• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SUMB44

Jul 23, 2020
    Southern Maryland
    Are pistol caliber carbines classified as rifles or pistols for purchase purposes, are they subject to HQL requirements? Specifically the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm, pistol grip, model 19124.

Follow-up question:

With regards to rifle magazine capacity, there is this: "Magazine capacity restriction? Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state."

Q: Are online purchases shipped to an FFL considered "Out of state purchases"?

Thank You!!!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    As of right now...at least until the coming session of the MGA...pistol caliber carbines are cash and carry in MD. They're simply a long gun.

Question 2...magazines can be sent to a FFL holder but can only be transferred to law enforcement officers...not civilians. The only exemption I'm aware of is the FFL can block the magazines to a max of ten rounds and transfer them.

Go buy your mags in PA, DE, VA or WV or If you know someone living in those states send them the money and have them place an order for you and then go pick them up. I've done both, neither is illegal. Like most everything else gun related most mags are in short supply right now. Cabelas in DE only had a few...Greentop in Ashland Va had a good selection last week when I was there.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What Bob said^^^

That model is a rifle and can be transferred on the spot by an FFL with only the ATF form 4473 and a NICS check required.

As for the magazines, check with your FFL before you order it. Some will pin the magazines to 10rds to make them legal, others will refuse to give them to you at all. You can purchase higher capacity magazines legally in other states and legally possess them in Maryland. So a trip to a PA or VA gun show may serve you well.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The Ruger PCC model noted (19124) is considered a long gun and is cash and carry. The PCC charger model is considered a pistol.

As for question #2, if the the transfer is occurring at your local FFL (in Maryland), it is subject to the 10rd restriction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom