• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    After October 1, 2013...

"A. A person is a Qualified Handgun Instructor if the person has: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    (1) A valid Qualified Handgun Instructor License issued by the Secretary in accordance with Regulation .38 of this chapter;
    (2) Been recognized by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions; or
    (3) A valid instructor certification issued by a nationally recognized firearms organization.
    B. A Qualified Handgun Instructor shall provide proof of certification or qualification to the Secretary before providing instruction to an applicant for a Handgun Qualification License or a handgun permit." (emphasis added)

Source: https://www.mdsp.org/Portals/0/Downloads/COMAR/29.03.01%20Regulated%20Firearms%20(9-11-13).pdf

[/FONT]

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Instructor Application

The list of currently approved Maryland State Police (MSP) Handgun Qualification Instructors (HQI) can be found on MSP's Google Apps website here.

There are two methods for registering/applying;
    1. When (or if) the MSP MyLicense automated software system becomes available, you will register here, online.

2. Until then, “In advance of online registration capability, qualified handgun instructors interested in providing classes, should email their eligibility credentials to msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov.” Source: Maryland State Police Licensing Division ADVISORY LD-HQLU 13-001

A suggested sample email is below.

SUGGESTED SAMPLE EMAIL
    TO: msp.handgunpermits@maryland.gov
    CC: Cpl. Robert Quirk - HQL Unit robert.quirk@maryland.gov
    SUBJECT: Request for approval/listing as Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor

To Whom It May Concern,

I hereby apply for and request approval as a Maryland State Police Certified/Qualified Handgun Instructor. In support of my request, the following certifications and credentials are provided;

[ ] Maryland State Police Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor ID# 212-______, and/or
    [ ] NRA Instructor ID Card, NRA# ________________, and/or;
    [ ] Maryland Police & Corrections Training Center Instructor ID #______________, or
    [ ] Other Firearms Instructor Credentials (from a Nationally Recognized Organization)

Also,

[ ] Please add my contact information to the public list of QHI’s maintained on the MSP Website as follows;
    Last Name:
    Middle Name:
    First Name:
    County: Contact Instructor
    Phone: Not Provided
    Email: <Your email>
    Should you require any additional information or have any questions, please contact me at the phone number below.

Sincerely,
    <YOUR NAME>
    <Your Contact Phone #>

Attachments: (Copies of all certifications & credentials)

Last edited:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Course Outline

People keep asking for the State Police and NRA to create a course to satsify Maryland's new "training requriements". First, I doubt that either party is going to do that for a number of legitimate reasons. Second, I do not belive it is in anyones best interest to have the MSP involved in creating course materials. The law is quite clear in what needs to be taught;

Note: I would make changes to the order to be more logical, i.e safety woudl be first and third, and handgun overview second, etc.

State Firearm Law
    ·Overview of laws
    ·Discussion regarding regulated firearms
    ·How to purchase
    ·How to transfer
    ·Where permitted to carry
    ·Where permitted to transport
    ·Where it is necessary to possess a permit
    ·Who is prohibited from possessing
    Home Firearm Safety
    ·Overview of firearm safety in the home
    ·Discussion on access to minors
    ·Locking & storing
    ·Proper use of safety devices
    ·Lock boxes & safes
    Handgun Mechanism & Operation
    ·Overview of proper operation
    ·Overview of safe handling
    ·Cleaning & maintenance
    ·Loading & unloading
    ·Differences between revolvers & automatics
    Range Evolutions
    • Range safety briefing
    • Review of the 3 rules of gun safety
    • Watch it, Practice it without a firearm, Practice it by dry fire
    • Fire at least one round of ammunition
    Additional Requirements
    The course must be at least 4 hours.
    There must be one "live round" fired. (The only requirement is safety - there is no requirement to acheive a particular score, or even to hit a particular target).

Last edited:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Providing Proof of Completion

Upon a person’s satisfactory completion of an applicable firearms training course, a Qualified Handgun Instructor shall provide the person a Firearms Safety Training Certificate that includes;
    • The person’s name and date of birth,
    • The instructor’s name,
    • Whether the completed course was a Firearms Safety Training Course or a Handgun Permit Training Course,
    • The length in hours of the course,
    • The date of course completion,
    • The location of the training,
    • A declaration certifying that the course met the minimum standards prescribed by the Secretary; and
    • A declaration certifying that the person completed the course.
    A sample certificate will be made available here, for your use, before October 1, 2013.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have been working on a syllabus, class outline, and powerpoint in anticipation of being able to get on the list. This information REALLY helps.

You da man.

TD

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have been working on a syllabus, class outline, and powerpoint in anticipation of being able to get on the list. This information REALLY helps.

You da man.

TD

Since the Governor appears to endorse education, I encourage you to consider adding the following topics to his minimum required outline;
    1. Violent crime facts & statistics
    2. History of Maryland laws
    3. Second Amendment Advocacy Opportunities
    3. Voter Registration

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I talked to Mark Richardson at NRA HQ yesterday and he said the NRA does not have such a course and will not create a course for Maryland. Way too many liabilities to consider especially concerning the LAW part. As well, the NRA is a National organization, NOT state specific. He asked me to email him (suggest others to do the same) with this information that the representatives said on record that the NRA has a four hour program that will meet state criteria. Once emailed, he will submit to the organization and they may or may not re-issue the statement/ email on this subject, to instructors.

People keep asking for the State Police and NRA to create a course to satsify Maryland's new "training requriements". First, I doubt that either party is going to do that for a number of legitimate reasons. Second, I do not belive it is in anyones best interest to have the MSP involved in creating course materials. The law is quite clear in what needs to be taught;

Note: I would make changes to the order to be more logical, i.e safety woudl be first and third, and handgun overview second, etc.

State Firearm Law
    ·Overview of laws
    ·How to purchase
    ·How to transfer
    Home Firearm Safety
    ·Locking & storing
    ·Lock boxes & safes
    ·Cleaning & maintenance
    ·Loading & unloading
    Range Evolutions
    • Range safety briefing
    Additional Requirements
    There must be one "live round" fired. (The only requirement is safety - there is no requirement to acheive a particular score, or even to hit a particular target).

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The NRA is not going to assist in developing a course, for obvious reasons.

You have all the information you need to meet Maryland's requirements to providing the mandated training & certification... if there is no injunction.
    How you do it is up to you, as lomg as you meet the legal requirements.

I am having difficulty understanding your goal.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    The NRA is not going to assist in developing a course, for obvious reasons.

You have all the information you need to meet Maryland's requirements to providing the mandated training & certification... if there is no injunction.

I am having difficulty understanding your goal.

I "think" the goal is to get MD GOV (et.all) to stop using the NRA course statement.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    We talked offline.

The MD Govt is going to do whatever they want. The MSP's allegation that any NRA course meets the requirements of SB281 was rebutted by the NRA reps at the AELR hearing, shortly after MSP made that claim.

Woodstock, bless his heart, just wants to do what the government wants, in a way that they say they want it done.

I explained that the government's goal is lack of instructors, few facilities, onerous processes, minimal course availability and, eventually - no guns. To be perfectly clear - the MSP isnt going to help you assist new gun owners becuase they created these policies specifically to reduce and eliminate gun sales.

Its not in the MSP's interest, nor the NRA's interest (for numerous reasons) to create course materials that meet Maryland's requirements.

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012

State Firearm Law
    ·Overview of laws
    ·How to purchase
    ·How to transfer
    Home Firearm Safety
    ·Locking & storing
    ·Lock boxes & safes
    ·Cleaning & maintenance
    ·Loading & unloading
    Range Evolutions
    • Range safety briefing
    Additional Requirements

Cypherpunk,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. This is an excellent outline. The only item the MSP has given conflicting information is on your last sentence. I was told verbally and it was put out by the MSP that a applicant would only have to fire one bullet. However, in the letter I received outlining the required topics which will have to be covered. the MSP changed that and now states in writing that the applicant will have to "hit the target".

Dukes Defense

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    This b.s is marylands law. They shoved it down our throats, let them figure out a course!
    Why are you all trying to set up classes for MSP? You are only assisting them in this travesty. If no instructors offered any HQL courses then it would be incumbent on them to do it. No classes = defacto gun ban. That would give us more teeth in the lawsuit. You all fought against this sh-- now you are enabling it. I just don't get it.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    basscat, i feel your pain. in fact i have started some threads stating EXACTLY what you are declaring. i am too inept at this computer shit to post the threads or posts i have commented on, but my main point is; why should WE civilians, qualified=certified instructors act as agents for the state?

i love cypherpunk like a brother and i am so grateful/ appreciative for the efforts that he and Ben Kelkye have done for the shooting community, but the evolution of what this state is laying down as law and the DIRECT violation of our CIVIL RIGHTS, constitutional right and God given right, i am in the opinion that if no instructors are available, the 2nd amendment is moot, according to maryland law, which will weigh heavily in the courts.

until now, my cries for help have fallen on deaf ears.

=basscat;2738309]This b.s is marylands law. They shoved it down our throats, let them figure out a course!
    Why are you all trying to set up classes for MSP? You are only assisting them in this travesty. If no instructors offered any HQL courses then it would be incumbent on them to do it. No classes = defacto gun ban. That would give us more teeth in the lawsuit. You all fought against this sh-- now you are enabling it. I just don't get it.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have this same debate with many people who are smarter than me.

There are no simple answers.

Someone would offer the course no matter the politics and I don't believe instructor availability is as limiting as ranges.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

Someone would offer the course no matter the politics and I don't believe instructor availability is as limiting as ranges.

so if ONE instructor, statewide, teaches the course, it's not a 2A issue?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

I really hope IWL is not going to offer this......I was not at the last meeting, can you confirm?

I agree 100% with basscat.

Maybe we should reach out to the ranges and get them not to allow use of their facilities.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Think about it this way:
    State says you must pass a written exam and practical test to get a license to drive. Any outside agencies doing this? No. It's the states baby. Their locations,their instructors, their tests, all run by the state. State says you must pass a written test and a hands on exam to become a state motor vehicle inspector. Again, their locations, their instructors, their course and exams. No problem for the state to handle this. Now with this HQL crap the state wants no part of it. No input. No defined course of study. They don't want to get involved. They have gone as far as telling their own firearm instructors that they would not be allowed to teach any of these courses on or off duty. Talk about distancing yourself from this cluster f---. The state is putting ALL the liability on you instructors. Let just one accident happen and watch the fallout.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    [/INDENT]

I wonder how many yahoo instructors are going to do what happened in Florida... i.e. have the student load and fire one .22 round into a bullet trap and call it a day.

That one round crap is for the birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom