Anyone else having trouble "pulling the trigger" on a new purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    With all of this shortage in ammo, I've been having a hard time "pulling the trigger" on the purchase of a new firearm. I typically buy ammo on line and all the places I shop are sold out. Without the ability to get ammo, a new firearm purchase doesn't seem to make sense. I don't hang out out a LGS's, but perhaps I should as I've heard some of them have ammo in stock (on occasion). Anyone else resisting a new purchase because they can't get ammo for it?

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    With all of this shortage in ammo, I've been having a hard time "pulling the trigger" on the purchase of a new firearm. I typically buy ammo on line and all the places I shop are sold out. Without the ability to get ammo, a new firearm purchase doesn't seem to make sense. I don't hang out out a LGS's, but perhaps I should as I've heard some of them have ammo in stock (on occasion). Anyone else resisting a new purchase because they can't get ammo for it?

Nope, just purchased a new Glock 26 and built an 80% Glock.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It's good for me.
    Saving some money. I haven't had a huge interest in anything for a while now.
    Only short list items would be 44 mag Super Blackhawk and coach gun. I can wait it out.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I would have more of a problem buying a new firearm whose caliber I don't already have stockpiled.

Actually, that’s the exact situation in which I find myself. Obviously, it wouldn’t stop any of us from buying if we already had that caliber ammunition on hand. So my question was more about hesitating buying a firearm of a new caliber...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1978Datsun

Dec 15, 2020
    Carroll County, MD
    Actually, that’s the exact situation in which I find myself. Obviously, it wouldn’t stop any of us from buying if we already had that caliber ammunition on hand. So my question was more about hesitating buying a firearm of a new caliber...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point of view is that I already have all of the firearms that I "need", anything at this point is just wants and extras if I am being honest. Ammunition will be available at a reasonable price again and I'm willing to buy a firearm I don't have ammunition for and wait until things are "normal" to stock up on that new caliber.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I would have more of a problem buying a new firearm whose caliber I don't already have stockpiled.

I am on the other side of the distribution. Next acquisitions are likely to be a 10mm 1911 and a .338 wm bolt gun, neither of which caliber is in the existing stockpile. Less worried about finding the .338 ammo than the 10mm.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Nope, i buy a firearm every few months

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I am gonna get a new safe before I get another gun, unless a guide gun or a coach gun or .45 suppressor host jump out in front of me, because I am outta room

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Take it for what it’s worth as I started the year with only a couple ancient .22s and my dad’s pos 20-gauge, but have added a handgun and now an AR15 in 5.56. I have a growing wish list that includes a decent 12 gauge and a nice 1911 .45. Realizing full well that my expenses will go up as I have to feed these things. At least as I add to the collection I don’t need as much of any single caliber to enjoy range time, training or competition. Over the summer and fall virtually all my shooting was 9mm and now I’m able to diversify my ammo. Have gotten back into shooting my old Lakefield 64 and my wallet is pleased as long as I can acquire more 22lr. It’s looking to me like ammo availability and prices have at least peaked and leveled off a bit, but we’ll see what happens with the senate.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I hadn’t, until now. About 2 months ago I bought a new Savage long range rifle in 300 PRC, a pretty new and uncommon specialty caliber (also pretty $$$). For two months there still is zero 300 PRC ammo anywhere in the country, I totally get the run on 9mm and 5.56 NATO, but who bought all the 300 PRC? Now I will pay more attention to this before buying any other firearms. If I don’t already have ammo, I won’t buy it until things get back to normal.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    No - I am getting what I can before Kamal and her puppet say I can't

Yeah I can’t say there was much involved for me beyond a strong gut feeling, but a couple months back a voice in my head said I need to acquire an AR asap, while that’s still possible.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yeah I can’t say there was much involved for me beyond a strong gut feeling, but a couple months back a voice in my head said I need to acquire an AR asap, while that’s still possible.

The possibility of Hillary winning in 2016 got me the Colt ARs I have today.

The fear of Kamal has me buying > 10 round magazines for everything I have: ARs, Mini-14, Glocks, Browning BAR, 10/22, etc....

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I am gonna get a new safe before I get another gun, unless a guide gun or a coach gun or .45 suppressor host jump out in front of me, because I am outta room

Yep. Picked up another safe earlier this year. Already "full". Pretty sure I could cram another guide gun in there, though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Roadking's stated delema only applies to a narrow band on the gunowner spectrum .

If you have nothing ( or nothing in an important catagory ) , you're going to bite the bullet , and pay what you have to pay.

If you already have a comfortable plethora , you're open to getting additional firearms to use your existing stash of ammo OR you have enough other firearms to handle imeadate requirements until ammo availability improves .

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I’m hoping to find the right deal on a Ruger GP100 4” 357 or a S&W 586/686 4” 357.
    Only other thing maybe a Glock 20 in 10mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom