• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My only experience with hangfires was with surplus ammo that was probably not stored in the best of conditions. Had some complete duds, but more than a few that cooked slowly before going off. Never having fired a flintlock, but was able to simulate it with my SKS until the ammo was gone. Luckily, there was only about 50 rounds of it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My only experience with hangfires was with surplus ammo that was probably not stored in the best of conditions. Had some complete duds, but more than a few that cooked slowly before going off. Never having fired a flintlock, but was able to simulate it with my SKS until the ammo was gone. Luckily, there was only about 50 rounds of it.

That would be a weird experience.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I had hangfires with 6.5 Remington magnum using cci standard primers with Reloader 19 click...bang. I swapped to magnum primers and had no further problems.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    In action shooting matches, competitors eat the time for stoppages and malfunctions. Just about every competitor will immediately rack the slide and eject a round that fails to fire. So, possible hangfires are basically ignored. The gun remains pointed in a safe direction and about the worst that can happen is the round detonates while outside or partially outside the chamber.

Possible squibs are a very different matter and handled cautiously.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    WAIT 30 seconds.

If the gun is a semi-auto, remove the magazine. Place it down on the bench, if there is one. After waiting the 30 seconds, cycle the slide to eject the round.

If the gun is a revolver, DO NOT rotate the cylinder. Open after 30 seconds and eject the round.

For bolt-action, or break-action rifles, wait the 30 seconds and open the action.

Careful how you use the phrase, "hang fire." A round that doesn't go off isn't a hang fire. A hang fire is a delayed discharge.

IF you get an irregular sound upon firing, a pop instead of a BOOM, stop shooting and check your barrel for an obstruction. This would be called a "squib load." Any round fired after a squib can blow up you gun....

Last edited:

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I've experienced a few hangfires with my K98K while using some old Syrian ammo. It is a weird feeling when you pull the trigger and slightly later it fires. None have been more than a second though.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    WAIT 30 seconds.

If the gun is a semi-auto, remove the magazine. Place it down on the bench, if there is one. After waiting the 30 seconds, cycle the slide to eject the round.

If the gun is a revolver, DO NOT rotate the cylinder. Open after 30 seconds and eject the round.

For bolt-action, or break-action rifles, wait the 30 seconds and open the action.

Careful how you use the phrase, "hang fire." A round that doesn't go off isn't a hang fire. A hang fire is a delayed discharge.

IF you get an irregular sound upon firing, a pop instead of a BOOM, stop shooting and check your barrel for an obstruction. This would be called a "squib load." Any round fired after a squib can blow up you gun....

I hope you meant wait 30 seconds before putting it on the bench.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    30 seconds to a minute for modern ammo, firearm is always pointed down range while ejecting the round. Put spent round in an empty metal ammo can away from people (in case, it cooks off)

2 minutes for black powder.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    30 seconds to a minute for modern ammo, firearm is always pointed down range while ejecting the round. Put spent round in an empty metal ammo can away from people (in case, it cooks off)

2 minutes for black powder.

Once the breech is unlocked, if the round fires, it will not discharge the bullet.

Stuff will be coming out the ejection port or around the bolt/breech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom