bussness as uasual for MD gun owners. :innocent0

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think many have the same thoughts and questions as you, Matt. I do. From what I gather (from posts here and elswehere), many of our elected reps here in MD have been very busy over the holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom