• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    I read something about a 2010 decision. Is it legal to carry in the National Parks policed by US Park Police? With a legit DC CCW permit of course. I couldn't find a clear explanation of this.

Thanks

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I read something about a 2010 decision. Is it legal to carry in the National Parks policed by US Park Police? With a legit DC CCW permit of course. I couldn't find a clear explanation of this.

Thanks

Im not a lawyer but I don't believe the DC permit is valid on federal grounds within the district.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Im not a lawyer but I don't believe the DC permit is valid on federal grounds within the district.

it is valid. Why would it be less valid than in Wyoming?
    what matters is the specific exclusions (white house/Congress grounds and specified perimeters) as well as memorials and facilities meaning buildings (and the federal facilities/buildings is the same in DC as in Wyoming or anywhere else in the US) . You certainly can walk around most of the National mall, rock creek etc carrying concealed with a DC permit. heck the tiny dog park I go to in DC is a federal park and I am legal carrying there.

You have to be somewhat careful about how close you get to the memorials, as the grounds of the memorials go out a bit from them

You can also do so in DC'scity owned parks, while you can not do that in more and more of Virginia).

spec federal related prohibition in DC Code:
    (10) The public memorials on the National Mall and along the Tidal Basin, and any area where firearms are prohibited under federal law or by a federal agency or entity, including U.S. Capitol buildings and grounds;

(11) The White House Complex and its grounds up to and including to the curb of the adjacent sidewalks touching the roadways of the area bounded by Constitution Avenue, N.W., 15th Street, N.W., H Street, N.W., and 17th Street, N.W.;

(12) The U.S. Naval Observatory and its fence line, including the area from the perimeter of its fence up to and including to the curb of the adjacent sidewalks touching the roadway of Observatory Circle, from Calvert Street, N.W., to Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., and around Observatory Circle to the far corner of Observatory Lane;

All prohibitions:
    https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2509.07.html

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Rock Creek Park has a list of buildings where CCW is not allowed, outdoor areas of the park it is allowed. I was at Shenandoah National Park recently and its the same there, some buildings are restricted but otherwise legal if you have a permit.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    In short, you can carry in National Parks provided you don't violate state (or DC) laws for carrying. This applies to open or concealed carry.

Generally US Government buildings in National Parks are no-carry zones, and are clearly marked with a 'no firearms' sign on the door. I've carried open in quite a few parks out West, and have my Utah CCW for other instances.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Rock Creek Park has a list of buildings where CCW is not allowed, outdoor areas of the park it is allowed. I was at Shenandoah National Park recently and its the same there, some buildings are restricted but otherwise legal if you have a permit.

My observations have been that those buildings which are exclusively the Park Service operations, such as the visitor center/restrooms at Big Meadows are posted. Those that are run by concessionaires are not posted.

Interestingly enough, the White Oak Canyon trail entrance is posted. I laughed and walked right past it because they can't do that.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    This is good information. My main reason for asking this question was for riding on the parkways around here (B/W and G/W) . Yes I know they are just roadways and not actual "parks" but I got arrested by US Park Police many moons ago for possession of a BB gun, while in a car on the parkway, not walking around in the national "park". US property has different rules I see. The BB gun is legal on state and county owned roads in Maryland and Virginia. I have a valid DC permit and want to know if US park rules trumped that

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    I just hiked the AT through Shenandoah National Park Open carrying the entire time. Interacted with NPS rangers and NPS law enforcement rangers multiple times and no one batted an eye.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a valid DC permit and want to know if US park rules trumped that
    I don't think it is trumped or not, it is you must be compliant with both. And in DC there is also US Capitol grounds regulations and boundaries to that established by US Code and Architect of the Capitol established boundaries.

I would say your two biggest risks while driving in DC would be inadvertent crossing into Maryland and the Capitol campus.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    I don't think it is trumped or not, it is you must be compliant with both. And in DC there is also US Capitol grounds regulations and boundaries to that established by US Code and Architect of the Capitol established boundaries.

I would say your two biggest risks while driving in DC would be inadvertent crossing into Maryland and the Capitol campus.

Well I won't be in the US grounds, just the parkways, but it is owned by the Park service. Not worried about MD as I just got my Maryland permit again this year :) Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom