• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I'm looking at a new caliber, just for poops and snickers. Prefer bolt action, but AR-15 platform is fine too. For the sake of having the poll in 1 spot, please check it out on my website.

https://benspelledabc.me/polls/8/

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    What type of shooting would you be looking to enjoy with said new caliber?

Info is on the site w/ poll but.. mostly 100-600 yard shots at groundhogs and gongs. The occasional shot at a deer is why there needs to be a 1,200 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, for legal requirements.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unanswerable from your list , if your criteria have anything resembling equal weight . Instead :

1. .257 Roberts . A cool caliber , and probably The Golden Age dual purpose varmint & deer ctg , back when the concept was taken very seriously . But in the Golden Age, 400yd was a long shot , and 600yds trajectory would be lacking by modern standards .

2. A dozen various 6mm Wildcats . But not on the list , nor most of them official SAAMI ( or CIP) cartridges .

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Very popular now to get pistol caliber rifle/straight-walled cartridge because of the change in DNR rules. 500 Smith&awesome lever gun? Old school 38-55? Fun stuff

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Very popular now to get pistol caliber rifle/straight-walled cartridge because of the change in DNR rules. 500 Smith&awesome lever gun? Old school 38-55? Fun stuff

I like the way you think. Right now I only hunt on my own private land which is in Westminster, where rifles are allowed. Getting a straight wall would be handy, Ii would probably go w/ 45-70 gov of my brother in laws.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I like the way you think. Right now I only hunt on my own private land which is in Westminster, where rifles are allowed. Getting a straight wall would be handy, Ii would probably go w/ 45-70 gov of my brother in laws.

.45-70 is also a hoot to shoot in a handgun. It is my Manly handgun!:D:thumbsup:

Get yourself a T/C Contender or Encore then you can try out new calibers by just buying a barrel.
    Here are a couple of lists of available chamberings:

Contender Barrels
    https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/oldcustom-contender-barrels

Encore Barrels
    https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/oldcustom-encore-barrels

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    300 Blackout. Also good for PEW, PEW. Very quiet and designed for subsonic range of 200 meters.

You can push a caliber specific 150 gr bullet to 2150 fps for hunting deer.

Right now, ammo is difficult to get. Consider that in your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom