• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    According to this chart, if he's 3 now, he'll pick up about 12% antler growth for next year. He's probably a 120 now, which means he'd be about a 135 next year. I'm not sure that's worth waiting for.

Of course, the chart could be wrong :shrug:

Attachments

• Predicting_Antler_Potential.jpg
      Predicting_Antler_Potential.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 470

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    According to this chart, if he's 3 now, he'll pick up about 12% antler growth for next year. He's probably a 120 now, which means he'd be about a 135 next year. I'm not sure that's worth waiting for.

Of course, the chart could be wrong :shrug:
    It's an average. There are under achievers and there are over achievers. Both fit into this chart.

My thinking is this guy is an under achiever. If he's 3, average around where I hunt is 125"- 135" for a 3 YO. Your guy looks to be in the low 100"s. He could blow up into something next year. Maybe he had a bad year, nutrition wise. Who really knows?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Shoot him, he won't turn in to much. Nutrition doesn't play as big of a part in antler growth as genetics does.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Went out last night hoping he'd double up on evening snacks, but all I saw was the resident young doe that was too stupid to run away while I climbed out of my stand. She literally watched me from top to bottom :D

If I get the chance, I'll take a swing at him.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    [/B]
    Wrong
    I do agree with "shoot him". Plenty of meat on him.

Right and wrong, but if you start out inferior no diet will make the deer into a trophy buck. Conclusion 3. and 6. is what I was referring to.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0155.pdf

CONCLUSIONS
    Body weight and antler characteristics (main beam spread and lengths, basal circumference, total antler points, and weight) in white-tailed deer respond in direct proportions to the quality of their diet.
    Antler characteristics and body weight of white-tailed deer are heritable characters and influenced by both genetics and nutrition.
    Yearling white-tailed deer with spike antlers are inferior to fork-antlered yearlings with regard to body weight and antler characteristics and will remain so in succeeding years.
    There is a positive correlation between body weight and total antler points in yearling deer.
    Spike-antlered deer should not receive differential protection.
    Most deer which are spike-antlered as yearlings will not be spike-antlered in later years, but will continue to be inferior to their fork-antlered cohorts.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Right and wrong, but if you start out inferior no diet will make the deer into a trophy buck. Conclusion 3. and 6. is what I was referring to.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0155.pdf

CONCLUSIONS
    Body weight and antler characteristics (main beam spread and lengths, basal circumference, total antler points, and weight) in white-tailed deer respond in direct proportions to the quality of their diet.
    Antler characteristics and body weight of white-tailed deer are heritable characters and influenced by both genetics and nutrition.
    Yearling white-tailed deer with spike antlers are inferior to fork-antlered yearlings with regard to body weight and antler characteristics and will remain so in succeeding years.
    There is a positive correlation between body weight and total antler points in yearling deer.
    Spike-antlered deer should not receive differential protection.
    Most deer which are spike-antlered as yearlings will not be spike-antlered in later years, but will continue to be inferior to their fork-antlered cohorts.

I'm glad you went there(Texas). I almost wrote "Texas wildlife managers would disagree..."
    One more thing to add, 2/3 of a whitetail's genetics are from the mother.
    Okay, two things- 1/3 of multiple offspring from a doe will have different fathers.
    And you weren't flat out wrong. Genetics play a bigger part in a buck's antler characteristics, but poor nutrition can have a marked effect on same, from one year to the next.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'm glad you went there(Texas). I almost wrote "Texas wildlife managers would disagree..."
    One more thing to add, 2/3 of a whitetail's genetics are from the mother.
    Okay, two things- 1/3 of multiple offspring from a doe will have different fathers.
    And you weren't flat out wrong. Genetics play a bigger part in a buck's antler characteristics, but poor nutrition can have a marked effect on same, from one year to the next.

Not totally wrong but not 100% right. I said that genetics plays a larger role than nutrition, which is what you just reiterated. So was I wrong?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Tell him what his tax burden is and that he likely won't get social security.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shoot him, he won't turn in to much. Nutrition doesn't play as big of a part in antler growth as genetics does.

Not totally wrong but not 100% right. I said that genetics plays a larger role than nutrition, which is what you just reiterated. So was I wrong?

Here's what you said.
    I suppose it depends on what 'big' means to you.
    It all depends on one's point of view.
    If you are a Texas outfitter and you promise deer of a certain caliber on your lease, and two or three years of drought have stunted your herd, you might consider it a big deal.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Here's what you said.
    I suppose it depends on what 'big' means to you.
    It all depends on one's point of view.
    If you are a Texas outfitter and you promise deer of a certain caliber on your lease, and two or three years of drought have stunted your herd, you might consider it a big deal.

I don't even know what you are talking about. This is not subjective and my first post was correct. I never said big. I said "diet does not play as big of a part as genetics (in growth antlers/body mass)" and I am right. I don't care about outfitters, its a fact, and the paper I cited proved that. You're wrong, let it go.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just got a shadowy trial cam pic taken a few moments ago of one with possible poor dietary habits. Also a propensity for standing broad side in an area with a lack of cover in an upwind environment.

I figure 3 1/2 -4+ yrs old.

Hope somebody flattens him soon or I'm going to give a try myself. They're starting to move pretty good it seems.

11-2-2020.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just got a shadowy trial cam pic taken a few moments ago of one with possible poor dietary habits. Also a propensity for standing broad side in an area with a lack of cover in an upwind environment.

I figure 3 1/2 -4+ yrs old.

Hope somebody flattens him soon or I'm going to give a try myself. They're starting to move pretty good it seems.

View attachment 298046

DoCo, he looks pretty mature to me. Good size brisket on him, from what I can make out. :thumbsup:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I did some comms with a nice man I just met from the western shore couple months ago who has an early teen son. The old man is medically retired PD and asked me of I could put the young-in on a good deer for youth day.
    So that's what were going to do.
    I might have to get one of my youngins to walk him in there and sit with him to see if they can grass him.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I was going out of town for the weekend, and thought about hitting the stand for a little bit Friday morning before i left. I had too much to do, so I didn't. Of course he shows up again! He knows when I'm not there....

Attachments

• WGI_0350s.jpg
      WGI_0350s.jpg
      109 KB · Views: 231
    • WGI_0351s.jpg
      WGI_0351s.jpg
      110.7 KB · Views: 228

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    However old he is, it will never be more than Today years old. Details to follow when I can upload decent pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom