• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Guy on the right: where does his chin(s) stop and his lip(s) start???:lol2:
    Somewhere above his va-jj...:innocent0

This thread quickly morphed from gun stereotypes to people stereotypes. Weird...

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am ok in my manhood shooting 308, especially out of the M1A NM.
    Oh and I love 22's as well.
    I don't own a .40.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Speaking as a complete non-hunting outsider, the "controversies" over hunting rounds has always struck me as 100% Fuddlore which completely ignore any advances in what we've learned about terminal ballistics. Who cares if you're shooting .270W or .308W or .350L or whatever? Pick a good hunting load, and put the bullet where it's supposed to go, and your animal is gonna go down. I am willing to entertain that I'm wrong about this, but it seems utterly inexplicable... doubly so when most dudes seem to be creeping up on deer at 40-60yds before taking their shot.

For most hunting applications you are correct. If you know your rifle any capable “hunting round”, will do the job. It’s when shooting game “at distance”, is when things change. As much as I love and shoot my 45-70, I don’t feel comfortable shooting at game more than 175 yards away. With the 30-06 or 6.5 that range is no problem, because the bullet drop and is much easier to predict. With a good rest, and with the 6.5 I would have no problems taking deer at over 300 yards.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    My caliber choices are based on personal likes, my cheapness and availability.
    I really don't hunt anymore and shooting in the last 12 months has pretty much been 10 rounds of 9mm and 20 rounds of .22 a month.
    Only ammo I keep in stock is 12 ga, 20 ga, 9mm, .380, .308, 7.62x39, .22, .38, .357 and .223.

I don't know enough about trendy stuff to poke at shooters, but the thread has been entertaining.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For most hunting applications you are correct. If you know your rifle any capable “hunting round”, will do the job. It’s when shooting game “at distance”, is when things change. As much as I love and shoot my 45-70, I don’t feel comfortable shooting at game more than 175 yards away. With the 30-06 or 6.5 that range is no problem, because the bullet drop and is much easier to predict. With a good rest, and with the 6.5 I would have no problems taking deer at over 300 yards.
    But this is all just knowing your drops and reticle, no? Like, I don't see how it's all that big a deal. Unless you are telling me that hunters don't know those things?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    But this is all just knowing your drops and reticle, no? Like, I don't see how it's all that big a deal. Unless you are telling me that hunters don't know those things?

Many and most don't. Two different games. Very different thinking. They're hunters, not shooters. Then there are some of us, a minority of us, who are both. Kind of like bullseye and defensive pistol shooters here. Precision versus speed. Center mass vs. center X. About the only commonality is they both use a pistol and ammo. Even those are different.

Here in the east especially, big game is largely deer, and ranges tend to be shorter, and well within point and shoot capability for any number of centerfire rifles. So many hunters here might sight in with 10 rounds, probably at 100 yards when available, and shoot a few more rounds during deer season. Then they put the rifle away, until they do the same thing again next fall. It's why you want to buy certain rifles from hunters, and not shooters. Want a good 1970's era Remington 700? One with maybe 400 rounds through it? They're out there. Just don't buy one from a shooter. Find a hunter, and you might just find yourself a mechanically new 50 year old rifle.

Amongst hunters, 300 yards is going to be almost universally considered "very long range", for deer hunters here. Not so with a long range shooter. Now should you encounter a dedicated varmint hunter, you're dealing with a whole different guy, with some crossover, and with reticles and differences (per your example) very much more a part of his world.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Attachments

• 22LR MEME.jpg
      22LR MEME.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 250

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Too many cartridges out there. I limit mine to 06, 22, 7.62x39, 12 ga and 44 Mag. Love the 30/40 but will be selling rifle, ammo, casings and dies simply because I just don't need it.
    "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify, simplify! I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand; instead of a million count half a dozen, and keep your accounts on your thumb-nail."
    Signed,
    Horatio Snakeshit

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And the flip side to Simplify ! is that in the cyclical ammo shortages , the most popular cals are the first to disappear .

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Many and most don't. Two different games. Very different thinking. They're hunters, not shooters. Then there are some of us, a minority of us, who are both. Kind of like bullseye and defensive pistol shooters here. Precision versus speed. Center mass vs. center X. About the only commonality is they both use a pistol and ammo. Even those are different.
    Absolutely concur with this. If I only have a limited number of days to prep for deer season, I'm not going to spend it all at the range. Most of my time I'm going to spend just walking in the woods, scouting. Then I'll spend some time prepping my gear, some time prepping my stand, and some time at the range.
    And I don't spend all year prepping for deer season, because after deer comes ducks, after ducks comes turkeys, and totally different ballgames for all of them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

Dont forget to factor in diminishing or poor light, rain or snow- moving game and the inability to accurately judge distance on fleeting/alert game.
    Shooting without a rest or the inability to judge distance being the most common error trap for inexperienced persons.
    Every body thinks 150 yards is 400 when they tell the tale especially near dark.
    Most people couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a handful of rice when you get right down to it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    .45-70 ( and big bore BPCtg generally ) can shoot through a Buffalo @ 1,000 yds
    IF you can accurately judge range , intimately know your trajectory , and quickly dial it into your vernier tang sight .

But modern sensibilities expect a rifle to be able to hit " deer sized critter " out to 90 something percentile hunting distances without adjusting sights , and only minor hold over/ under . Dozens " modern hunting ctgs " can do this .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom