• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    My mechanical engineer daughter who works for Stanley/Dewalt would probably love this discussion.

My brother also works for them. In a marketing capacity though.

That being said, I’m more of a Milwaukee guy

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, my little hint to help tame down "chicken wing" (if you even care about it). Next time you take a drink of a beverage, notice how you chicken wing your arm. You can easily tuck your elbow in and sort of push your drink up from the bottom. This is just like tucking in the wing. This is something that could help build muscle memory to keep that elbow from popping to the side.

I do it when I think about it. YMMV

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Great day at the range today. Shot mostly rifle, but played around with pistol taking shots at steel at 100 yards - surprisingly, we both made a several hits.

Rifle drills we ran:
    2x - two "A" zone shots at 7 yards from low ready.
    2x2 - same as above with a transition to another target for a total of 4 shots
    3x3 - two A and one 3x5 "head shot," two targets.

We also went out to 250 yards prone, and 50 and 100 from standing.

My buddy was doing better than I was, consistently getting two A zone hits in about 1.1 sec . I was pretty inconsistent and varied between 1-1.5. I also had my first "trigger freeze" experience - I was gripping too tightly and didn't allow the trigger to reset before attempting the next shot. I've got a lot of work to do...it's amazing how much I've learned in one afternoon shooting against the timer - optic height, cheek weld, grip - I'm beginning to question these things I thought I knew and was comfortable with. Getting off of the static/square 100yd range is a blast!

We finished up with 100 yard pistol attempts from standing. In my last round, I nailed 3/5 shots and figured I'd better call it a day ;)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Great day at the range today. Shot mostly rifle, but played around with pistol taking shots at steel at 100 yards - surprisingly, we both made a several hits.

Rifle drills we ran:
    2x - two "A" zone shots at 7 yards from low ready.
    2x2 - same as above with a transition to another target for a total of 4 shots
    3x3 - two A and one 3x5 "head shot," two targets.

We also went out to 250 yards prone, and 50 and 100 from standing.

My buddy was doing better than I was, consistently getting two A zone hits in about 1.1 sec . I was pretty inconsistent and varied between 1-1.5. I also had my first "trigger freeze" experience - I was gripping too tightly and didn't allow the trigger to reset before attempting the next shot. I've got a lot of work to do...it's amazing how much I've learned in one afternoon shooting against the timer - optic height, cheek weld, grip - I'm beginning to question these things I thought I knew and was comfortable with. Getting off of the static/square 100yd range is a blast!

We finished up with 100 yard pistol attempts from standing. In my last round, I nailed 3/5 shots and figured I'd better call it a day ;)

What's an A zone?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    What's an A zone?

These are the style targets we're using.

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Target-USPSA-Cardboard-Targets/dp/B079MDSZX8

41M9K0Hvz9L._AC_.jpg

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    One of our favorite drills is to put up 3 oval targets of different colors, orange, blue and black spaced out. They were cheap at a gun show and measure ~12x18.

Then with some mags loaded with 9-13 rounds and either with pistol holstered or carbine at low ready, have partner call out a color for shooter to double tap. Then call out two colors and repeat. Then 3 colors in random order. By loading odd number of rounds and double tapping, it forces a mag change mid stream.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    Home invasion exercise

Here's a home invasion exercise for heavy sleepers who need an alarm clock to wake up in the morning.
    1. When your alarm goes off tomorrow morning, pretend it's the noise an intruder made.
    a. How long did it take to acquire your weapon?
    b. How long did it take to ascertain it was loaded and ready to fire?
    c. How long did it take to aim and was there enough light to ascertain your
    that your intruder was not a family member?
    d. At what point did your finger rest on the trigger?

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    There are tons of very useful drills for the range, IMO. But I also get a lot out of dry fire/practice.

I have a love/hate relationship with dot torture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom