• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    OK, need the brain trust here.

I have a squirrel problem (at least I think it's squirrels doing the damage). they have found my car and have started chewing on hoses. fixed a fuel leak last saturday where they had chewed thru a rubber line, went to drive the car yesterday and had a new hole. Had hung moth balls under the car and did not seem to deter them. My house backs up to woods. I told the wife I was gong to eradicate them, and she protested... but f that.

I plan to replace as much of the rubber lines as I can with hard lines, but that will take a couple weeks to get done.

I saw a lethal trap on amazon, was going to see if tractor supply had anything. also have a box of 22 bird shot but can't shoot around my car !

any other suggestions are most welcome.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I don't know if this would work but you could try scattering moth balls under the car? A lot of animals don't like them. Pellet gun with some corn away from car would be better. Good luck.

Sorry I didn't read all thru your post the first time.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    .22 bird shot is useless for squirrels. Patterns are blown out due to the spin induced by the rifled barrel. It is loaded with #12 shot that will not penetrate the squirrel's skin unless you are within about 6 feet, and even then probably won't kill it cleanly. Skip that idea... At minimum, a .410 with #7-1/2 or larger, keep shots within about 20-25 yards.

"Lethal" traps can be lethal to non-target animals, and need to be used very carefully to exclude pets and other non-targets.

Squirrels are fairly easily trapped in a box/cage trap baited with peanut butter. Make sure the trap is large enough (20" minimum) or the doors won't close fully and the squirrel can back out. Once you 'miss' one in the trap, it will be almost impossible to get him to go back into the trap.

Once trapped, you can do what you will...relocate (at least a couple miles), euthanize, etc..

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    .22 bird shot is useless for squirrels. Patterns are blown out due to the spin induced by the rifled barrel. It is loaded with #12 shot that will not penetrate the squirrel's skin unless you are within about 6 feet, and even then probably won't kill it cleanly. Skip that idea... At minimum, a .410 with #7-1/2 or larger, keep shots within about 20-25 yards.

"Lethal" traps can be lethal to non-target animals, and need to be used very carefully to exclude pets and other non-targets.

Squirrels are fairly easily trapped in a box/cage trap baited with peanut butter. Make sure the trap is large enough (20" minimum) or the doors won't close fully and the squirrel can back out. Once you 'miss' one in the trap, it will be almost impossible to get him to go back into the trap.

Once trapped, you can do what you will...relocate (at least a couple miles), euthanize, etc..

I have good success with a havahart small trap for both squirrels and baby rabbits. The later get relocated...

Though my setup I can whack them with 22s just fine on my property. Sure it’s not mice?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    OK, need the brain trust here.

I have a squirrel problem (at least I think it's squirrels doing the damage). they have found my car and have started chewing on hoses. fixed a fuel leak last saturday where they had chewed thru a rubber line, went to drive the car yesterday and had a new hole. Had hung moth balls under the car and did not seem to deter them. My house backs up to woods. I told the wife I was gong to eradicate them, and she protested... but f that.

I plan to replace as much of the rubber lines as I can with hard lines, but that will take a couple weeks to get done.

I saw a lethal trap on amazon, was going to see if tractor supply had anything. also have a box of 22 bird shot but can't shoot around my car !

any other suggestions are most welcome.

When I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba the Banana rats would chew anything rubber especially the radiator hoses. I hung some socks with mothballs in the engine compartment it solved the problem. Yes you will smell it too outside as we could not kill them they were protected. Most critters cannot stand the smell of mothballs. We had a woodchuck issue through a box in the hole and it moved to our neighbors.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I have good success with a havahart small trap for both squirrels and baby rabbits. The later get relocated...

Though my setup I can whack them with 22s just fine on my property. Sure it’s not mice?

This would be my guess as well.

Things can get dangerous with this - I had an electrical line chewed through that eventually caused the car to stall (shutdown actually) on a right hand turn. The mechanic found mouse droppings in the air filter.

I think this is related to the "environmentally sound" starchy coatings on wires and some hoses that are used to replace plastic (from what I've heard - no research done).

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

no not sure it is not mice or even chipmunks, but my fuel lines are far enough off the ground and the bite marks look like they are directed from the ground that I don't think it's anything smaller than a squirrel. THey have previously gotten my propane supply line on my camper but haven't bothered that for a while.

going to go the trap route and xxxxxx route. many many years ago when I lived in a neighborhood, had a neighbor with a mouse problem... he would live trap, dump them down the storm drain next to MY house... all of a sudden I started having a mouse problem. will not do that to anyone else.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I think this is related to the "environmentally sound" starchy coatings on wires and some hoses that are used to replace plastic (from what I've heard - no research done).

I have heard that too.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    , had a neighbor with a mouse problem... he would live trap, dump them down the storm drain next to MY house... all of a sudden I started having a mouse problem. will not do that to anyone else.

Should have done the same thing to your neighbor. You know, give somebody down the road a bad neighbor problem. :)

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have heard that too.

The majority of Japanese and Korean autos have now switched to wiring insulation made from soybeans and other nature products. They are having issues because they make tasty treats for our furry friends. Buy American, just because it is made here does not make it American. Parts are made in their host countries shipped here and assembled here. Such as wiring harnesses.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I have been using Bounce fabric softener dryer sheets under the seat of my ATV over the winter to keep mice from chewing the wires and building a nest in the air filter chamber. Have not had mice since, don't know if works on squirrels.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have been using Bounce fabric softener dryer sheets under the seat of my ATV over the winter to keep mice from chewing the wires and building a nest in the air filter chamber. Have not had mice since, don't know if works on squirrels.

It makes them soft and smell fresh if that's what you mean.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    After years of using the normal single catch havaheart traps my father switched to a Squirrelinator multi catch trap. IT IS AMAZING. Some days he will catch 4 squirrels in the trap several times. It seems that after you catch one the others get jealous and they all run in. Pellet gun from a few meters away takes care of them after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom