• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    OK, even after studying the sticky thread, I still don't understand 922(r).

If I had a NORINCO SKS acquired somewhere around 1994 (assuming it was legal and came into the U.S. pre-ban), would it automatically violate 922(r) just by existing? Because it certainly would have more than 10 imported parts.

The language of 922(r) talks about "assemble from imported parts." that wouldn't be the case if the entire rifle were legally imported, would it?

And how about if, say, the original NORINCO bolt and slamfire-susceptible firing pin were replaced by U.S.-made ones? That wouldn't count as "assembling," would it?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    922r doesn't pertain to guns that are in their original form as they were imported. It only comes into play once you modify the gun. So left all original the Norinico SKS is perfectly legal. Now if you start replacing parts or modifying it, then you need to change enough parts be compliant.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So replacing a bolt and/or firing pin (like if they broke) would count as "assembling"? Not according to what I understand the word to mean.

If so, in order to do that, you'd have to simultaneously switch out enough parts so that there would only be 10 or less original foreign parts left?

That's insane. Not that anyone cares...

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Who's going to check? Replacing a broken part is just that...not upgrading.

"He was pulled over for a broken tail light, upon further inspection we found that the firing pin in his sks in the trunk had been unlawfully switched!"

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Replacing a broken part is just that...not upgrading.

"Upgrading" may be an issue, but that word isn't mentioned in the law. The wording used is "assemble from imported parts." Which to me means starting from zero, buying individual parts, and building a prohibited-from-importation firearm.

I agree that replacing parts that were already there doesn't look to be covered by 922(r).

Whether anyone would know or not is a completely different question...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    922r comes into play when you modify your gun into a non-importable format - for example, throwing a folder pistol grip stock on it.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    OK, even after studying the sticky thread, I still don't understand 922(r).

If I had a NORINCO SKS acquired somewhere around 1994 (assuming it was legal and came into the U.S. pre-ban), would it automatically violate 922(r) just by existing? Because it certainly would have more than 10 imported parts.

The language of 922(r) talks about "assemble from imported parts." that wouldn't be the case if the entire rifle were legally imported, would it?

And how about if, say, the original NORINCO bolt and slamfire-susceptible firing pin were replaced by U.S.-made ones? That wouldn't count as "assembling," would it?

The slamfire issue is common to all SKSs. Some have a neutral or negative hammer to sear engagement which creates the condition. A few minutes with stones corrects this. The sear is case hardened and you cannot remove too much material so the goal is simply to change the angle on the hammer and sear, until the hammer goes back slightly before falling when the trigger is pulled. That is characteristic of a positive hammer to sear engagement, and a safe weapon.

Replacing the firing pin and adding a spring is unnecessary and the spring can break which leads to the slamfire problem, anyway! It also collects debris in the firing pin channel requiring more frequent disassembly for cleaning, especially when using surplus ammo.

Some people swear by it, but millions have been used all over the world without the springs and served very well. Don't fix what ain't broke and you will have no issues.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The slamfire issue is common to all SKSs.

I really am not competent enough to be screwing around with the sear.

I thought the slamfire issue occurred because the original firing pin would get stuck in the forward position, because of its geometry. know I have a U.S.-made firing pin with a spring in the gun, and I'm pretty-sure I've got a U.S.-made bolt -- though why, I can't remember -- it may have been required because of the firing pin...

Dave M

Jan 27, 2013
    Pa.
    Come on man, you know we are gun owners. We can't leave things alone. Thats like having a Harley, Truck, Car, Boat or anything else and leaving it bone stock. Man thats just un American. Besides if they ever confiscate our guns their not going to look at parts. Their going to destroy them. Just ask anybody in Australia, and the left doesn't know the parts anyway. O thats right, its the thingy "black thingy". Still unconstitutional laws in IMO. Sorry if I'm ranting. Have a great afternoon. :innocent0

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I really am not competent enough to be screwing around with the sear.

I thought the slamfire issue occurred because the original firing pin would get stuck in the forward position, because of its geometry. know I have a U.S.-made firing pin with a spring in the gun, and I'm pretty-sure I've got a U.S.-made bolt -- though why, I can't remember -- it may have been required because of the firing pin...

The bolt is likely the original Chinese bolt with a Murray's firing pin and spring installed. Bolts are not always an interchangible part without some fitment.

Even with the spring and Murray's pin, the firing pin can get stuck and is more likely because it tends to collect debris. A standard firing pin can be cleaned sufficiently without disassembling the bolt to remove any debris in the channel.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The firing pin spring won't count as modifying the carbine for 922R compliance per ATF. Neither does replacing the stock with a monte carlo style stock according to the ATF.

What does count is removing the fixed mag to use detachable mags. Do this on a Chinese or Russian SKS and you have to replace 2 other parts with US made parts (e.g stock and handguard). On a Yugo you would have to replace a 3rd part, which is why there were US made gas pistons.

If you live in MD and didn't do the mods before the 2013 MD Assault Weapons ban it is too late. Can't even put a tactical stock on it since without the mag swap there aren't enough US made parts available to get the foreign parts count down to 10 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom