• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    30/30 is not straight walled. You could however use it in those counties that are currently ok for rifles. Places like most of Frederick and the western counties, Carrol, Caroline, and a few others.

Got it confused w .30 carbine. Can't see why that wouldn't work w a 308 can? Not sure I'd want to shoot a deer with it. Guess I need their new 45/70 capable can then and wait a year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah go 45/70, maybe 450 BM. Don’t think the 30 Carbine is gonna make the 1200 fpe.

Not even with a tail wind. 2000fps and 110gr is 970ft-lbs.

Hottest load I can find in any reloading manual is 2079fps with 15.5gr of H110.

Though Lee claims 15gr of H110 is the max and will get you 2106fps with a 110gr RN.

At any rate, that’s still only about 1100ft-lbs for the absolutely hottest load you can make.

Maybe if someone had made like a 22” bolt or lever gun in .30 carbine you could get the extra 100+FPS you’d need to generate MD legal energy.

PS why I kind of consider it crap. Realistically with a good JSP .30 carbine round it’ll kill deer just fine to 100yds. Certainly better than most pistols rounds that only have to be 700ft-lbs.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not even with a tail wind. 2000fps and 110gr is 970ft-lbs.

Hottest load I can find in any reloading manual is 2079fps with 15.5gr of H110.

Though Lee claims 15gr of H110 is the max and will get you 2106fps with a 110gr RN.

At any rate, that’s still only about 1100ft-lbs for the absolutely hottest load you can make.

Maybe if someone had made like a 22” bolt or lever gun in .30 carbine you could get the extra 100+FPS you’d need to generate MD legal energy.

PS why I kind of consider it crap. Realistically with a good JSP .30 carbine round it’ll kill deer just fine to 100yds. Certainly better than most pistols rounds that only have to be 700ft-lbs.

Agreed, guess you have to have some limitations, otherwise some yahoo(s) will be going around wounding animals with underpowered rounds.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have a .50 Beowulf that should do nicely.

Very nicely. Debating between the Beowulf and the Bushmaster. Any opinions? Silencer options seem to point to the Bushmaster but interested if you have any other input. It will be a low round count hunting rifle so ammo cost isn’t really a factor.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Very nicely. Debating between the Beowulf and the Bushmaster. Any opinions? Silencer options seem to point to the Bushmaster but interested if you have any other input. It will be a low round count hunting rifle so ammo cost isn’t really a factor.

I build the Beo a few years back. I really like the .450 BM. I think I'd go for that. I need to get my lathe set up so I can make a .50 cal suppressor.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Agreed, guess you have to have some limitations, otherwise some yahoo(s) will be going around wounding animals with underpowered rounds.

I used to deer hunt in Accomac County Va until a few years ago. Their minimum energy requirement for deer hunting with a handgun was low enough that a good 9mm could legally be used. Not sure how many did, if any. But there was no widespread wounding of deer. Most hunters have common sense and don't want to wound animals. We dont need arbitrary and useless regulations from idiot politicians with no expertise in the matter making the rules. Kinda like firearm laws, huh?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I used to deer hunt in Accomac County Va until a few years ago. Their minimum energy requirement for deer hunting with a handgun was low enough that a good 9mm could legally be used. Not sure how many did, if any. But there was no widespread wounding of deer. Most hunters have common sense and don't want to wound animals. We dont need arbitrary and useless regulations from idiot politicians with no expertise in the matter making the rules. Kinda like firearm laws, huh?

:) Yeah, but they’re not saying you can’t use a .22 caliber something, just not a .22LR.
    Lots of arbitrary rules we have to live with. Here’s one; why is non seatbelt use a ticket incurring offense and use of headlights in a rain storm is not? One only involves your safety the other the safety of others around you.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I build the Beo a few years back. I really like the .450 BM. I think I'd go for that. I need to get my lathe set up so I can make a .50 cal suppressor.

Thanks to your advice, a Tromix builders special, and Joe Bob Outfitters,I have a 450 Bushmaster upper and some ammo coming.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks to your advice, a Tromix builders special, and Joe Bob Outfitters,I have a 450 Bushmaster upper and some ammo coming.

I think my .50 is a Tromix bolt/barrel. They are very nicely done. Let us know how you like it. I think you made a great choice. I may need to do a .450 (dammit, I SWORE I didn’t need another AR).

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I think my .50 is a Tromix bolt/barrel. They are very nicely done. Let us know how you like it. I think you made a great choice. I may need to do a .450 (dammit, I SWORE I didn’t need another AR).

I think so too. I think my son is going to love it. I can bad mouth it if you want to save some money, or tell the truth if not. Choice is yours.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think so too. I think my son is going to love it. I can bad mouth it if you want to save some money, or tell the truth if not. Choice is yours.

Tell the truth. Maybe I’ll sell the .50 upper.

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    Well , it passed. The new 20-21 DNR booklet is on the website.
    What used to be the shotgun only counties can now use any straight walled caliber ( pistol or rifle caliber) as long as it meets the 700 foot lb muzzle energy for pistols and 1200 foot lbs for rifle as required in the other rifle/ handgun counties.

Off the top of my head, 41 mag, 44 mag, 454 casull, 460 S&W, 480 Ruger, 50 AE, 500 S&W, 375 Win, 38-55, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45/70 Gov., 350 legend & 450 bush for the AR guys

OLSKOL59

Jun 24, 2018
    Yay , a reason to break out my encore 460 barrel. But iv,e been using the ml for years for longer field shots.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I've searched and found ballistics/energy specs for handguns, say 44mag, but can't find a similar chart for the same round in a rifle. Any help appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom