• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I belive that whatever training you are trying to use for the exemption it has to have been within the last 2 years or they won't accept it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    I belive that whatever training you are trying to use for the exemption it has to have been within the last 2 years or they won't accept it.

Yep, I saw the 2 year limitation. Just wondering if something like NRA RSO course would suffice or if there needed to be a live-fire component.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

I’ve also never heard of them taking anything aside from the MD W&C training. Tough to find 16+ hours of training, and it is still at their discretion. I threw a lot at them initially which was refused, but in the end it was easier to just spend some time with Moe at MSAR and enjoy some extra range time.

Even then you still need the DC Law specific class.

Inka

Apr 25, 2010
    I’ve also never heard of them taking anything aside from the MD W&C training. Tough to find 16+ hours of training, and it is still at their discretion. I threw a lot at them initially which was refused, but in the end it was easier to just spend some time with Moe at MSAR and enjoy some extra range time.

Even then you still need the DC Law specific class.

Good to know, thanks for posting-

fiddler

Jun 25, 2020
    My timeline for success:

I took the classroom portion of a course over a weekend in mid July and did the range training portion in mid August. I could have started the application before the range training portion but just wanted to keep things simple. My appointment when I called in August was scheduled on September 15th to start the process. I called to check on the status December 15th and it was "in the final approval phases." I received my CCW in the mail on 1/2 and it's dated 12/31.

shawngraham

Jan 13, 2021
    CCW in DC was EZ

1. Went online, found an instructor
    2. Took two-day class and two-hour range ($225 total)
    3. Obtained my CCW at end of range session

It couldn't have been easier.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    1. Went online, found an instructor
    2. Took two-day class and two-hour range ($225 total)
    3. Obtained my CCW at end of range session
    It couldn't have been easier.

Bull. I monitor the prices on all of them. No one in that price range provides range fees. Who was your instructor?

Btw when you include average lost earnings for those three days in getting a ccw, costs are more like $500.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Bull. I monitor the prices on all of them. No one in that price range provides range fees. Who was your instructor?

Btw when you include average lost earnings for those three days in getting a ccw, costs are more like $500.

LOL he has 2 posts and claims to have received CCW at end of range session as if DC Police gave range session!!!!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    LOL he has 2 posts and claims to have received CCW at end of range session as if DC Police gave range session!!!!
    I know. we are getting flooded with these troll accounts, probably the same one guy. clearly does NOT know the process and is implying it is cheap and easy and absurdly fast. My guess is they don.t have an CCW.

I picked premium instructor for my wife and kid. But i have been shooting a very long time and also know DC laws very very well so I have shopped by price for myself for courses and renewals.

You are also going to spend $75 on ammo. And $25 range fee. Unless you are slingingf ries at McDonalds, your mandated time is massively costly: if you make $75k a yearr you are also going to spend, at a minimum $870 of your own time for the three days (two days of course, 0.4 day of range 0.6 day of paperwork. Then there is the $75.

For the first two years of your CCW the MINIUM mandated license cost for a middle income person is $1,300. That is $850 per year. That is not gun or holsters etc, just license costs. My Virginial license cost me $38 a year including time spent doing paperwork.

And was given his ccw card at end of range session? What a LIAR.

fiddler

Jun 25, 2020
    I'm wondering if he's confusing the certificate of completion with a CCW. That's not a mistake I'd want to make!

Jazz

Nov 14, 2020
    Took DC, MD, VA class this month for $265 at MSAR, gun & ammo was included in class, if you wanted to shoot with 38 revolver (ammo shortage). Make sure you call to make an appointment...I thinknthe appointment time is about a week out.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Took DC, MD, VA class this month for $265 at MSAR, gun & ammo was included in class, if you wanted to shoot with 38 revolver (ammo shortage). Make sure you call to make an appointment...I thinknthe appointment time is about a week out.

make what appointment? You can make the appointment and do all the paperwork first. Process will still take 90-100 days.

And in terms of costs for the average person it is going to be over > $1,000 of their own time value plus fees.

jbonnie

Dec 20, 2020
    Does anyone know if there is some secret to making an appointment to submit your carry permit application with the MPD? They never answer the line you are supposed to call to make the appointment? Should I just show up at Indiana Avenue? Or maybe there is a Covid thing?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    They seem to have deliberately slowed everything down. Whether that is Covid related or the new regime down there is even more anti 2A who knows.

They even took down the online scheduling link.

You must have an appointment to do anything down there so just showing up is a pure exercise in futility.

You have to keep calling the appointment line. And leaving messages are useless you have to keep calling until someone answers.

Supposedly there is only one person working the appointment line and there is only one phone.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

jbonnie

Dec 20, 2020
    Ughh. Thank you very much for the intel. At least I have not been going about it incorrectly thus far, which I guess is a relief.

Jazz

Nov 14, 2020
    Does anyone know if there is some secret to making an appointment to submit your carry permit application with the MPD? They never answer the line you are supposed to call to make the appointment? Should I just show up at Indiana Avenue? Or maybe there is a Covid thing?
    Don't just show up. You'll be wasting your time. Call back to back or another MPD line and tell them to transfer you. I have to calm at least twice sometimes to get an answer.

jbonnie

Dec 20, 2020
    After countless attempts to connect with someone on the MPD appointment line, a lovely lady answered the telephone and pointed out that they DO have their online scheduling system up and running on their website. Easy peasey and lots of appointments available.

fiddler

Jun 25, 2020
    I saw that the old link for the FFL still works... (or at least it sounded like it was still just for the FFL duties, maybe it supports all firearms registration?) but they're no longer the ffl right? Do you mind posting a link to where you're scheduling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom