• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am recently certified as a NRA RSO as well as a Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor and working on getting my HQL Instructor certification. Does anyone have a PPT slide deck I can get a copy of for the HQL class?

I have ones for Rifle and Pistol and created one for Shotgun, which, once I am done editing I will be happy to share.

Edit.. nm.. read your post wrong.. mia culpa.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Well I have the PPT slides ready for NRA Shotgun and the others. Even have slide decks fro Boy Scouts. Still have not located a basic slide deck for HQL. Anyone have one they care to share?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Well I have the PPT slides ready for NRA Shotgun and the others. Even have slide decks fro Boy Scouts. Still have not located a basic slide deck for HQL. Anyone have one they care to share?

I took the NRA basic pistol deck, stripped the nra logos. Dropped seated shooting. Dropped scoring targets. Dripped a few other things. Added the home firearm safety slides. Added some examples of locks and safes and storage devices. Added the missing rules of firearm safety and repeated them between each section.

It needs work and I revise it every time I use it.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Mine are set up with pictures of our range to use as examples, and have added some safety additions needed for our members and guests according to the SOP guidelines established by our CRSO and the board of directors at our facility. Most everyone who takes our courses shoot at our range, and we are very careful about reinforcing safety guidelines versus scoring targets, etc.. I've also set up home firearm safety slides including storage, etc... as it seemed to be a common theme with related questions among my students. I also show examples of locks and slides of storage devices, etc... as many of my students are not gun people and have reservations about firearms to begin with. I'm lucky as several of my fellow instructors are police/Swat guys and attorneys with experience litigating firearm issues so that part of the course is deferred to their expertise, and they have their own slides.

IMO, the NRA slides and basic course are a template of sorts. but lack some real world examples and information that are beneficial to folks interested in learning more than the very basics of marksmanship, and shooting positions. Most every instructor I know has their own slides that cover needed material and have additions to cover the circumstances and SOP at their club or range, etc.. We cover what is needed for the HQL, but add additional information that we feel is beneficial to better insure proper habits at our range and for general safety outside the basics of an HQL qualification course.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have some animations of how various guns work (revolvers, automatics, bolt action, semi-auto shotguns, etc) if anyone needs them for their slide decks.

I can make a slide deck off the syllabus, my biggest hangup is what laws or regulations to include in the deck. How in depth should I get?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Unless your a lawyer or LEO don't interpret the laws, just review and make aware. There USA short list on the MSP website. A google search can find most laws as well, just be sure the source is reliable and current.

TD

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I have some animations of how various guns work (revolvers, automatics, bolt action, semi-auto shotguns, etc) if anyone needs them for their slide decks.

I can make a slide deck off the syllabus, my biggest hangup is what laws or regulations to include in the deck. How in depth should I get?

He tools (hunter education tools) is free software with good firearms animations.

The MSP website has a sample course you can download. Make sure you include all the sections of law they cite.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yes I have extracted the animations from HE Tools (with their permission) and I see a Syllabus on the MSP website which I can certainly make a PPT slide deck from. Was just curious what laws or rules are gone over in class typically and what is just displayed in a slide. Will put something together and post it here if I can for input.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Yes I have extracted the animations from HE Tools (with their permission) and I see a Syllabus on the MSP website which I can certainly make a PPT slide deck from. Was just curious what laws or rules are gone over in class typically and what is just displayed in a slide. Will put something together and post it here if I can for input.

For hql class go over the laws pertaining to hql application, online process, handgun transport, magazines, provide students with a pdf of all md gun laws.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks. Being Maryland I assume that looks like a phonebook. I have also been told to just provide a link to the laws. Does that sound OK?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Thanks. Being Maryland I assume that looks like a phonebook. I have also been told to just provide a link to the laws. Does that sound OK?

IMO it's not ok to just do a link. I get inexpensive thumbdrives from amazon and every student gets one full of all the laws and other info. You should also be going over the applicable laws in your course.

TD

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I've added some videos to illustrate some point (you can find them all over the interwebs). They provoke good interaction and discussion. Interactive learning has a higher retention rate. That helps me facilitate learning, which is my course objective. I tell them up front that I don't care if thy get their HQL. I care if they learn critical lessons. If I achieve my objective, they'll automatically get what they need to achieve their objective. That little declaration seems to go over pretty well.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The HQL course is a VERY basic safety course. Cover handgun safety, Md law pertaining to first time buyers, storage and safe function of common firearm types, and safe use of a handgun. Once the students get their own handguns they can become familiar with them and take a more advanced course and hopefully continue to learn.

Do what the law says and don’t overwhelm students. I have found people want to learn to be safe and comfortable ultimately. That being said, you be you.

TD

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks everyone for the input. I put a slide deck together and it seems to work well. Cover overview of laws that pertain to the course and reference other laws in an Appendix at the end of the slide deck and as part of the student handout. Seems to work well. Again, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom